• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm torn :( And I need opinions

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I am a person who was well-endowed with intelligence. I hate "tooting my own horn", but on the SATs I got a score of 1910, which is really good. On the ACTs I got a 28, and the average is 21. And on that day I forgot my calculator and had to do all the math without one. (I feel like such a smug arse hole right now)

I could easily get into almost any college I want to, and lately I've been looking at Dartmouth College. My passion is History, really, I love it. So I wanted to go into the Anthropology major. But then again, the money in anthropology isn't great. So I was also looking into a medical field, something like Radiology, where the money is really good. Or maybe go into something like Engineering. But Medical Science and Engineering to me is uninteresting and something I don't want to do. But the money would be great. So I really have no idea what to do and would like some advice. Should I got with my passion and do what I love? Or should I put my intelligence to something that would help a lot of people (and get me a lot of cash)?

A

angellous_evangellous

Life is too short to waste it on something that you're not passionate about.

Besides, if you're really that smart, you can figure out how to make money with it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What angellous said.

Plus, can't you get into med school with an anthropology undergrad?

Edit: is there something related to anthropology with better income prospects that you'd be passionate about? Human geography, maybe?

A

angellous_evangellous

What angellous said.

Plus, can't you get into med school with an anthropology undergrad?

Edit: is there something related to anthropology with better income prospects that you'd be passionate about? Human geography, maybe?

You can get into med school with just about any major, provided you take the requisite pre-med courses (chemistry, biology, human anatomy, etc).

I have a friend who is now in residency who took a Radio / TV / Film major. I can't imagine someone getting a degree farther removed from medicine.

xkatz

I am a person who was well-endowed with intelligence. I hate "tooting my own horn", but on the SATs I got a score of 1910, which is really good. On the ACTs I got a 28, and the average is 21. And on that day I forgot my calculator and had to do all the math without one. (I feel like such a smug arse hole right now)

I could easily get into almost any college I want to, and lately I've been looking at Dartmouth College. My passion is History, really, I love it. So I wanted to go into the Anthropology major. But then again, the money in anthropology isn't great. So I was also looking into a medical field, something like Radiology, where the money is really good. Or maybe go into something like Engineering. But Medical Science and Engineering to me is uninteresting and something I don't want to do. But the money would be great. So I really have no idea what to do and would like some advice. Should I got with my passion and do what I love? Or should I put my intelligence to something that would help a lot of people (and get me a lot of cash)?

1) We both got the same ACT score :D :)

2) Happiness > Money or material wealth

3) Maybe if you feel so conflicted, it would be best to apply as undecided? That way you can sort out your interests and find the major that best suits you. I say this because many people tend to change their minds once they learn more about their own major as well as other ones.

A

angellous_evangellous

1) We both got the same ACT score :D :)

Not to rare, now is it?

Now I'm going to say it: the SAT / ACT is a tool to measure mediocrity. High scores just demonstrate that you're a human being of average intelligence who can actually remember a thing or two.

It's like a ladies store moving their clothing down a few sizes so fat women can feel better about themselves.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Go with your passions. I've been thinking of shifting from archaeology to international relations and later go into journalism.
but as it is now I am seriously looking again into an MA in archaeology for the simple fact, that cultures and ancient cultures are my passion. even if I don't get to have a career in archaeology, I still study it, travel the world, visit other cultures and sites.
as for money, you can always make money.
go with your instincts. it will give you sanity at the end of the road.

Last edited:

xkatz

Not to rare, now is it?

Now I'm going to say it: the SAT / ACT is a tool to measure mediocrity. High scores just demonstrate that you're a human being of average intelligence who can actually remember a thing or two.

It's like a ladies store moving their clothing down a few sizes so fat women can feel better about themselves.

You sure know how to lower one's esteem :)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Research careers in the area in which you are interested in. Go into this with a plan. Because it's easy to say "Follow your passions", and you really will be happier if you do so, but it's a lot harder when you've graduated with student loans and no job. Find out about internships available too, so that you can see if this is something you would like to spend your time doing, and to get your foot in the door for possible job opportunities.

Also, if you are wise with your money, and make good life decisions (like not having 5 kids before you get your degree), you can live quite comfortably on salaries in fields not known for "making money". I suggest reading up on Dave Ramsey if you are interested in financial planning.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not knowing what you want to do. You can always hold off, find a job for a year, go overseas, and get to know yourself better before you decide. There is no hurry in it, you have a whole life ahead of you. I stopped studying, because it wasn't working for me. My heart wasn't in it. I moved back home to my parents and worked. I saved enough money to go to Australia, and I moved back out again. I started working again, and I've been at the supermarket for 2 years. I'm 24 and I've finally gotten an inspiration, a real keenness to do something that melds together several things I am passionate about.

It's ok to decide later, and it's ok to be unsure.

Or, if you would like to start something now, I suggest going with what you would love to do. No-one wants to do something they don't enjoy.

idea

Question Everything
engineers don't actually get paid that much (unless you go into the oil/gas industry).. and I would be dubious about going into the medical field because once socialized medicine takes hold, that will be a messy field to work in... you could be a lawyer? I had a friend who majored in history who is now working in the CIA ...whatever you do, do something that you enjoy!!!

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Thank you all for your advice! :D

I still have one more year of high-school, so I still have some time, but it's getting close haha. I just love learning about ancient Europe and that sort of thing. I absolutely love it more than anything. I'll probably end up going with that anyway, but it doesn't hurt to consider professions with lots o' cash!

Otherright

Otherright

Do something that is useful to society, something in demand, and is something you enjoy, or can tolerate.

The money in engineering is good, if you don't mind being a process engineer. I work with several. Medical science is more than a career, its a lifestyle that demands you commit to it. If you don't mind that, go for it. Its some of the most in demand needs right now.

I took a couple anthropology electives, it does suck and requires you to get PhD level to anything useful with it. History, great option, but useless without a teaching cert. I hope you like kids.

There are ups and downs to every career choice, but as only 25% of grads get a job initially in their fields, you need a field that will almost guarantee one. Besides that, you need to love it enough to be at the top of the game in that field. Just because you're intelligent and have the degree doesn't get you the top jobs. You have to be the best.

Otherright

Otherright
engineers don't actually get paid that much (unless you go into the oil/gas industry).. and I would be dubious about going into the medical field because once socialized medicine takes hold, that will be a messy field to work in... you could be a lawyer? I had a friend who majored in history who is now working in the CIA ...whatever you do, do something that you enjoy!!!

Well, that depends on what you call good money? I work with process engineers every day, and their doing all right.

If being a lawyer is your forte, major in philosophy; just like I did. It is the quickest path to being a lawyer. You'll get in law school quicker than pre-law students. My own lawyer jokes with me all the time about how we philosophers are ruining his profession.

Otherright

Otherright
Here's one you don't want to hear, ready? Trade school. My ex-father-in-law was a state inspector and is a business owner. He does not bid a job, unless he going to walk away after material, labor, time, etc, with 50.00 an hour. That's not bad for two years of school.

America is actually recruiting trade and craftsmen from other countries to fill the gaps in our country, because many people attach a stereotype to it. It is the quickest guaranteed path to business ownership, and you are your own boss. Think craftsmen and tradesmen are simple blue-collared folks? Wait until a pipe bursts, or your AC goes out, then see how simple they are when you get the bill.

Otherright

Otherright
Do what you love and a path will open up where 'desired riches' are attainable.

You know, I agree with you and that's good advice. Of all the things, I've done, of all the academics and studies, it always came back to writing. At the end of the day, my passion is telling stories and conveying ideas, creating art through the written word.

I think our friend here, should follow your advice. It doesn't always pay the best, but there is always happiness.