• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm sick of this forum.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see very little bashing, but much posting of opinions.
It seems like these days anytime disagrees they're "bashing" so whatever that used to mean is irrelevant.
It wouldn't be appropriate for me to give specific examples of the insults
& name calling which qualify. (The rule against 3rd person calling out,
you know.) But I've seen examples, & some are in the thread which
seems to have spawned this one.

I've been here a while. I've read many posts, & been in many conversations.
I've seen utterly inexcusable vicious abuse, even by those who should know
better (yes, even staffers). This just shouldn't be tolerated.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
It wouldn't be appropriate for me to give specific examples of the insults
& name calling which qualify. (The rule against 3rd person calling out,
you know.) But I've seen examples, & some are in the thread which
seems to have spawned this one.

These are already actions which cause mod action in the first place. Is it really going on here much or at all? I mean I just think this is a small problem being blown to epic proportions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
These are already actions which cause mod action in the first place. Is it really going on here much or at all? I mean I just think this is a small problem being blown to epic proportions.
Is it small or much?
Tis a matter of opinion.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Is it small or much?
Tis a matter of opinion.

It's impossible to be 100% on these types of issues without simply limiting the amount of conversation to things like, "Hey, how's the weather where you are?" :D

Differing opinions will make arguments, differing beliefs will, and so on. There are millions of reasons to dislike everyone and only a few to like them. It's far more likely you get some negative comment than positive in response to your post and if that bothers you then forums probably aren't your thing. :D

Anyway, I missed the drama so I have no context other than what has been mentioned in this post. Which to summarize was a round of "I hate the haters" or just becoming the hater yourself. :D True tolerance is letting people disagree, dislike you, and whatever and still being cool with it. Most of us would prefer to be liked but this is reality not some soft fuzzy idealized fantasy world.

dfnj

I never said that criticizing posts is wrong, but name calling and bashing is, and it’s a rule violation. Not sure what this has to do with guns.

I have not seen name calling or bashing on any of these threads. I've heard people tell someone else what they said was stupid and moronic. Is that personal attack?

I've heard pro-gun types take regulating guns as a personal attack.

Deidre

I have not seen name calling or bashing on any of these threads. I've heard people tell someone else what they said was stupid and moronic. Is that personal attack?

I've heard pro-gun types take regulating guns as a personal attack.

It happens. Recently actually. I don’t post here as often but a few days ago there was a pretty heated thread that looks like it was deleted.

dfnj

It happens. Recently actually. I don’t post here as often but a few days ago there was a pretty heated thread that looks like it was deleted.

Most people agree on the netiquette when someone makes an ad hominem attack in a discussion they lose the argument. I'm not the biggest fan of censorship. The problem with censorship many times the moderators mistake sharp criticisms against what someone is saying as a personal attack. For example, if I say what someone posted is moronic, do you think that is an ad hominem attack? I don't think it is. What people say could be moronic. Declaring something someone says as being moronic is NOT the same thing as calling them a moron. Calling someone a moron would be like, "You are a moron".

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
How is someone dehumanized by words about the color of their skin, or anything else ? How can words written on a computer screen dehumanize you ? It would seem that if words can dehumanize you, your hold on your humanity is tenuous to me.

Do you really still believe that 'sticks and stones may break my bones...'

Why?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In your opinion, but I think any reasons are valid on the personal level. :D
You claimed people have this urge to feel like they need to "have their **** together" and make an income, so they stop transitioning, get in a heterosexual relationship and have kids. While it may be opinion that your guess is crap, it is a fact that it's wrong.
A lot of them are in sales / consulting if that means anything.
A lot are also in computers, engineering, aerodynamics, arts, healthcare, and teaching.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How is someone dehumanized by words about the color of their skin, or anything else ? How can words written on a computer screen dehumanize you ? It would seem that if words can dehumanize you, your hold on your humanity is tenuous to me.
Why not ask some black men who had to endure being called "boy" by white men and could do nothing about it? Or whatever epithet, there are many.
And we have science to verify that indeed words alone can have tremendous power and have massive effects and consequences. There is a reason we say "the pen is mightier than the sword."

shmogie

Do you really still believe that 'sticks and stones may break my bones...'

Why?
Because as a LEO I was called every vile name conceivable. I was spit on, I was threatened with death, my family was threatened. It never "dehumanized" me. I dealt with it and shrugged it off. I have been personally attacked here because of my faith, and my faith itself has been regularly dragged through the mud. Though the tactics of crude simple minds, they can say what they choose. I choose not not let it bother me.

Do you think I give a lot of credence to someone allowing himself to feel "dehumanized" and hurt by words on a computer screen ? One can control "feelings", one can chose to be above allowing someone else to determining how we feel about ourselves.

This whole thread amazes me. Complain about bad behavior, sure, admit to being "hurt" and distraught because of it boggles the mind. That is that persons problem. I, nor anyone else, including those who upset him/her are responsible. He/she offered the best solution for themselves if they can;'t cope. The world can be tough and you can't manipulate it to suit your own perceived needs.

Note: Lest any self appointed PC police sniper begin firing, my use of he/she means nothing other than I don't know the sex of the poster.

shmogie

Why not ask some black men who had to endure being called "boy" by white men and could do nothing about it? Or whatever epithet, there are many.
And we have science to verify that indeed words alone can have tremendous power and have massive effects and consequences. There is a reason we say "the pen is mightier than the sword."
I have known many black men in my long life, including black police Officers. None would let names bother them.

Your point re the great god science is simply grasping for an authority to use to control the behavior of others.

Science has shown that breathing the air of LA LA land can have massive harmful effects. Last I checked there were still many millions living there.

Deidre

Most people agree on the netiquette when someone makes an ad hominem attack in a discussion they lose the argument. I'm not the biggest fan of censorship. The problem with censorship many times the moderators mistake sharp criticisms against what someone is saying as a personal attack. For example, if I say what someone posted is moronic, do you think that is an ad hominem attack? I don't think it is. What people say could be moronic. Declaring something someone says as being moronic is NOT the same thing as calling them a moron. Calling someone a moron would be like, "You are a moron".
I know what name calling is. Thanks for the lesson, though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
....if I say what someone posted is moronic, do you think that is an ad hominem attack? I don't think it is.
It's borderline.
I'd say it's ad hominem-lite.
What people say could be moronic.
But rather than calling it "moronic", it's best to refute it with reason & civility.

If I called every post "moronic" when I thought it so, I'd have been banned long ago.
But I do think there are times a post could be called something like "sexist" without
implying that the poster is sexist.
Declaring something someone says as being moronic is NOT the same thing as calling them a moron. Calling someone a moron would be like, "You are a moron".
It's also a tactic to hide behind, ie, insulting someone with plausible deniability.
It should be seldom used, if ever.

shmogie

It's borderline.
I'd say it's ad hominem-lite.

But rather than calling it "moronic", it's best to refute it with reason & civility.

If I called every post "moronic" when I thought it so, I'd have been banned long ago.
But I do think there are times a post could be called something like "sexist" without
implying that the poster is sexist.

It's also a tactic to hide behind, ie, insulting someone with plausible deniability.
It should be seldom used, if ever.
Uh, says you. Others may have a different view.