• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm proud

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
So, I walked by myself down the street to the store and back. It took me around 30 minutes total. This is the sort of thing that I got told I'd be mentally incompetent to do on my last psych eval that deemed it necessary for me to live in a group home or have guardianship placed over me. But i did that by myself for the first time ever. That was terrifying especially since I had to cross a few somewhat busy roads but I'm proud of myself. I found that kinda fun so I'm going to walk by myself down the road again this time to the library which is right next to the store tomorrow.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Anyone got any advice for walking down the street safely aside from look both ways before crossing the street? No one gave me much advice on this.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone got any advice for walking down the street safely aside from look both ways before crossing the street? No one gave me much advice on this.

I agree with @Quagmire .

Walk with your head up if you struggle with this, so things will be more likely to catch your eye.

Also best if you're not doing anything else, if paying attention is difficult(no pushing anything, being on phone, listening to music, etc).

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics

Two words: stiff arm. If you see a car who is about to turn while you are walking across the street put your arm out and your hand up, signifying that you have the right away - because you do.

I don't drive and picked up a few things while being a pedestrian. I am in a similar boat as you but not far gone enough which I need a group home, not just yet at least...

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Two words: Pay attention.

This.

And that includes not pulling out your phone or looking at it unless absolutely necessary. Every increment of attention you give your phone means less attention toward the road and your surroundings.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Keep your eyes and ears open for potential dangers and be willing to avoid them by crossing the street etc if you spot them.

Brian2

Veteran Member
So, I walked by myself down the street to the store and back. It took me around 30 minutes total. This is the sort of thing that I got told I'd be mentally incompetent to do on my last psych eval that deemed it necessary for me to live in a group home or have guardianship placed over me. But i did that by myself for the first time ever. That was terrifying especially since I had to cross a few somewhat busy roads but I'm proud of myself. I found that kinda fun so I'm going to walk by myself down the road again this time to the library which is right next to the store tomorrow.

That's the way the world expands for all of us.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
a great milestone!!!!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I find it often easier to cross in the middle of the street rather than at intersections due to less traffic and less waiting. I'll made my necessary crossings ahead of time, planning them where traffic will be the lightest.
I don't know you are with burning but this time of year I'm very mindful of paths that provide the most shade.
Carrying water is always nice, even during winter months and shorter walks.
With being mindful of the surroundings, study a map to find shorter/easier paths. Again, be very mindful. Shortcuts through a nice neighborhood are usually just fine, but if you don't actually know the road sometimes it'll go the other way or just end. Shortcuts through bad looking places where there isn't much space and gets darker are definitely to be avoided, places like narrow alleys where burglars aren't your only worry but so are cars going down them (don't assume they are going the right way down a one way street, either). I check Google maps for this on the go when I'm learning new walking routes.
Amd when possible see where the attention of the driver of any car coming across your path is. It can be tedious, but if a car is intersecting your path knowing what the driver is paying attention to has avoided many wrecks when I'm driving and kept me from getting whacked a couple times when I'm on foot. But if in doubt let the car go first. It's called defensive driving, but the same concepts and principles apply to all forms of road travel, even when you're on foot (and especially when you're on a bike). It's not a constant danger thing, but more of a look both ways twice before crossing thing.
Good shoes and good socks. This can't be emphasized or over stated enough. You need your feet to be healthy and in good shape and good shoes and socks are a must. A good pair of shoes is worth putting money into (not a trendy or flashy brand but a shoe that is great for your feet) and will last longer than cheaper shoes (saving you money in the long run). And change your socks often. Like, after everytime you get back home. Even if you're home all day, if you wear socks all day you should change them once or twice to keep your feet fresh and happy. If you're on you're on you're feet a lot try to change them a few times a day or so, with an extra change or two not hurting at all if you have problems with a foot fungus. And make sure they are a good fit and get fitted if necessary (I discovered this one myself a bit over a year ago).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh! And learn to read street name signs and where the main roads important to you are. This way even if you get lost you can still see kind of where you're at based on the street number and know what direction you're going. You'll know when you're getting closer, if you've gone too far, and help you find a spot a cell phone GPS isn't finding (I've used many and in my experience google maps, though still prone to weird and bad directions can at least find the location of addresses the other ones fail to find).

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Congratulations!

Got access to a cane? People are a little more patient with someone with a cane.
I know, I have to use one if I go very far. Injury and age. You can take them ANYWHERE
even on a plane.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Well done you:clapping:

Walk on the inside if the sidewalk away from the road and pay attention

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The best remedy is to run towards what scares you the most.

Congrats.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Well done mate.
upload_2022-8-20_19-43-57.gif