• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm partially to blame for Salman Rushdie death

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One of the biggest problems Islam faces is that it has no supreme authority to hand down definitive, binding interpretations and rules.

The verse of completing favor and perfecting religion was in fact about this. About appointing us Authorities so we don't deviate from interpretation and Sunnah.

Religious scholars have no authority in reality, only Ahlulbayt (a) do regarding Quran and Sunnah.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
But there is an unholy alliance between the media and the militant Muslims. Both like to depict Islam as violent, the former because having a good villain sells papers, the later because it keeps Muslim radical and attracts angry youths.
The mainstream media usually seem to distance Islam as a faith from the extremist attacks. I can't remember a single report or article where Islam itself has been painted as the cause of the attack, but rather a radicalised, extremist, distorted version, promoted by political or sectarian interests.

KWED

The verse of completing favor and perfecting religion was in fact about this. About appointing us Authorities so we don't deviate from interpretation and Sunnah.

Religious scholars have no authority in reality, only Ahlulbayt (a) do regarding Quran and Sunnah.
OK, so who is the Islamic equivalent of the Pope or the Archbishop of Canterbury, and which passages describe establishing their office?

Correct. There are none. You are talking nonsense, apu.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK, so who is the Islamic equivalent of the Pope or the Archbishop of Canterbury, and which passages describe establishing their office?

Salam

Islam is in a severe state of division, and fabrications, as long as Imam Mahdi (a) remains hidden. The solution is to find a way to bring him back.

RestlessSoul

Ironically, the attack has led to a huge increase in sales of The Satanic Verses. I hope his attacker has been informed of this.

Doubt it’ll ever be out of print now. I might give it another read myself.

His 2019 novel Quichotte is a well worth a read. Modern America through the eyes of an Indian immigrant, with references to Cervantes, Shakespeare, and Sufi poet Attar. Very Rushdie, basically. Wit, imagination and compassion in spades.

KWED

Salam

Islam is in a severe state of division, and fabrications, as long as Imam Mahdi (a) remains hidden. The solution is to find a way to bring him back.
:tearsofjoy:
And would Imam Mahdi rule in line with 7th century Arabian morality, or 21st century western morality, do you think?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
:tearsofjoy:
And would Imam Mahdi rule in line with 7th century Arabian morality, or 21st century western morality, do you think?

Neither. Something between all that. Slavery was never allowed ever by God. It is part of the "tahreef" talked about in Ziyarats and Prayers taught by Ahlulbayt (a) that Islam has been severely distorted.

Heyo

Veteran Member
The mainstream media usually seem to distance Islam as a faith from the extremist attacks. I can't remember a single report or article where Islam itself has been painted as the cause of the attack, but rather a radicalised, extremist, distorted version, promoted by political or sectarian interests.
Yes, but they also don't do much spread a peaceful message from the moderate Muslim.
It is a kind of stochastic terrorism.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Christianity doesn't have a single authority since the great schism. The Bible is just as violent as the Qur'an. Non-the-less the western world had the Enlightenment, initiated by (heretic) Christians and carried on by secular philosophers.
Islam doesn't need a single authority, Islam needs an Enlightenment.

KWED

Neither. Something between all that. Slavery was never allowed ever by God. It is part of the "tahreef" talked about in Ziyarats and Prayers taught by Ahlulbayt (a) that Islam has been severely distorted.
Sorry, keep forgetting you have invented your own version of Islam that does away with the Quran and sunnah.

KWED

Yes, but they also don't do much spread a peaceful message from the moderate Muslim.
It is a kind of stochastic terrorism.
Every report on an attack seems to have a quote from the MCB or similar, condemning it. But is it really the media's job to promote a particular ideology over another?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sorry, keep forgetting you have invented your own version of Islam that does away with the Quran and sunnah.

Better to discover Islam on personal experience with Quran and Sunnah and Ahlulbayt (a), then to blindly follow, in which Magog will certainly infiltrate and misguide us all if we blindly follow.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Salam

The reason to me is because if I didn't get off medications, I would be a computer scientist right now working. If I was working as a computer scientist, I would feel better to write books because I took care of myself and so can write books that people won't see as just a person writing who can't take care of himself and has a mental illness and has too much time in his hands.

These books would include proving Quran doesn't allow killing Salman Rushdie and so many other things.

But Iblis tricked me, defeated me, and as a result, the whole world suffers.

Am I the only one? No. Many can do this. But I can too. And I haven't done my duty.

Many of us can save the middle-east and save the world over all from wars, suffering and get rid of dictators. But we are apathetic.

Being a hero in a video game has prevented me be a hero in real life. Getting off medications has made me practically useless to humanity.

I fear death for one and one reason alone. I have to help God's cause and want to help humanity. When I've done everything I can for God and humanity, then I don't mind dying.

You are definitely gonna attract a few anti islamic website scholars.

So your old thread got revived eh? ;)

Today I was reading this guy vowing he will buy many copies of Rushdie's Satanic verses and distribute it around his country. Just to show solidarity with the so called "book against Islam". Haha. Amazing. First, buy one copy, and read it, I should tell him.

Cheers.

KWED

Christianity doesn't have a single authority since the great schism. The Bible is just as violent as the Qur'an. Non-the-less the western world had the Enlightenment, initiated by (heretic) Christians and carried on by secular philosophers.
Islam doesn't need a single authority, Islam needs an Enlightenment.
Different branches certainly have their supreme authority.
The problem with an Islamic Enlightenment is that it would require moving away from the fundamental idea that the Quran is the literal, infallible, immutable word of god. Even "moderate" Muslims cannot bring themselves to reject passages like 4:34 or 5:33. They simply attempt to dance around them, producing lengthy essays on why god didn't really mean what he said, whereas the "extremists" merely point to the Quran and say "Look. God's word!"

I also wonder if "extremist" is the correct term for someone who claims that god meant what he said and follows it. "Literalist" is probably better, or "fundamentalist". Extremist would suggest proposing things that are not really a part of the ideology, that require shoehorning and tortuous interpretations. A bit like the "moderates" have to do with their claims.

KWED

Better to discover Islam on personal experience with Quran and Sunnah and Ahlulbayt (a), then to blindly follow, in which Magog will certainly infiltrate and misguide us all if we blindly follow.
One thing you can't be accused of is "following Islam". :tearsofjoy:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Different branches certainly have their supreme authority.
The problem with an Islamic Enlightenment is that it would require moving away from the fundamental idea that the Quran is the literal, infallible, immutable word of god. Even "moderate" Muslims cannot bring themselves to reject passages like 4:34 or 5:33. They simply attempt to dance around them, producing lengthy essays on why god didn't really mean what he said, whereas the "extremists" merely point to the Quran and say "Look. God's word!"
As I said, Christianity had the same problem. And it was a slow process. From the first ideas in the early 15th c. to the last witch process where 300 years. Legalizing homosexuality took 400 years and isn't finished yet. That also required some bible interpretation.

KWED

You are definitely gonna attract a few anti islamic website scholars.

So your old thread got revived eh? ;)

Today I was reading this guy vowing he will buy many copies of Rushdie's Satanic verses and distribute it around his country. Just to show solidarity with the so called "book against Islam". Haha. Amazing. First, buy one copy, and read it, I should tell him.

Cheers.
Man don't need to do that. Sales of The Satanic Verses have increased massively since the attack. Pretty easy to predict tbh.

KWED

As I said, Christianity had the same problem. And it was a slow process. From the first ideas in the early 15th c. to the last witch process where 300 years. Legalizing homosexuality took 400 years and isn't finished yet. That also required some bible interpretation.
I'm not saying that it won't happen. There are Muslims out there promoting a fallible, adaptive approach to the Quran - and all power to them. I just don't think it is very likely.

John D. Brey

The reason

. . . Forgive me. But your reason-ing seems confused. Rush died. Rushdie is in no rush to die. The rush for Rush to die was a worse form of cancer to Rushdie's. Rushdie's cancer was his rush to judgment of one of the died in the wool religions of the Book. Rush Limbaugh was himself one of those likely to rush his awe of the limb that in Rushdie's case never made the cut whether it be according to Moses or St. Paul's cutting take on the law loved by Limbaugh who died, but not Rushdie, who in my opinion basically lied in his mistaken pride about the Satanic Verses.

John

Last edited: