• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm officially....

jonny

The school is way too small to accommodate the number of students they have, and the town is way too small to accommodate a bigger school. Rexburg is going to be having a major growth spurt soon (actually, it's already started, but it's gonna get a lot worse).

The town is growing like crazy. I don't recognize it and I've only been away for a few years.

They've been able to make up for the size of the school by forcing kids to go in the summer. I don't know how much bigger they want the school to get though.

SoyLeche

meh...
The town is growing like crazy. I don't recognize it and I've only been away for a few years.

They've been able to make up for the size of the school by forcing kids to go in the summer. I don't know how much bigger they want the school to get though.
More like "they've been able to ease the pressure a bit by forcing kids to go in the summer". There are still too many students.

The university owns a lot of the land up by the temple. They've got room to grow, and they will most likely do it sometime soon.

jonny

More like "they've been able to ease the pressure a bit by forcing kids to go in the summer". There are still too many students.

The university owns a lot of the land up by the temple. They've got room to grow, and they will most likely do it sometime soon.

I'm not sure about that. When it became a university they were pretty clear about the school staying relatively small (smaller than BYU, anyway). They have more land in Rexburg than they do in Provo, so technically the school could become larger than BYU. It didn't seem like they wanted it to though - at least not quickly.

The new president might have different ideas though.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I guess now you'll have to start paying off your student loans. I hope you had a big fat scholarship because with that many credits you must owe a fortune.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I guess now you'll have to start paying off your student loans. I hope you had a big fat scholarship because with that many credits you must owe a fortune.

Yeah. About 10K, which isn't bad, but going to China will help pay it off (they pay us!!). My husband has a little less, so it won't be too horrible!!

Hope

Princesinha
Sorry I'm a little late to see this thread, but WOW, Becky!! Going to China is pretty big news. I'm so excited for you. I've taught English abroad (twice---and both times were in Brazil), and had the time of my life doing so.

Is there an organization that you and your husband are going with? Do you know yet where in China you will be teaching? Will you be teaching adults or kids? I'm just really curious how you guys came to this decision, and how you are planning this.

Bishka

Veteran Member
That's amazing, Becky. I'm so jealous! :bow:

Thanks!! I'm very excited, and to Hope, it will be children who we are teaching, we get to choose where we are going (but haven't chosen yet!). We are going with a company called China Horizons. We sort of knew we wanted to do this, and the dropping me from the school came as a surprise (I thought I might go back in January), so we decided to just work really hard and go and live there for at least a year! :yes:

Hope

Princesinha
Thanks!! I'm very excited, and to Hope, it will be children who we are teaching, we get to choose where we are going (but haven't chosen yet!). We are going with a company called China Horizons. We sort of knew we wanted to do this, and the dropping me from the school came as a surprise (I thought I might go back in January), so we decided to just work really hard and go and live there for at least a year! :yes:

Awesome. I'm jealous. Teaching kids English is so much fun. Does China Horizons require anything, like a degree or TEFL or TESOL certification?