• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Not a Tolerant Person

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Are you certain you aren't the problem? You seem to be the one who is offended to no end by a drag queen based on a Deuteronomy law, yet at the same time, are not offended by a shrimp cocktail (tattoos, shaven beards and piercings) which is also a abomination before the Lord according to the very same book. Technically, according to the Deuteronomy, people with physical defect (or simply ugly people) couldn't be priest either. I find your offense very selective and not very appropriate given the circumstances. At that speed, one might assume that special disgust comes from a repressed sexual desire; a common psychological phenomenon popularly known as the Haggard Law.

Of course, your application of the law is very ham-fisted too. It probably would not have touched art performers, but theatre practices were not well known, if they even occurred amongst Ancient Hebrews. You are using a Holy Book outside of its time and culture to judge an event that the author of the book couldn't even begin to imagine.

Lying is also an abomination, according to the Bible. In fact, there are 84 verses written about abominations in the Bible.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Yes, I know deconstruction is hard. I spent thirty-one years of my life as a Christian. It took me that long to finally be honest and admit to myself that the God of the Bible is not a loving, merciful God. I finally admitted to myself that the God of the Bible was not nor has ever been a heavenly father to me. And this so-called "loving, merciful God" never protected me from the abuse that was perpetually inflicted upon me while I was growing up. I was left alone to deal with the abuse on my own, and none of my desperate prayers and frantic pleas to stop the abuse were ever answered. If there is a God, then he flat-out ignored my pleas for protection.

As far as I'm concerned, if there is a God, then he's nothing more than a cruel, callous, sadistic, bloodthirsty tyrant, who sickeningly enjoys watching human beings suffer immeasurable pain and agony. He watches innocent children be beaten and does nothing to stop the physical abuse. He watches innocent children be sexually violated, and he does nothing to stop the sexual abuse. Likewise, he watches women being beaten up or sexually assaulted, and he does nothing to stop the violent abuse. Furthermore, he watches countless people being murdered in cold blood, and he does nothing to stop the violence. He watches countless people die from a disease or a deadly virus, and he does nothing to stop the unfathomable suffering. He watches countless adults and children die in natural disasters, and he does nothing to protect them and save them. He watches countless adults and children die of starvation, and he does nothing to save them. And finally, this so-called "loving God" watched an estimated 6 million of his own chosen people, the Jews, being gassed to death by the Nazis, and he did absolutely nothing to stop this atrocious inhumane atrocity.

If the Holocaust was the only example I could provide to prove that the God of the Bible isn't a loving, merciful God and a "heavenly father," then this example would be more than sufficient to validate my point beyond a shadow of a doubt, in my humble opinion.

<3 I'm so sorry you went through that. You absolutely did not deserve that. *hug*

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you have any questions about the meaning of judging wisely, feel free to ask...?

Matthew 23:13-29

13 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to. [14]

15 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.

16 “Woe to you, blind guides! You say, ‘If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gold of the temple is bound by that oath.’ 17 You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? 18 You also say, ‘If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gift on the altar is bound by that oath.’ 19 You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20 Therefore, anyone who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it. 21 And anyone who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it. 22 And anyone who swears by heaven swears by God’s throne and by the one who sits on it.

23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. 24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

25 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

27 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

29 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous. 30 And you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 So you testify against yourselves that you are the descendants of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Go ahead, then, and complete what your ancestors started!

33 “You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell? 34 Therefore I am sending you prophets and sages and teachers. Some of them you will kill and crucify; others you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town. 35 And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.
All of these were directed to the self-righteous religious hypocrites. Not to those we seek to understand, rather than condemn. Which of those two best represent your approach? I recall your very condemning post about that gay minister who dressed in drag that day to make a point to his congregation. Is that something Jesus would have done in your eyes?

All of the verses above seem to apply to those who pass judgment on others, while ignoring their own hypocrisies in doing so. Romans 14 is a rather enlightening chapter. When you read it, and then you read the above verses you quoted, how do you fit these together? For me, the harsh criticism Jesus is giving, is to the one in Romans 14 who is judging his brother.

Would you care to discuss our respective views of Romans 14 together? I'd be happy to share how I see it as the key to Christian love, as opposed to self-righteous religiosity which Jesus condemned as "whitewashed sepulchers".

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Deuteronomy 22:5
“A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.
Wow I had no idea the Bible was against traditional theatre performances.
(Until Charles the Second’s reign, men routinely played female roles in theatre. Including wearing women’s clothing.)
Although I guess the Puritans trying to ban Theatre does make a lot more sense to me now.

I wonder what the Bible would have made of the European aristocracy before the Age of Enlightenment. What with all their men wearing make up, powdered wigs and flamboyantly girly attire. In saying that, I would agree those guys were abominations. Selfish, greedy and above all kind of massive jerks all round, if I recall my history class correctly

Last edited:

kjw47

That's not really the case either. Hurricanes for example move very vast, but are very large and downpour very intensely. The speed of the clouds have little to do with how much they deliver in any given areas. Higher temperatures also tends to create stronger winds which does make cloud actually move faster, once again you are fairly wrong at that. The speed of clouds is relatively unimportant to floods. Topography will make it that even if rain doesn't all fall in the same area, that area will be affected by floods.

Meterologists disagree with you, are you one?

kjw47

You have a very naive view of how the world works. God does NOT always provide for all our needs. People starve to death, including Jehovah's witnesses. Life can be absolutely brutal. And sometimes things happen to people that are so overwhelming that they crumble.

Jesus word is gold. He didnt lie. If one starves its because they did not apply that teaching when they knew it. But few do know it because 99% of all religions claiming to be christian will not believe Jesus over the dogmas they are taught in the schools of men.

epronovost

Thats your choice. Flooding is occurring all over the world because of it.

No, it doesn't. Flooding isn't happening because "clouds move more slowly because they are heavier". Flooding occurs because precipitation are more intense due to a faster water cycle; droughts are also happening more frequently for the same reason.

kjw47

No, it doesn't. Flooding isn't happening because "clouds move more slowly because they are heavier". Flooding occurs because precipitation are more intense due to a faster water cycle; droughts are also happening more frequently for the same reason.

I guess you must be a scientist if not a meterologist. That is very sad. They have misused science and math and are destroying Gods earth. They have polluted the air, land, water, thus our food as well. Put a huge hole in the ozone causing havoc weather all over the earth destroying mankinds lives. Not to even mention they are selling us cancer and know it. If not a scientist putting trust into them is not very wise.

epronovost

I wonder what the Bible would have made of the European aristocracy before the Age of Enlightenment. What with all their men wearing make up, powdered wigs and flamboyantly girly attire. In saying that, I would agree those guys were abominations. Selfish, greedy and above all kind of massive jerks all round, if I recall my history class correctly

Small correction; those men wore men's clothing. Women did not wear such clothing. You are using a rather anachronical sense of fashion. Ancient Hebrew men wore robes and skirts, what would today be considered women's clothes. Ancient Hebrews didn't have a tradition of theatre, at least not in the Greek, Roman or modern sense of the term so we can't say how they would react to it. Laws in western Europe long made the fact that a man wearing women's clothing was guilty of a crime of indecency, but it's true that there were exception for theatre and later movies. It's the same thing for adultery laws. A man passionately kissing a woman he is not married to as part of a play or a movie was not considered to cheating on his spouse for the purpose of divorce for example. Thus, a drag queen in a performance isn't indecent by the standards of a Christian society.

epronovost

I guess you must be a scientist if not a meterologist. That is very sad. They have misused science and math and are destroying Gods earth. They have polluted the air, land, water, thus our food as well. Put a huge hole in the ozone causing havoc weather all over the earth destroying mankinds lives. Not to even mention they are selling us cancer and know it. If not a scientist putting trust into them is not very wise.

Scientist didn't pollute the air. You did; we all did. The people who have invented and built machines and electricity are no more culpable for the damage to the environment then those who sold them and used them knowing full well what could happen if they were miss-used.

PS: The ozone layer has been restored in the 90's and had no impact on the weather since it's far above the troposphere.

PPS: According to your own book, it's not God's Earth, it's our Earth. He gave it to us so that we could live on it and have dominion over it. God might have made it, but he gave it all to us to use as we see fit. Be theologically consistent.

DNB

Christian
Are you certain you aren't the problem? You seem to be the one who is offended to no end by a drag queen based on a Deuteronomy law, yet at the same time, are not offended by a shrimp cocktail (tattoos, shaven beards and piercings) which is also a abomination before the Lord according to the very same book. Technically, according to the Deuteronomy, people with physical defect (or simply ugly people) couldn't be priest either. I find your offense very selective and not very appropriate given the circumstances. At that speed, one might assume that special disgust comes from a repressed sexual desire; a common psychological phenomenon popularly known as the Haggard Law.

Of course, your application of the law is very ham-fisted too. It probably would not have touched art performers, but theatre practices were not well known, if they even occurred amongst Ancient Hebrews. You are using a Holy Book outside of its time and culture to judge an event that the author of the book couldn't even begin to imagine.
Drag queens, transvestites, homosexuals, transgenders are an abomination to God, and I find them equally offensive. It's a profound shame that many others, like yourself, do not, ...nor understand the Levitical laws and their application.

DNB

Christian
My point is that your stance is hypocritical. You want to drag out the law when you want to condemn someone you don't like, but the truth is that you don't follow the law. It's pick and choose, pick and choose.
The only point that you have is to be suspiciously selective, in what you choose to quote from my explanation.

kjw47

Scientist didn't pollute the air. You did; we all did. The people who have invented and built machines and electricity are no more culpable for the damage to the environment then those who sold them and used them knowing full well what could happen if they were miss-used.

PS: The ozone layer has been restored in the 90's and had no impact on the weather since it's far above the troposphere.

PPS: According to your own book, it's not God's Earth, it's our Earth. He gave it to us so that we could live on it and have dominion over it. God might have made it, but he gave it all to us to use as we see fit. Be theologically consistent.

God promised- he will bring to ruin those ruining his earth. No the ozone is not fixed. There was a write up today that Exxon has known for years about the global warming. God owns all of creation, He gave it to man to use to make into a paradise( Eden). Misuse of science and math is destroying it for all. Yes men play a part as well. because some put their trust into the words of scientist. Its the misuse of science rushing things to men , before they know the environmental impacts it will cause. same with their drugs--many causing cancer in people. Men like that cannot be trusted.
Some science is good for man, but much is not. And they know they are selling us cancer and do not care and will continue to do so. Gods kingdom is mankinds only remaining hope.

DNB

Christian
All of these were directed to the self-righteous religious hypocrites. Not to those we seek to understand, rather than condemn. Which of those two best represent your approach? I recall your very condemning post about that gay minister who dressed in drag that day to make a point to his congregation. Is that something Jesus would have done in your eyes?

All of the verses above seem to apply to those who pass judgment on others, while ignoring their own hypocrisies in doing so. Romans 14 is a rather enlightening chapter. When you read it, and then you read the above verses you quoted, how do you fit these together? For me, the harsh criticism Jesus is giving, is to the one in Romans 14 who is judging his brother.

Would you care to discuss our respective views of Romans 14 together? I'd be happy to share how I see it as the key to Christian love, as opposed to self-righteous religiosity which Jesus condemned as "whitewashed sepulchers".
Transvestites, drag queens, homosexuals and trans-genders are an abomination to God, and I feel the same way. Just as I do towards robbers, killers, liars and perverts.
What do you need to hear further? I'm not talking about not being merciful towards sinners, I am talking about not endorsing sinners in their act of sinning. Get them to change, them embrace them.
Which part do you not understand?
I'm a sinner also, but I don't parade my sins or talk about them when I'm at Church, or Bible study, or in Christian contexts, unless I'm talking about how to desist my sins. I don't expect to be accepted as a practicing sinner, but as one who's making a concerted effort to renounce my former ways. i.e. I don't walk into Church with a t-shirt that has a pot leaf on it.

DNB

Christian
Wow I had no idea the Bible was against traditional theatre performances.
(Until Charles the Second’s reign, men routinely played female roles in theatre. Including wearing women’s clothing.)
Although I guess the Puritans trying to ban Theatre does make a lot more sense to me now.

Yes, the Bible is against traditional theatre performances. I'm rather surprised that you didn't know that?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Drag queens, transvestites, homosexuals, transgenders are an abomination to God, and I find them equally offensive. It's a profound shame that many others, like yourself, do not, ...nor understand the Levitical laws and their application.
I find it telling that people these days who like to go on about "Levitical laws" seem to only ever use them as justification for their hatred of others.

Just once I'd love to see a religious group lobbying the government for laws that required Leviticus-style loan forgiveness.