• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
She was an intern, he was Potus. He was sued...and he paid up...for raping someone.
Why is Clinton guilty until proven innocent, over banging the secretary?
But Trump is innocent until proven guilty, over treason?

What's with that?
Why is Clinton's philandering an issue, but Trump's financial and political entanglements with hostile foreign governments requires proof in court before any action is taken?
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
How do you unbiasedly judge my bias or non-bias? We're creating a circular argument here.
Because you say things like "It's 60% likely that a pic I found on Facebook is a guardian angel". And "it's 50-50 odds that racial characteristics are at the root of disparate outcomes for people with different melanin levels".

That's why. You have given me plenty of reasons to objectively assess your opinions.
Want to talk about how South America moved hundreds of miles to the east since you were a kid?
Tom

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I am aware that this is a controversial subject and that there are two sides. I do consider everything and use reason in judging what is most reasonable to believe. The non-existence of ethnic genetic differences is society's current accepted position but I believe these things get affected by culture and then we see only the science that backs this up. The other side gets society's dirty look and no one likes that (doesn't mean their points are not valid).
But you have no examples. :shrug:

There is a scientific side to this, and then there's a race-as-a-social-construct side that isn't based in science.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Because you say things like "It's 60% likely that a pic I found on Facebook is a guardian angel". And "it's 50-50 odds that racial characteristics are at the root of disparate outcomes for people with different melanin levels".

That's why. You have given me plenty of reasons to objectively assess your opinions.
Want to talk about how South America moved hundreds of miles to the east since you were a kid?
Tom
Apparently you understand none of my positions on any of the above subjects. But you are telling me I am wrong....Sheesh

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
But you have no examples. :shrug:

There is a scientific side to this, and then there's a race-as-a-social-construct side that isn't based in science.
How about evidence presented in the 'The Bell Curve' book for example. I am sure you can very easily find howling negative comments against that too. So?

I feel I am a pretty keen observer of reality and what is really going on here.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
How about evidence presented in the 'The Bell Curve' book for example. I am sure you can very easily find howling negative comments against that too. So?
What evidence? Can you share a point or two?

Sorry about my "howling negative comments" to your strange assertions that I find to be at least a little bit racist, and not based in reality.
Then why/how have you apparently gotten it so wrong?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Apparently you understand none of my positions on any of the above subjects. But you are telling me I am wrong....Sheesh
I read a ton of your posts and asked you questions, generally "Why would I believe that this is true?"

And your answers boiled down to "I'm objective and I believe it. Prove to me...."
Like when you expected me to prove that South America was still in the same place, in relation to the other continents, when you had many internet posters backing up your opinions on the subject. And that was all.

You know what irritates me so much about this?
I am quite confident that's there is more to reality than the obvious, or simple materialism. But as long as people keep making such claims as you do, any evidence for a bigger reality will get lost in the noise.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
How objective of you.

I know people convinced that Jesus has appeared to them and told the things. They think that they're keen observers of reality as well.
What other reason would Jesus have for visiting them personally?
Tom

dianaiad

Why is Clinton guilty until proven innocent, over banging the secretary?

She didn't sue him. Someone else did, and he was found liable to a rather large settlement. The intern wasn't his only problem. So I'm not talking here about 'innocent until proven guilty.' He settled with Paula Jones for $850,000. He did not 'admit liability,' but face it; nobody who is innocent will fork over nearly a million bucks if he isn't. That's a lot of money even for the Clintons. He also ADMITTED to other sexual misdeeds. If confession and self admission is not proof of guilt, what would be?

BTW, in the matter of Lewinski, it doesn't matter whether she was happy to have sex with him or not. The imbalance of power between them was such as to make it almost impossible for her to say 'no,' had she wanted to.

After all, nobody figures that a fourteen year old girl's eagerness to have sex with a 30 year old rock idol excuses HIM from statutory rape, does it? Same principle...and a considerably wider difference of power between POTUS and a White House intern. The only difference, as I see it, is that Lewinski was over eighteen. Everything else i.... It's very difficult, if not impossible, for someone to say 'no' when the other party has the ability to ruin one's life...whether that is the intent or not. The CEO of a company doesn't boink the new minimum wage employee mopping his floor. The store manager does NOT have sex with anybody who works for him, and POTUS does NOT have sex with interns.

But Trump is innocent until proven guilty, over treason?

Yep...and I sure can't see any evidence of treason. Shoot, neither could the House...they did not impeach him for that, you realize.

What's with that?
Why is Clinton's philandering an issue, but Trump's financial and political entanglements with hostile foreign governments requires proof in court before any action is taken?
Tom

Because I see the partisanship being exhibited here and am disgusted by it. The Dems are willing...and quite enthusiastic about...getting Trump impeached over nothing (and nothing is what they have) but they are absolutely ignoring the problems on THEIR side.

I am not blind to Trump's failures. However, his failures are not what you are accusing them of being.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
No one (except perhaps for some Nazis or such ilk) disputes that we're related.
But you can't fight xenophobia by telling such people that there are no negroes,
caucasians, asians, etc. They'll look around....see different races....& dismiss
you as crazy.
However, I'll agree that making Jewish, Mexican, Muslim, etc into races is bogus.
I remember a surgeon writing, quite a few years ago (so I can't quote source, sorry), that once that green sheet was laid over his patient, and the patient opened up, he couldn't tell negro from Caucasian from Asian.

I don't think it would hurt, for those really interested in this topic, to read the Wikipedia article on race, which begins:

"A race is a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society. The term was first used to refer to speakers of a common language and then to denote national affiliations. By the 17th century the term began to refer to physical (phenotypical) traits. Modern scholarship regards race as a social construct, an identity which is assigned based on rules made by society. While partially based on physical similarities within groups, race does not have an inherent physical or biological meaning."

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
My xenophobia comports well with recognizing different races.
They allow me to feel progressive.
I hope you'll forgive me for this -- I certainly mean nothing disparaging towards you.

"Feeling progressive" is a good thing, it shows someone making an effort. But wouldn't it be wonderful if, when looking at others, you actually saw them as all essentially the same? I mean, in the schoolyard of even the most uniform communities, kids are still different, and often get poked fun at because of their differences. Think of "gingers" (which are not a "race") or tubbies, or nerds.

When I was growing up, my life was mostly in institutions -- orphanages, foster homes (with multiple fostered kids, often of different races), a boarding school for all my schooling between grade 8 and 12, that hosted students (all male) from all over the world. This was the milieu I grew up in. I admit that when I was very young, I noted the differences between me and the black kids, or between me and the Asian kids. But as you got to know them, those differences faded to insignificance, so that it did not become part of how you identified your school chum.

Here's something else I've noticed over my life: there have been people that I've been moderately attracted to, who have gone on to become my bed partners -- and a few of those, my lovers. Of those latter few, one of the most amazing experiences is to look at them one morning, after the first or the 10th encounter, doesn't matter which, and realize that you had no idea how truly beautiful they actually are! And that appreciation of their beauty stems no longer from their physiognomy, but from your heart!

Truly getting to know somebody is the surest way to allow you to no longer even see whatever race you once thought they were.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Ya know....there are genetic differences between races.
Granted they have over 60% of genes in common, but...
Now surely that is an odd figure. I was under the impression that we share 96% of our DNA with chimps and bonobos, but only 60% with other human "races?"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember a surgeon writing, quite a few years ago (so I can't quote source, sorry), that once that green sheet was laid over his patient, and the patient opened up, he couldn't tell negro from Caucasian from Asian.
I can't recall the title of the TED podcast I recently heard, but it
was about how treating races differently can yield better results.
To be race blind would be to increase death & disease.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I hope you'll forgive me for this -- I certainly mean nothing disparaging towards you.

"Feeling progressive" is a good thing, it shows someone making an effort. But wouldn't it be wonderful if, when looking at others, you actually saw them as all essentially the same? I mean, in the schoolyard of even the most uniform communities, kids are still different, and often get poked fun at because of their differences. Think of "gingers" (which are not a "race") or tubbies, or nerds.

When I was growing up, my life was mostly in institutions -- orphanages, foster homes (with multiple fostered kids, often of different races), a boarding school for all my schooling between grade 8 and 12, that hosted students (all male) from all over the world. This was the milieu I grew up in. I admit that when I was very young, I noted the differences between me and the black kids, or between me and the Asian kids. But as you got to know them, those differences faded to insignificance, so that it did not become part of how you identified your school chum.

Here's something else I've noticed over my life: there have been people that I've been moderately attracted to, who have gone on to become my bed partners -- and a few of those, my lovers. Of those latter few, one of the most amazing experiences is to look at them one morning, after the first or the 10th encounter, doesn't matter which, and realize that you had no idea how truly beautiful they actually are! And that appreciation of their beauty stems no longer from their physiognomy, but from your heart!

Truly getting to know somebody is the surest way to allow you to no longer even see whatever race you once thought they were.
I'm not so evolved that I don't see groups based upon race, gender, etc.
Btw, it's a great thing about RF, where one's avatar messes up all the old
preconceptions....we are what we post, be it smart, dumb, ugly, or pretty.