• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Let me tell you an interesting fact. There are 3 types of people, negroid, caucasoid, and mongoloid. Some 30 million years ago, there were the Human, Neanderthal, and Denisovan.

...The Denisovan looked like the Asian, the human looked like the African, and the Neanderthal looked like the caucasian.

...But the weirdest part of it all, is that the human reverted back to the original 3, because the light skin of the caucasian developed over time, and is NOT in any way related to neanderthal. It's completely a separate adaptation.

It's like we can't escape the inevitable 3.

I have a scholarly scientific article that explains this with proven scientific evidence.

I'd be fascinated to see the article.

Which of the 3 do Latin Americans fall into? How about folks from the Middle East? By "Asian," do you mean East Asian, eg Chinese, Japanese? Are Indians "Asian" in this analysis?

MikeDwight

OK I keep hearing Race is a control construct and concept, which it always will be, which we used to describe every European's nation as a race as well, then Germans re-assimilated with Saxons of similar bloodline, which essentially with racial reconciliation tactics makes a White category of over 80% most the time opposed to a single Black race most of the time, which is a "Birth of a Nation" trick in direct application, or world war 1, people cite world war 1 for German American assimilations, though "Birth of a Nation" seems to advocate explicitly.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Which of the 3 do Latin Americans fall into? How about folks from the Middle East? By "Asian," do you mean East Asian, eg Chinese, Japanese? Are Indians "Asian" in this analysis?

I'll begin digging for it now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Species (Homo Sapiens) is a natural construct. We cannot breed with other species. Race is a purely man-made construct. An Innuit man can as easily father a child on a Bantu woman as a Bantu man can.

Race differentiates on surface characteristics -- adaptations to place and climate. You might as well split your races on the basis of eye or hair colour. It would amount to the same thing.
Race is not determined by inability to interbreed.
Even species is a human construct.
And yet, these & many other constructs exist.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Another interesting thing, before I begin digging, is that the Denisovan lived in what is now Asia, the human lived in what is now Africa, and the Neanderthal lived primarily in Europe.

...As if the geographic region itself dictates characteristics.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Race is not determined by inability to interbreed.
No, it is determined by characteristics like colour, eye-shape and so on. So what "race" is the fellow born to black parents who happens to be albino, if colour is part of what defines race? Does a little surgery on the Japanese eyelid to mimic the almond-shaped eyes of the west turn an Asian girl into a Caucasian?

As I said, "race" is a man-made construct, and thus is amenable to change by those who made it. Hell, breeds in dogs are the same thing -- and these days, in the argument we're having in Canada over "pit bulls," we're not even sure how to define which is which.

Still, with dogs, the term "mongrel" has a certain built-in sense of being lesser, not like "pure-bred." And I suppose that's what the OP is all about, the notion of "mongrelizing" humans. If you'd like to know my honest opinion about it, here it is: I'm all for it! We'd be a better looking species, and we'd have one less thing to hate about each other -- and that's worth something!

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
...As if the geographic region itself dictates characteristics.

I don't think that's anything particularly new or controversial, is it? People in different places look different. We suspect that this is at least partly due to climate, eg the relationship between skin pigment and sun exposure, not to mention diet.

I'm more interested in the claim that all human beings today can be classified as "caucasoid," "negroid," or "mongoloid."

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
As an Auntie of two beautiful and intelligent "mixed race" children, I have to say that I find this thread topic to be nauseating and way off base.

Carry on. o_O

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Adding to my last post, dogs don't seem to recognize their different breeds -- those breeds are meant to satisfy us. If a German shepherd dog sees an Irish setter *****, he is in no way dissuaded from a natural urge to get it on. Nor she, by the way.

Edited to add: "Oh, come on, 'b*t*h' is a perfectly decent English word meaning female canine."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, it is determined by characteristics like colour, eye-shape and so on. So what "race" is the fellow born to black parents who happens to be albino
There are complexities & overlap.
However albinism isn't one of them....it's a genetic defect which affects
one trait commonly used in determining race. Black folk have other
genetic differences from other races...a useful thing in medicine.
, if colour is part of what defines race?
Color is one factor.
Does a little surgery on the Japanese eyelid to mimic the almond-shaped eyes of the west turn an Asian girl into a Caucasian?
No.
As I said, "race" is a man-made construct, and thus is amenable to change by those who made it. Hell, breeds in dogs are the same thing -- and these days, in the argument we're having in Canada over "pit bulls," we're not even sure how to define which is which.
Would you argue that a chihuahua is the same
breed as a bulldog, simply because they're all dogs?
Still, with dogs, the term "mongrel" has a certain built-in sense of being lesser, not like "pure-bred." And I suppose that's what the OP is all about, the notion of "mongrelizing" humans. If you'd like to know my honest opinion about it, here it is: I'm all for it! We'd be a better looking species, and we'd have one less thing to hate about each other -- and that's worth something!
I'm a big fan of mongrelizing humans....assuming it's by choice.

Some human constructs.....
Corporation
Dog, Mongrel, Breed
Country, County, City
Team
These things all exist, their being human constructs notwithstanding.

Cooky

Veteran Member

A-hah... Here we go.

"An earlier analysis of ancient DNA in 40,000 and 50,000-year-old Neanderthal bones, respectively from Spain and Italy, suggested that our extinct cousins had light-coloured skin and reddish hair in their European heartland. But the Neanderthals went extinct around 28,000 years ago – long before modern humans in Europe gained a pale skin. Evidently Neanderthals did not pass these useful local adaptations on to modern humans, despite genetic evidence that the two species interbred."

Europeans did not inherit pale skins from Neanderthals

A clear case of Convergent evolution!

Cooky

Veteran Member
I don't think that's anything particularly new or controversial, is it? People in different places look different. We suspect that this is at least partly due to climate, eg the relationship between skin pigment and sun exposure, not to mention diet.

I'm more interested in the claim that all human beings today can be classified as "caucasoid," "negroid," or "mongoloid."

But it is interesting that entirely different "species" develop similar mutations, unrelated. IMO.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
A-hah... Here we go.

"An earlier analysis of ancient DNA in 40,000 and 50,000-year-old Neanderthal bones, respectively from Spain and Italy, suggested that our extinct cousins had light-coloured skin and reddish hair in their European heartland. But the Neanderthals went extinct around 28,000 years ago – long before modern humans in Europe gained a pale skin. Evidently Neanderthals did not pass these useful local adaptations on to modern humans, despite genetic evidence that the two species interbred."

Europeans did not inherit pale skins from Neanderthals

A clear case of Convergent evolution!

This is interesting but does not indicate all humans can be classified as "caucasoid," "negroid," and "mongoloid," as some sort of modern iterations of human, Neanderthal, and Denisovan. If anything it says that ancient humans and Neanderthals interbred, meaning you can't classify, say, a European today as purely descended from one hominid subspecies or another.

Cooky

Veteran Member
This is interesting but does not indicate all humans can be classified as "caucasoid," "negroid," and "mongoloid," as some sort of modern iterations of human, Neanderthal, and Denisovan. If anything it says that ancient humans and Neanderthals interbred, meaning you can't classify, say, a European today as purely descended from one hominid subspecies or another.

I'm permanently awestruck by convergent evolution. @shunyadragon knows my dilemma. :oops:

...I mean the odds of two different species becoming so similar in appearance must be 1 in 50 google. Yet we see it all the time. And there's not enough time in the universe for it to happen twice or 5 times on planet earth. But it does. With "flight", it's like 7 times, *completely* unrelated.

180px-Astrophytum_asterias1.jpg
204px-E_obesa_symmetrica_ies.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I hear that a lot....only 1 race.
And yet, we have all these races....white,
black, Mexican, asian, Jewish, Muslim, etc.
We hear all about racial disparity, racism,
affirmative action, white privilege, etc.
I begin to suspect that it's not a settled issue.

That's just time. People can believe whatever suites their xenophobic tendencies, genetics shows us all to be related. How's that grab ya brother ;-)

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's just time. People can believe whatever suites their xenophobic tendencies, genetics shows us all to be related. Hoes that grab ya brother ;-)
No one (except perhaps for some Nazis or such ilk) disputes that we're related.
But you can't fight xenophobia by telling such people that there are no negroes,
caucasians, asians, etc. They'll look around....see different races....& dismiss
you as crazy.
However, I'll agree that making Jewish, Mexican, Muslim, etc into races is bogus.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Race mixing is scientifically proven to have detrimental consequences

I don't buy that.

I'm a single race (as far as I know), but hope for a world where the races mix thoroughly and most of the world is brown.

I know of one person who is a mix of four "races" - Asian, black, American Indian, and white - and that's golfer Tiger Woods. It didn't seem to hurt him too much. He dominated his sport in his prime. From What Is a Cablinasian? It's What Tiger Woods Claims as His Ethnicity :

Woods' Parents Both Multi-Ethnic

Woods' mother, Kultida, is a native of Thailand whose own ancestry includes Chinese and Dutch. She once referred to herself as "half-Thai, one-quarter Chinese and one-quarter white."

Woods' father, Earl, was an African-American whose heritage included white, Asian and Native American ancestors. Earl Woods once called himself, "half-black, one-quarter American Indian, and one-quarter Chinese."

So Tiger Woods' racial and ethnic heritage is predominantly black and Asian, but also includes white and Native American ancestry.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
1. Race mixing is racism/race hatred. How is mixing your race and your racial line out of existence not race hatred/self hatred? Every person I've ever asked has been unable to answer this. It would also ultimately destroy diversity.

2. Race mixing is scientifically proven to have detrimental consequences such as mixed race people having infertility, lower IQ, mental health issues, defects/disabilities, etc. due to being mixed.
Both are scientifically untrue as mixtures of genes are generally healthier than in-breeding, plus groups living intermixed tend to lead towards less prejudice.

I am a Me'tis, an European/Amerindian mix..