• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm hearing a lot of ignorant crap on Catholic radio these days.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Paedophilia - like all sexual deviations - is at epidemic proportions throughout the Western world.

Some of it has, horrifyingly, seeped into Christian denominations (not ONLY the RCC !).

Why this tsunami of decadence and deviation ?

Partly because doomed, decadent civilisations generate such things.

Partly too, because of contraception - even when used within marriage, it is sexually deviant; hence contrary to the doctrine of the Church.
Pedophilia has always existed. There is no evidence that it is on the rise. What is happening is that society takes child abuse much more seriously then it used to so we are more serious about catching offenders. Before, we didn't care about the well-being of child much. The abuse in the Catholic Church has been going on for decades. Maybe even centuries. It didn't just start recently. We only started talking about it and revealing the extent of it recently. It occurred due to the authoritarian culture that the Church fostered between clergy and laymen, making laymen put clergy on a pedestal and afraid to talk about the abuse. You often see this sort of climate of fear in abusive cults. Only in recent decades has this church culture changed enough in the West so that people feel safer to speak about it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That is a really SICK comment you unpleasant anti-gay bigot!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Before the mods arrive to rap knuckles & poof posts,
let's avoid such personal commentary. People will hold
offensive opinions here. (I'm often told that I do.)
Hostility causes entrenchment & enmity, not change..
Tis best to counter them with reason & civility.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"Peer reviewed, respected."

Thanks for confirming the point I made !
Was your point that if one the ignorant and dishonest as sources that one could "prove" anything? That would seem to be a rather foolish point to make. If one uses reliable sources they tend to support only one side of an argument. That is how we know that certain things are true. If one uses sources where people can do actual science we can know that we went to the Moon and back. If one uses sources that use actual history we know that there was a Holocaust in Germany. Yes, if I refer to idiots and liars I can "prove" that those events did not happen. Was that your supposed point? It did not seem that way to me.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Pedophilia has always existed. There is no evidence that it is on the rise. What is happening is that society takes child abuse much more seriously then it used to so we are more serious about catching offenders. Before, we didn't care about the well-being of child much. The abuse in the Catholic Church has been going on for decades. Maybe even centuries. It didn't just start recently. We only started talking about it and revealing the extent of it recently. It occurred due to the authoritarian culture that the Church fostered between clergy and laymen, making laymen put clergy on a pedestal and afraid to talk about the abuse. You often see this sort of climate of fear in abusive cults. Only in recent decades has this church culture changed enough in the West so that people feel safer to speak about it.

It is the same with autism. As it has become more well defined and tests have been developed to recognize it the numbers "go up". Of course if one knows how to find what one is looking for one is more likely to find it. No need to appeal to magic vaccinations or other causes. If one wants to fix a trait one must be able to find it reliably first.

JJ50

Before the mods arrive to rap knuckles & poof posts,
let's avoid such personal commentary. People will hold
offensive opinions here. (I'm often told that I do.)
Hostility causes entrenchment & enmity, not change..
Tis best to counter them with reason & civility.

I will condemn anyone who is an anti-gay bigot, just as I would condemn a racist. There is nothing wrong with being gay. As I have said before even that guy, Jesus, is reputed to have had a particular disciple whom he loved, presumably male, so maybe he was gay, no worse for that if he was.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I will condemn anyone who is an anti-gay bigot, just as I would condemn a racist. There is nothing wrong with being gay. As I have said before even that guy, Jesus, is reputed to have had a particular disciple whom he loved, presumably male, so maybe he was gay, no worse for that if he was.
What is to be achieved by condemnation?
An interesting story....
https://nypost.com/2017/01/06/this-musicians-on-a-mission-to-convert-members-of-the-kkk/
Excerpted...
As an R&B and boogie-woogie piano player, Daryl Davis has had some wild times. He’s shared the stage with Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, and back in the day he used to play a “hot piano” that was literally on fire.

But few days were as surreal as the one during which a Ku Klux Klan member called the black musician for advice after being promoted to a higher rank within the hate group.

“He called me to ask what being a Great Titan meant,” Davis says. “He didn’t do his homework. The [induction] ceremony was pending, and he was too embarrassed to ask the Grand Dragon. So he called me.”

The 58-year-old Davis has been befriending Klan members for decades now. If they leave the group — as he says 20-odd men have over the years, thanks to him — they give him their Klan robes and regalia, for which Davis plans to eventually create a museum. His bookshelves house an extensive collection of KKK literature, and he claims to know more about the group’s history than many of its members.

“That’s my weapon,” Davis says. “The most powerful tools you can have are information and knowledge. I know how these groups operate. I know how they think.”

Davis’ philosophy is simple: “Allow them to air their views,” he says, “and there is an excellent chance that they will reciprocate.”

The most powerful tools you can have are information and knowledge. I know how these groups operate. I know how they think.

His quest to convert Klan members, handshake by handshake, is the subject of the documentary “Accidental Courtesy,” now playing, which follows the gregarious Davis as he visits rallies and chats with members in diners, bars, conference rooms and even his own home.

Last edited:

JJ50

What is to be achieved by condemnation?
An interesting story....
https://nypost.com/2017/01/06/this-musicians-on-a-mission-to-convert-members-of-the-kkk/
Excerpted...
As an R&B and boogie-woogie piano player, Daryl Davis has had some wild times. He’s shared the stage with Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, and back in the day he used to play a “hot piano” that was literally on fire.

But few days were as surreal as the one during which a Ku Klux Klan member called the black musician for advice after being promoted to a higher rank within the hate group.

“He called me to ask what being a Great Titan meant,” Davis says. “He didn’t do his homework. The [induction] ceremony was pending, and he was too embarrassed to ask the Grand Dragon. So he called me.”

The 58-year-old Davis has been befriending Klan members for decades now. If they leave the group — as he says 20-odd men have over the years, thanks to him — they give him their Klan robes and regalia, for which Davis plans to eventually create a museum. His bookshelves house an extensive collection of KKK literature, and he claims to know more about the group’s history than many of its members.

“That’s my weapon,” Davis says. “The most powerful tools you can have are information and knowledge. I know how these groups operate. I know how they think.”

Davis’ philosophy is simple: “Allow them to air their views,” he says, “and there is an excellent chance that they will reciprocate.”

The most powerful tools you can have are information and knowledge. I know how these groups operate. I know how they think.

His quest to convert Klan members, handshake by handshake, is the subject of the documentary “Accidental Courtesy,” now playing, which follows the gregarious Davis as he visits rallies and chats with members in diners, bars, conference rooms and even his own home.

People should stand up and challenge those with unpleasant views which can be very damaging to others.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
People should stand up and challenge those with unpleasant views which can be very damaging to others.
Challenge away then, I say.
But do so with the intent to influence for
the better, not merely to rage & abuse.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You will never influence them for the better....
Reminds me of something Henry Ford once said.
Something like....
Whether you think you can, or think you can't...you're right.
You can't influence them for the better.
But I can.
.....they should be sent to prison for their abusive ways, imo.
Yes, we need even more people in prison,
where they'll surely be rehabilitated.

Catholicus

Your post is the standard liberal tripe - "things were always terrible, but now people are reporting them more."

Well, no - since in many Western towns, parents used to let their children roam and play freely (and with no ill-effect) but now don't dare to.

Catholicus

Was your point that if one the ignorant and dishonest as sources that one could "prove" anything? That would seem to be a rather foolish point to make. If one uses reliable sources they tend to support only one side of an argument. That is how we know that certain things are true. If one uses sources where people can do actual science we can know that we went to the Moon and back. If one uses sources that use actual history we know that there was a Holocaust in Germany. Yes, if I refer to idiots and liars I can "prove" that those events did not happen. Was that your supposed point? It did not seem that way to me.

You refer to actual science (moon landings) and almost universally-accepted historical facts (the Holocaust).

But as you know, many political and social "sciences" surveys deal with neither of these, only arbitrary samples of opinions or supposed facts.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Your post is the standard liberal tripe - "things were always terrible, but now people are reporting them more."

Well, no - since in many Western towns, parents used to let their children roam and play freely (and with no ill-effect) but now don't dare to.
It has nothing to do with liberalism (I'm not a liberal), and most children are molested by family or people they know. "Stranger danger" is mostly a myth.

Catholicus

Keep it up, there wont be anyone but you who disagrees
with me.

On discussion forums - but most people worldwide agree with me.

And with the secular people of the world ageing and dwindling due to their low birth rates, that will be more and more the case.

JJ50

And with the secular people of the world ageing and dwindling due to their low birth rates, that will be more and more the case.

That is a statement with no evidence to back it up.

Catholicus

With more and more "alternative" types of family about in recent decades, families have become dangerous places for children.

Stepdads are far likelier to abuse children than those children's biological dads are.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
With more and more "alternative" types of family about in recent decades, families have become dangerous places for children.

Stepdads are far likelier to abuse children than those children's biological dads are.
There's no evidence that child abuse is on the rise or that "alternative" family structures have to do with it. You're just making crap up.

Audie

Veteran Member

Topic drift, or dodge? I pointed out that the more a prerson
shouts about sin and perversion the more we know
they are talking about themselves.

You, most naturally disagree; I said you can keep
up the denial, but nobody here but you will
disagree.

So you claim that "worldwide" :D people disagree with
me, then go off on the birth rate of "secularists".

Or where did you go totally off topic? Just after
the word "forum", or did you never say anything at
all on how the forumistas here will see it my way-

That simple psych insight tells us that those
who obsesses and rave about sin are talking
about themselves?