• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Curious? What would you do...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I know everyone has a degree of privacy and sensitivity of sharing their faith. I'm a pretty open person so I don't mind sharing my practices even though I don't have a "faith" to wrap up simply what I believe.

I'm at school in the library right now and finishing my essays which is the last of my assignments before my exam. Outside the school, there is a lot of green area. We have a bushed path area where picnics are ideal. Benches and a waterfall view in the middle of a man made lake. Today is overcast but still nice.

I sit down after taking my books and papers from by backpack and a student behind me catches my attention. He said he was sorry to bother me but I saw you outside in front of the school pouring water on the ground (libations). I didn't want to ask but I'm curious what that was for. I shared with him that I believe the spirits and ancestors are from the earth (butt I couldnt summarize it in a two minute talk) and when I pray or give thanks I'll pour water since water is where we come from and it's four healing. He nodded. I told him I didn't know people were actually "watching" and most likely thought it weird. He said he felt the same but he was also curious. He didn't judge. No bias. I told him thank you for asking and that he made my day. Once in a blue moon someone would actually be interested in what I say and do. It was a short talk, five or six sentences. We went back to our work.

If you were in the same situation, would you share why you do what you do? If not, is it because of privacy or your personality? How others may react even though the question was light hearted? Preference one way or another?​

Just thought I'd ask.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have come to value the role of what I now call the witness.

There is a lot of constructive power in attaining respectful acknowledgement of our most private aspects from those who could well choose not to grant us that.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If someone asks, I'll try to answer. Typically it's idle curiosity on someone's part so my answer will be short and typically superficial. If by some rare chance, someone becomes truly interested, it's another matter but that is supremely rare in my experience.

Brinne

I'd probably do something similar, give them a short "in a nutshell" answer and if they have more questions go more into depth. It's kinda nice when people are interested and ask, at least as long as they are being sincere.

zahra67

I'm a pretty open person so I don't mind sharing my practices and faith.
i am very delighted to share my beliefs and experience with others.