• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm confused

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I don't know, that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out I just don't understand why names are different in different languages, of course I only speak one language so I can't prove nothing either way, just seems to me it would be a whole lot easier if your name was your name no matter where on the planet you are?
Pardon me for commenting in the middle of the discussion, but it appears you would like everyone to speak and mean the same thing in the same language now. ? Is that right? Or is it just the names you are concerned about?

Alone

Banned by request
Pardon me for commenting in the middle of the discussion, but it appears you would like everyone to speak and mean the same thing in the same language now. ? Is that right? Or is it just the names you are concerned about?
Well technically yes the post is referring to the name of the son of God and getting that accurate, however it would also be icing on the cake if we did speak the same thing (or at least say what we mean) it would sure be a whole lot easier to understand each other. But I'm not trying to hold anyone to that or anything I can't change the way people speak nor am I even going to attempt to try.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why should we? All we have is the written Greek stuff and we use the English version of the Latin version of the 1st century Greek version of Jesus' name, to wit: Jesus. Maybe that's why our prayers aren't getting answered: we're using the wrong name. LOL! the proper and correct name of the Galilean Jew in question is "a rabbit hole": i..e. trivial pursuit, fun and games for those who want to play, or knuckleheads' grounds for charging "heresy". You wanna play? Go play with the Jehovah's Witnesses who will tell you that HaShem's real name is "Jehovah" and anyone who says differently won't be in heaven or in Paradise.
You just informed me of something. Never heard of HaShem before.
However, not getting into an argument, but just pointing out something. I just looked it up.
HaShem is a title. So when you say HaShem's real name, you are not saying God's (title), or Lord's (title) real name, but you are saying, the Name's real name.
So it would seem to me, the more we avoid using a name, rather than titles we feel comfortable with, the more confusion we create.

For Jehovah's Witnesses, it not such a matter of a person not using the name Jehovah, not getting to heaven or paradise, but it is more a matter of a person having a relationship with God.
I don't know of anyone who has a close relationship with someone, not knowing their name, and using it... unless the person is nameless.
So it seems evident to me, that those who are close to God, will use his name... even if it is not accurate. There are a lot of things we don't know accurately, but God expects us to at least be in line with what is outlined in his word, by the prophets, Jesus, and the apostles... it's all written, thousands of places in the Bible.
I can't quote all...

(Psalm 5:11) . . .those loving your name will rejoice in you. . .
(Psalm 8:1) . . .how majestic your name is throughout the earth. . .
(Psalm 9:10) . . .Those knowing your name will trust in you. . .
(Psalm 34:3) . . .Let us exalt his name together. . .
(Psalm 68:4) . . .Jah is his name! Rejoice before him!
(Psalm 72:19) . . .May his glorious name be praised forever. . .
(Psalm 79:6) . . .Pour out your wrath on the nations that do not know you And on the kingdoms that do not call on your name.
(Psalm 83:18) . . .May people know that you, whose name is _________ (Fill in the blank. It's not a title), You alone are the Most High over all the earth.
(John 17:6) . . .I have made your name manifest to the men whom you gave me . . .
(John 17:26) . . .I have made your name known to them and will make it known. . .
(Acts 15:14) . . .Symʹe·on has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.
(Acts 15:17) . . .so that the men who remain may earnestly seek Jehovah, together with people of all the nations, people who are called by my name, says Jehovah, who is doing these things,

JesusKnowsYou

Could someone please explain this yeshua thing? I just don't understand this, if my name was Bob and I went to Jerusalem or China or anywhere other than the US and someone asked me my name I would say Bob, I wouldn't go to a Chinese or Greek or whatever book to find out what my name was. so I don't understand why the son of God has different names?
Actually, if you went to Japan "Bob" would be pronounced as "Babu".

Different languages tend to have different letters and pronunciations.

ajarntham

It's not just the problem of transliteration, it's the problem of translating a name from a language (Hebrew) which doesn't have cases into a language (Greek) which has strict rules for declensions and cases. If he was called Yeshua or Yehoshua in his lifetime, the NT authors could not have translated that as Iesoua, because the -a ending (IIRC) belongs only to feminine nouns, and only women's names would have used feminine nouns. That's why Elijah becomes Elias, not Elia.

Etritonakin

Could someone please explain this yeshua thing? I just don't understand this, if my name was Bob and I went to Jerusalem or China or anywhere other than the US and someone asked me my name I would say Bob, I wouldn't go to a Chinese or Greek or whatever book to find out what my name was. so I don't understand why the son of God has different names?
There is the fact that different names are pronounced differently in different languages - Jeeee sus as opposed to hay zooos, etc. -different rules of different languages -but names also used to be descriptions. Such as.... Simon being renamed Peter (meaning rock) because he was to be the stone upon which his church would be built -so check into the definitions of the names used for him in scripture. In addition to one word names with meanings, he also is called by other "names" -For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

He will also apparently be given a new actual name later.... 12The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will never again leave it. Upon him I will write the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God (the new Jerusalem that comes down out of heaven from My God), and My new name.

So...... as long as you know who you are talking about when various specific names -it's still his name.

Apparently, we will also get a new name -it says it will only be known to us -but perhaps that is only initially -not sure.
"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches To him who overcomes, to him I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he who receives it."

God will also give us a pure language. A pure language based on his complete perspective should do away with confusion as we have with human languages which were made over time from our incomplete perspective.
Here we have a few names -but the idea is the same....
King James Version
For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent.

Darby Bible Translation
For then will I turn to the peoples a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of Jehovah, to serve him with one consent.

World English Bible
For then I will purify the lips of the peoples, that they may all call on the name of Yahweh, to serve him shoulder to shoulder.

Young's Literal Translation
For then do I turn unto peoples a pure lip, To call all of them by the name of Jehovah, To serve Him with one shoulder.

Last edited:

Alone

Banned by request
There is the fact that different names are pronounced differently in different languages - Jeeee sus as opposed to hay zooos, etc. -different rules of different languages -but names also used to be descriptions. Such as.... Simon being renamed Peter (meaning rock) because he was to be the stone upon which his church would be built -so check into the definitions of the names used for him in scripture. In addition to one word names with meanings, he also is called by other "names" -For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

He will also apparently be given a new actual name later.... 12The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will never again leave it. Upon him I will write the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God (the new Jerusalem that comes down out of heaven from My God), and My new name.

So...... as long as you know who you are talking about when various specific names -it's still his name.

Apparently, we will also get a new name -it says it will only be known to us -but perhaps that is only initially -not sure.
"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches To him who overcomes, to him I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he who receives it."

God will also give us a pure language. A pure language based on his complete perspective should do away with confusion as we have with human languages which were made over time from our incomplete perspective.
Here we have a few names -but the idea is the same....
King James Version
For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent.

Darby Bible Translation
For then will I turn to the peoples a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of Jehovah, to serve him with one consent.

World English Bible
For then I will purify the lips of the peoples, that they may all call on the name of Yahweh, to serve him shoulder to shoulder.

Young's Literal Translation
For then do I turn unto peoples a pure lip, To call all of them by the name of Jehovah, To serve Him with one shoulder.
TY