• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm confused

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How does this compare to the theory that it wasn't Yeshua but YeHoShua? It seems like there is also some interest in this transliterated version of the Greek as well?
According to the sources that I read Ye-HoShua would have been an older version of the same name. For example Joshua is a transliteration of YeHoSua, names change as do languages and it appear that at Jesus's time YeHoShua had been simplified to Yeshua. To answer the question "What was Jesus called?" it would be best to use the name as spoken during his life:

This Is What Jesus' Friends And Family Actually Called Him — And No, It Wasn't Jesus

Of course most cultures are ethnocentric and religion is an issue that hits at home very deeply. To me it always wrong when Spanish speakers called Jesus "Hey soos". It turns out that they were wrong. But then so was I. I can see why some Christians have a bit of a cow when it comes to how to as "Jesus".

Alone

Banned by request
So are you saying that the most important name in the world doesn't have to be spelled correctly? I would hate to stand before God on judgement day and he say sorry you worship the wrong son, and if the Bible is not literal then how can it be true?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeshua in Hebrew is a verbal derivative from "to rescue", "to deliver". Among the Jews of the Second Temple Period, the Biblical Aramaic/Hebrew name יֵשׁוּעַ Yeshua' was common: the Hebrew Bible mentions several individuals with this name – while also using their full name Joshua. I just found this interesting online, this states that yeshua is not the name for Jesus.
Yeah, I found one too. It was the totally discredited Christian apologetics site CARM. Pretty much if you find something on CARM it is wrong. They are Bible literalists that really do not care about what the Bible means, they only care about the words in it, and all to often in English.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
According to the sources that I read Ye-HoShua would have been an older version of the same name. For example Joshua is a transliteration of YeHoSua, names change as do languages and it appear that at Jesus's time YeHoShua had been simplified to Yeshua. To answer the question "What was Jesus called?" it would be best to use the name as spoken during his life:

This Is What Jesus' Friends And Family Actually Called Him — And No, It Wasn't Jesus

Of course most cultures are ethnocentric and religion is an issue that hits at home very deeply. To me it always wrong when Spanish speakers called Jesus "Hey soos". It turns out that they were wrong. But then so was I. I can see why some Christians have a bit of a cow when it comes to how to as "Jesus".
Thank you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So are you saying that the most important name in the world doesn't have to be spelled correctly? I would hate to stand before God on judgement day and he say sorry you worship the wrong son, and if the Bible is not literal then how can it be true?
What do you mean "correctly"? There is no way to spell that name accurately in English. Worse yet we really cannot say what the pronunciation would actually be since there are no records of pronunciations from that era. One sound that exists in that area is what sounds like a throat clearing sound. And the name looks to me (a well known linguistic expert:rolleyes:) as if it might start with that sound. I would like to hear from some Arabic or Hebrew speakers on that, though neither of those languages is Aramaic either.

Terry Sampson

it's not likely that any of the authors knew "him" first hand,

Which is why I added:

being among those... , nearest in space and time, to those who knew the man himself

If you want, when I'm dead, I'll have some of my family and friends send you a letter telling you my name. You can, of course, continue after you get the letter, to wonder what my actual name was and, if you're especially skeptical, I suppose you could even argue that I never existed.

As for "witnessing events", I wasn't there, but when the author of 2nd Peter wrote:
  • 17 For when He received honor and glory from God the Father, such an utterance as this was made to Him by the Majestic Glory, “This is My beloved Son with whom I am well-pleased”—
  • 18 and we ourselves heard this utterance made from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
Somebody was there and heard the Bat Kol, and I choose to believe that whoever it was, he/she did..

And when the author of I Corinthans 15 wrote:
  • 3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died ... ,
  • 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised ...,
  • 5 and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.
  • 6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep;
  • 7 then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles;
  • 8 and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also
although Paul never claims to have met Jesus before Jesus' death and resurrection,
  • Paul admits to witnessing the stoning of Stephen, which is said to have taken place roughly in the mid 30s CE, not more than a few years after the death of Jesus.
So, IMO, if Paul was old enough to be standing nearby when Stephen was stoned, then it seems entirely possible that he was at least a young boy during Jesus' lifetime, and possibly even in his teens. In other words, whether or not Paul "met" Jesus or ever laid eyes on him personally, the fact that he encountered the resurrected Jesus not too many years after Stephen's death strongly suggests to me that there's a very high probability that he actually met a good number of folks who were companions of and witness to the existence of Jesus, some of whom are named in Chapter 15 of I Corinthians.

Alone

Banned by request
All these language barriers just don't make sense, at tower of Babel God confounded the languages of the people to stop them from building to heaven, it just doesn't make sense that he would make the languages so different that nobody can understand anything? Maybe I'm wrong for wanting to worship the right name but I thought our souls were serious business, maybe I'm wrong, I still really don't know what to believe anyways still trying to figure it out. I hope my comments have not offended anyone I apologize if they have.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
All these language barriers just don't make sense, at tower of Babel God confounded the languages of the people to stop them from building to heaven, it just doesn't make sense that he would make the languages so different that nobody can understand anything? Maybe I'm wrong for wanting to worship the right name but I thought our souls were serious business, maybe I'm wrong, I still really don't know what to believe anyways still trying to figure it out. I hope my comments have not offended anyone I apologize if they have.
The name isn't the issue, it's to whom you are praying. If you believe you are worshipping G-d, imo, He will hear you. People have been worshipping one G-d under many names for thousands of years. He hears them all.

Alone

Banned by request
So then how do we interpret these verses,
Proverbs 15:29 The Lord is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.
1st Peter 3:12 For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.

Terry Sampson

Which is what? Yosh, Yehoshua, Yeshua, Yeshu, Yoshua - which one?

You tell me .... what's the 1st century Hebrew name equivalent of "Joshua"? And, just for kicks, what's the 1st century Aramaic name equivalent to the 1st century Hebrew name equivalent of "Joshua"?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
You tell me .... what's the 1st century Hebrew name equivalent of "Joshua"? And, just for kicks, what's the 1st century Aramaic name equivalent to the 1st century Hebrew name equivalent of "Joshua"?
*shrug*. This is the first time I'm hearing that there was an Aramaic version of Joshua. There are two Biblically Hebrew versions of Joshua - Yehoshua and Yeshua. But 1st century variants may include Yoshua and Yeshu. So which is it? (And I'm the Jew here. You Christians should know!)

Alone

Banned by request
And to make it even a little more confusing I thought the original New testament was in Greek

nPeace

Veteran Member
Acts 4:12 (States) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
So I don't speak Aramaic only English so how do I know what name is The only name that I can be saved by?
Stating the name in its appropriate language form does not matter.
If language mattered, it would mean that God only listens to people who speak ancient Hebrew, but that is not the case.
God hears the Chinese, when he prays, the same way he hears the Russian, and the Philippine, and the African...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And to make it even a little more confusing I thought the original New testament was in Greek

That appears to be the case, but Jesus's name in Koine Greek would still have been a transliteration. In other words an attempt to phonically spell his name in Greek. It would not necessarily have been 100% accurate. As a comparison you should compare some English words transliterated into Japanese. They have a different pronunciation rules, the biggest one being that consonants cannot be combined and need to be separated by a vowel. This shows up quite often in sports. In baseball a called "Strike!" Becomes "Sutoraiku!" When spoken rapidly it sounds almost the same as "strike". Transliteration always has the problem of not being perfect. Then the Greek was later transliterated again. And again. By the time it got to English the name had little similarity to the original.

The name does not really matter as much as the intent.

Terry Sampson

You Christians should know!)

Why should we? All we have is the written Greek stuff and we use the English version of the Latin version of the 1st century Greek version of Jesus' name, to wit: Jesus. Maybe that's why our prayers aren't getting answered: we're using the wrong name. LOL! the proper and correct name of the Galilean Jew in question is "a rabbit hole": i..e. trivial pursuit, fun and games for those who want to play, or knuckleheads' grounds for charging "heresy". You wanna play? Go play with the Jehovah's Witnesses who will tell you that HaShem's real name is "Jehovah" and anyone who says differently won't be in heaven or in Paradise.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Why should we? All we have is the written Greek stuff and we use the English version of the Latin version of the 1st century Greek version of Jesus' name, to wit: Jesus. Maybe that's why our prayers aren't getting answered: we're using the wrong name. LOL! the proper and correct name of the Galilean Jew in question is "a rabbit hole": i..e. trivial pursuit, fun and games for those who want to play, or knuckleheads' grounds for charging "heresy". You wanna play? Go play with the Jehovah's Witnesses who will tell you that HaShem's real name is "Jehovah" and anyone who says differently won't be in heaven or in Paradise.
I honestly do not care that much. Just surprised to find out that you don't know how to spell your god's name.

Alone

Banned by request
It appears as though I maybe should not have brought this topic up, I didn't realize it was this controversial I think I am going to drop it thanks for the comments though this didn't go how I intended which is probably the problem. Sorry guys please forgive me

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
It appears as though I maybe should not have brought this topic up, I didn't realize it was this controversial I think I am going to drop it thanks for the comments though this didn't go how I intended which is probably the problem. Sorry guys please forgive me
Nothing to forgive, Alone.

If your religion says that your eternal fate rests on a name, it's understandable that you would want to get the name right.