• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm Cold

exchemist

Veteran Member
Greenly's Heating and Cooling... extremely rude, left the job on a frigid winter day 4 times to go deal with personal stuff, and rigged everything up really weird(and which eventually killed the furnace). I couldn't do anything about it, though, as it was the landlord who called him in. We did let him know we thought the guy was a quack, though. However, I still panic when I think repair person has to come in for the furnace, even if its not him....

This is a lesson I need to learn... I go barefoot everywhere, and its hard for me to come to terms with the fact that I will eventually need footwear. Its a struggle I have every fall/winter...
Yup, warm feet will make the whole body feel warmer. When I returned to the UK after 4 years in Dubai, it was my feet that suffered every winter. It took several years to re-adjust. Put on some nice thick socks and you will feel much warmer, I'm sure. And move about a bit.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Nothing like being toasty and comfortable. We don't all have thick bear fur coats...

Thermal underwear and a thick cardigan...when its in the 60s Fahrenheit....that's not toasty and comfortable that's sweltering and sweaty...

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Its really cold in here(my house).

I could turn up the thermostat, but I don't wanna, 'cause then my bill will go up. Its set at 66F right now.

What do you keep your thermostat at?
60 but then on a very cold day, 69. 60 because I also burn some wood.
My furnace fuel is propane. My sleeping room has its own thermostat and so far the propane heat has not got there yet. I hope that is the condition all winter because I like a cool room to sleep in.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Thermal underwear and a thick cardigan...when its in the 60s Fahrenheit....that's not toasty and comfortable that's sweltering and sweaty...

Unfortunately its only in the 40 (in your language) here at the warmest part of the day.

However there is nothing wrong with staying warm, pop on the cardigan before popping outside, remove it when you go back inside

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Unfortunately its only in the 40 (in your language) here at the warmest part of the day.

However there is nothing wrong with staying warm.

Yesterday the warmest part of my day was 33F..close to 0 in your language..... did not even wear my heavy winter coat to go outside...... and I went for a walk too

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yesterday the warmest part of my day was 33F..close to 0 in your language..... did not even wear my heavy winter coat to go outside...... and I went for a walk too

Thats bears for ya. This morning it was -4c (25f) when got up. When we went out it was warmer at just over zero (33f). And trust me on this i was clothed in 4 layers including a thermal vest, a sweat shirt, a cardigan and a heavy coat. Maybe im not as brave as you

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you not like a nice heel?

Only when I'm kicking someone's butt. :)

Yup, warm feet will make the whole body feel warmer. When I returned to the UK after 4 years in Dubai, it was my feet that suffered every winter. It took several years to re-adjust. Put on some nice thick socks and you will feel much warmer, I'm sure. And move about a bit.

Sometimes I'll run back and forth between the living room and the dining room with the kids. It helps. But when I'm first waking up.... the only moving I do is to the bathroom and back(to say I'm not a morning person is an understatement). It seems like that's when the cold gets me most.

Shadow11

I sleep better in a cold room so I keep it cool at 18 Celsius its about to drop to -21c in a few days here. I will have to deal with a bunch of -35c days later in the year not looking forward to it vehicle won't even start even plugged in because the battery freezes on those days.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I am 30 years old.....for the second time...60F, in my neck of the woods, is a real comfortable temperature
Do think thirty years old is considered old ?
I am 30 years old.....for the second time...60F, in my neck of the woods, is a real comfortable temperature
Thirty years young might be more like it.... sixty degrees in the house while sitting on my arse for extended periods of time due to a number of ailments requires a flannel shirt.....

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
In talking with my mom who lives on the east coast, there seems to be variation in electricity prices regionally. This assumes your furnace is electric, of course. We have a heat pump and our electric bill stays at about $100 a month except in the coldest winter months (usually December and January) when it might hit $250. Last month the electric bill was $65 so it can vary quite a bit.
A heat pump saves a lot on electric bills and many people in the Pacific Northwest have heat pumps, but it is a big investment to get another furnace and a heat pump. I am going to buy a new furnace and heat pump for my rental house because presently all the tenant has is a wood stove downstairs and baseboard heaters upstairs since his furnace/heat pump died a few years ago.

Our electric bill is $283 every month and that is on the averaging plan. Usage goes down to $80 in the summer when we use no heat and over $500 in winter, and it usually does not get much below freezing in winter, and not for very long.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Only when I'm kicking someone's butt. :)

Sometimes I'll run back and forth between the living room and the dining room with the kids. It helps. But when I'm first waking up.... the only moving I do is to the bathroom and back(to say I'm not a morning person is an understatement). It seems like that's when the cold gets me most.
Start the day with a hot bath, then. I do that when it's cold and it keeps me warm until the body starts to generate some heat. I also do exercises after my bath which get the circulation going. But I admit I am a morning person, so this may not work for you.

RestlessSoul

I sleep better in a cold room so I keep it cool at 18 Celsius its about to drop to -21c in a few days here. I will have to deal with a bunch of -35c days later in the year not looking forward to it vehicle won't even start even plugged in because the battery freezes on those days.

Where do you live?

I can handle cold, but relentless darkness gets me down. That’s why I wouldn’t want to live any further north than I currently am (London).

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I could turn up the thermostat, but I don't wanna, 'cause then my bill will go up. Its set at 66F right now.

During the winter, between 68 and 72.

During the summer, 78 when not at home, 76 when home and 74-73 when we sleep.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Where do you live?

I can handle cold, but relentless darkness gets me down. That’s why I wouldn’t want to live any further north than I currently am (London).
I love the rain and cloudiness and darkness so I would never survive a warm sunny Equatorial climate.
Just south of Seattle, I am not in a much lower latitude than you are in London and the climate is not too different.
I like extremes of daylight and darkness as well as beautiful scenery, so Alaska would work for me.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I like to wear warm clothes and not sweat, so I like my temps around 67F which is about 19C. I can endure warmer. At 74F I tend to go shirtless.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Wear a turtleneck or scarf. Keeping the neck warm, particularly at the base stem, seems to trick the brain into a more balmy mindset and things get instantaneously more comfortable.

amorphous_constellation

I don't know, I've been trying to expose my body to more cold actually, just as an experiment to see if it acclimates. Not recommending anyone do this, it's just personal experimentation, ala wim hof. There is certainly enough coldness here in WI for me to use, as well