• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm An Atheist Who Follows the Golden Rule

4consideration

Premium Member
I don't think so -- not unless you treat other people as stupid simply because they do things that their religion agrees with as appropriate behavior.

If one sees wisdom and benefit in a certain behavior and would not do it, just because some religion endorses that behavior, I don't think that would be irony, either, just poor reasoning.

PackJason

I make up facts.
I don't think so -- not unless you treat other people as stupid simply because they do things that their religion agrees with as appropriate behavior.

If one sees wisdom and benefit in a certain behavior and would not do it, just because some religion endorses that behavior, I don't think that would be irony, either, just poor reasoning.

Poor reasoning?

Please elaborate.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Why would someone, anyone, who follows the Golden Rule be ironic?
(ironic no the right word methinks)
I appreciate good behavior from everyone that displays such.
Would good behavior be objectionable no matter who behaved in such a way.
Qualities such as this has nothing to do with religion.

4consideration

Premium Member
Poor reasoning?

Please elaborate.
If one recognized value and benefit in a particular behavior but refuses to follow that behavior because the person is more concerned with opposing a belief system than behaving in a way one sees to be valuable and beneficial, I think that is a sign of poor ability to prioritize, and would term that "poor" reasoning -- because one would be choosing a lesser standard of conduct for oneself because of one's opposition to another person/group.

Is that more clear?

PackJason

I make up facts.
If one recognized value and benefit in a particular behavior but refuses to follow that behavior because the person is more concerned with opposing a belief system than behaving in a way one sees to be valuable and beneficial, I think that is a sign of poor ability to prioritize, and would term that "poor" reasoning -- because one would be choosing a lesser standard of conduct for oneself because of one's opposition to another person/group.

Is that more clear?

I took what you said to mean I'm using poor reasoning by following the Golden Rule since I'm an atheist. Thanks for clarifying.

PackJason

I make up facts.
Does it then follow that a person doesn't need a religion to be a good person? If yes, then why is there such a misconception that atheists aren't trustworthy?

Poll after poll in The United States show that the general public trusts atheists less than any other group of people.

Demonslayer

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-secular-life/201406/why-americans-hate-atheists

The Pew Research Center released the results of a new survey concerning who Americans would want – or rather, wouldn’t want – for an in-law. While about 10 percent of Americans said they’d be unhappy if a family member married someone of a different political persuasion, and about 30 percent of Americans said they’d be unhappy if a family member married a gun owner, nearly 50 percent of Americans said that they’d be unhappy if a family member married an atheist.

Corthos

Great Old One
I remember how, in my old A.C.E. curriculum, they touched on how the Christian version of the Golden Rule was superior to other religions...

Does it then follow that a person doesn't need a religion to be a good person? If yes, then why is there such a misconception that atheists aren't trustworthy?

Poll after poll in The United States show that the general public trusts atheists less than any other group of people.

I'd be curious to know where these polls took place. A poll taken in a city in the bible belt would get different results than a poll in, say, Seattle, I would imagine.

Marsh

Is that irony?
I too am an atheist and I have long observed the "Golden Rule". Just seems the right way to treat others, don't you think? You may have heard that the "Rule" had been stated many times before it's appearance in the New Testament. It is not exclusively a Christian concept.

Demonslayer

I'd be curious to know where these polls took place. A poll taken in a city in the bible belt would get different results than a poll in, say, Seattle, I would imagine.

Typically polls like this try to sample more than one area. The one I posted was from the Pew Research center which is a pretty reputable survey organization.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I too am an atheist and I have long observed the "Golden Rule". Just seems the right way to treat others, don't you think? You may have heard that the "Rule" had been stated many times before it's appearance in the New Testament. It is not exclusively a Christian concept.
yeah....saw it in a documentary....
the rule was written in stone a thousand years before the Carpenter walked.

but He did say.....I have been with you always.....
I think He was inferring His Personification of the Living Law

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've watched a few episodes of....
https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/gaycation
In 2 of the countries, Brazil & Jamaica, anti-gay & anti-trans violence is particularly commonplace & heinous.
It's closely linked to Xianity & its traditions.
The Golden Rule doesn't appear to be essential in this religion.

Corthos

Great Old One
Typically polls like this try to sample more than one area. The one I posted was from the Pew Research center which is a pretty reputable survey organization.

Oh, I'm not doubting the validity of the poll. I think it's pretty apparent that the U.S. has a pretty vast religious majority. The U.S. is a regional country, though, so I find much more value (and general accuracy) in localized polls. =)