• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm always afraid of getting ripped off

Pastor Roy

Hello, I'm looking for a Christian bracelet for my son, I came across some interesting online stores but I'm really not accustomed to buying online and I have to say that leaving my banking information scares me a little... Yes I know I'm a bit old-fashioned but how do I know if a site is secure?

Do you have any feedback on your experience with online shopping?

Thank you

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hello, I'm looking for a Christian bracelet for my son, I came across some interesting online stores but I'm really not accustomed to buying online and I have to say that leaving my banking information scares me a little... Yes I know I'm a bit old-fashioned but how do I know if a site is secure?

Thank you

The url in the address bar will begin HTTPS:// the S is important, it donates the site is secure. This should give some confidence.

Some web browsers also display a locked padlock symbol for a secure site.

Also check the sites trust seal is valid, jyst click the seal image and it should verify details

And welcome to RF, i hope you enjoy your time here.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member

Thank you
There are many factors but a few things help in general. Do you have consumer protection in your country? If so, they will help you when you buy domestically.
Is it a big, well-known retailer? They have a reputation to lose.
Are there independent evaluations online? (Yelp)
Ebay has a recommendation system integrated.
I have been ripped off online no more than offline.

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

Thank you
If you use eBay you can buy stuff off people using Paypal which is secure - you don't have to give your banking details over to any vendor

And there are loads and loads of stuff on eBay

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
In addition to the other advice, there is often the option to save one's credit/debit card details. Mostly one should not do so, thus eliminating one possible source of attack, although I don't follow my own advice with regards Amazon since I do buy so much via them. :oops: But I have not - for possibly two decades or more of buying online - had any problems doing so. And likewise with internet banking.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
In addition to the other advice, there is often the option to save one's credit/debit card details. Mostly one should not do so, thus eliminating one possible source of attack, although I don't follow my own advice with regards Amazon since I do buy so much via them. :oops: But I have not - for possibly two decades or more of buying online - had any problems doing so. And likewise with internet banking.
From recent experiences (on Amazon) I seriously recommend you take your own advice. From now on I will input and then delete my bank details each time I purchase from Amazon.

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
If you can use paypal as a payment option, the place you buy from never sees your credit/debit information. The times PayPal has been hacked in the past, hackers walked away empty handed. They are a pretty good service!

I would check out etsy. They have a huge selection of hand made, unique things, and they accept paypal.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Thank you
@ChristineM nails it really. No "S", No Buy.

Also, you can digitally hold your bank details with a third party secure provider. I'm registered as one, so if you PM me your full bank details I can keep them safe. In a box. If you need to get in touch, you can write to me at a fictitious address, probably in Nigeria.

Joking aside....welcome to RF and remember the S.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Thank you
To limit risk you can do several things in addition to maintaining good computer security. You can ask your bank to issue one-time credit card for a purchase. You can use an intermediate company such as Amazon or Paypal to transfer from your account to the company, so your bank details are only exposed to Amazon or to Paypal. This also means you don't need to disclose your address to the seller.

No online merchant is crazy enough to take full responsibility for the entire process. You'll never find "We take full responsibility" in any online transaction agreement.

Security of your information has to be kept safe 3 ways. First, your computer has to be secured. Second the site you buy from must be wisely administered. Thirdly, the transaction must happen over an encrypted connection.

Finally, security is ultimately not perfect. If you have a dedicated person trying to financially hurt you, then asking for advice here is not enough.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
First, welcome to RF.

The above is good advice.

I don't think online purchasing is any worse than using a credit card in a store if you take good precautions. In any event, I've never had a problem (so far).

Here's my list which includes what others have written:

Use a good anti-Virus package. Personally I'm using Norton with LifeLock but there are others.

As noted, use one site such as PayPal that lives and dies by being secure. They have a strong interest in not having people use them to rip off others.

Use well-known sites. Without going into how you can check other sites that are not well known, I'd use major shopping sites that are associated with stores or Amazon.

If what you're looking for is only available in a small online location, try to use a on-time credit card as noted above. Don't use a debit card.

If a site starts asking for more than you need to make a purchase, name, address, payment type, I'd back out.

Set your browser, depending on which you use, to a "private", "InPrivate" or "incognito" window before shopping. It's not perfect but a real help.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Thank you
You should ask your bank if they have temp credit cards.
My bank offers them.

What they are is a card number that you preset the amount and use it only once.
What I do is get my online cart ready for check out, note the amount for it, go to my bank and get a card number for that amount.
Then I bring up the online cart and use that number to check out.

Since the number is only a one time use card number, I do not have to worry about my banking or credit/debit card number getting out onto the internet.

My sister in law has a credit card she got from wal-mart which she loads money onto by going to any walmart service center.
She took this route for monthly charges, I.E. Netflix, Hulu, etc.
all she has to do is load up the card to cover the monthly expenses and she also does not have to worry about her credit/debit card info getting out onto the internet.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
From recent experiences (on Amazon) I seriously recommend you take your own advice. From now on I will input and then delete my bank details each time I purchase from Amazon.
Probably for the best. I do try to be consistent and haven't had any malware on any of my computers - not that ever became active at least, and my anti-virus seems to do a good job. I've enabled secondary log-ins via text to mobile recently on Amazon so as to step up security but of course I can't do anything if their database is hacked.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Probably for the best. I do try to be consistent and haven't had any malware on any of my computers - not that ever became active at least, and my anti-virus seems to do a good job. I've enabled secondary log-ins via text to mobile recently on Amazon so as to step up security but of course I can't do anything if their database is hacked.
A few weeks ago, unbeknown to me, I made a purchase from Amazon at two o'clock in the morning. I made the changes they advised. A couple of weeks later the same thing happened again. This time I deleted my bank details from Amzon.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A few weeks ago, unbeknown to me, I made a purchase from Amazon at two o'clock in the morning. I made the changes they advised. A couple of weeks later the same thing happened again. This time I deleted my bank details from Amzon.
Sounds a bit scary. :oops: My only issue with Amazon, apart from when many things arrived in boxes far too large (and which was probably not their issue), was when I enabled secondary log-in and they assumed I was using an internet-enabled smartphone (sending me internet links), and it took some while to be able to log-in so as to alter such - even phoning them didn't seem to get the message across - that I could only use text information. OK now - so far - but I will delete my bank details even if it makes the buying process longer.

Pastor Roy

If you can use paypal as a payment option, the place you buy from never sees your credit/debit information. The times PayPal has been hacked in the past, hackers walked away empty handed. They are a pretty good service!

I would check out etsy. They have a huge selection of hand made, unique things, and they accept paypal.
Yes I think paypal is safe!