• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm about to try yoga...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
In the classical yoga sutras of Sage Patanjali, there are 8 limbs or stages. Asanas is the third limb or stage. The first two are the yamas and niyamas. There is some difference about how to view the 8. In Saiva Siddhanta, we view them as overlapping stages, whilst in modern American yoga schools, they're more likely to be seen as limbs. Personally, I don't agree with this POV as it seems more logical to have your ethical life in order before being successful with more advanced stages.

Most yoga studios more or less ignore the yamas and niyamas, or have never heard of them. (The old spiritual ego of 'I'm beyond that' comes into play.) They start with the asanas, and then some do take it further. Regardless if how one views it, it can't do a lot of harm physically unless you overdo it. Personally, I'm still working on the yamas and niyamas, and will be for the rest of this lifetime.
Thank you very much. This is super helpful.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Most Western "Yoga" is just another exercise regime, like Pilates or Zoomba.
Its for men or for women, but its perceived as an exercise for women. They are naturally more flexible, and they are usually the ones who sign up for Yoga classes.