• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm a devil-worshipping anti-Christ...

Draka

Wonder Woman
...Or so I've been told.

When people on this forum, or even IRL, make stupid "insults" like this at you, or others, what is your reaction?

In another thread a new poster decided that he didn't like my criticism of certain Christian myths and he jumped in quick to label me a "devil-worshipping anti-Christ". Now, while I might find that kinda funny and kinda sad at the same time, it doesn't really make me too mad because I know they are speaking from a point of ignorance.

What do you think?

From the perspective of that members belief system, you are a devil worshiping anti-christ. The message here as I interpret it is that not all belief structures are created equally. :)

Draka

Wonder Woman
From the perspective of that members belief system, you are a devil worshiping anti-christ. The message here as I interpret it is that not all belief structures are created equally. :)

Yeah, some belief structures have tolerance and acceptance built in to them and don't include name-calling as a way to support or defend their faith. :p

(not saying Christianity doesn't, but that a certain person's personal belief structure appears to be that way ;) )

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Don't you know? Any religion that is not the same as that of a prejudiced fool is not a real religion and therefore must be devil worship. :yes: I am just glad they don't know about the rubber chicken rituals.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I can comment from the other end,too. I have been called bigoted by a person or two just because I am a follower of Jesus (not really directly, mostly).
And you're right, Draka, it is amusing and sad at the same time.
Ignorance can usually be cured with knowledge, but some people reject the knowledge and that is sad, too.

Draka

Wonder Woman
What further proved the ignorance here was him going on to say "wicca=witchraft=evil=devil" Okie dokie then...:areyoucra

If you really believed, at your core that your belief system was RIGHT, and all other systems were created by some malevolent, deceptive entity who has made it it's mission to deceive everyone away from god and into it's evil clutches, then calling someone a 'devil worshiper' would just be a matter of fact, not really a pejorative.

Who is at fault when an adherent to a belief system acts accordingly with that belief system? The adherent, or the system itself?

This is one of the many reasons I think universal acceptance of peoples beliefs regardless of content is a very bad idea.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I can comment from the other end,too. I have been called bigoted by a person or two just because I am a follower of Jesus (not really directly, mostly).
And you're right, Draka, it is amusing and sad at the same time.
Ignorance can usually be cured with knowledge, but some people reject the knowledge and that is sad, too.

Yeah. There just seem to be those types that no matter how much information you present them with, if it doesn't fall within their prescribed worldview...it doesn't really exist.

And I've never thought of you as bigoted :hug:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yeah. There just seem to be those types that no matter how much information you present them with, if it doesn't fall within their prescribed worldview...it doesn't really exist.

And I've never thought of you as bigoted :hug:

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
What further proved the ignorance here was him going on to say "wicca=witchraft=evil=devil" Okie dokie then...:areyoucra
By the way, I have heard that some "Christian" churches are actually teaching their people that Wicca is devil worship. It is a shame they have to cut down other religions to try and earn more money for their collection baskets. :(

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
...Or so I've been told.

When people on this forum, or even IRL, make stupid "insults" like this at you, or others, what is your reaction?

In another thread a new poster decided that he didn't like my criticism of certain Christian myths and he jumped in quick to label me a "devil-worshipping anti-Christ". Now, while I might find that kinda funny and kinda sad at the same time, it doesn't really make me too mad because I know they are speaking from a point of ignorance.

What do you think?

It's a little hurtful, a little funny and as you've stated, a little sad too.

I'm pretty sure that I'm perceived as a bigot at times. :{

Erebus

I tend not to get insulted much, but if I feel that somebody is insulting me without any form of constructive criticism to work on, I pretty much ignore them from then on. No point wasting time on people who want an argument and nothing else is there?

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Personally, I like it when they say those things to me. It proves their ignorance, which is extremely amusing, and I just like to mess with them sometimes ;) like I'll agree with them and completely make stuff up. Like tell them I sacrificed my dog and drank its blood as a sacrifice to Satan (which I would never do). I use those ignorant people as entertainment sources. They are like interactive TV! haha

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
By the way, I have heard that some "Christian" churches are actually teaching their people that Wicca is devil worship. It is a shame they have to cut down other religions to try and earn more money for their collection baskets. :(

There is a TV show called "A Haunting" and there was an episode where a woman was wiccan and she had a picture of Baphomet, which the narrator labelled as "the devil" and it ended up that because of her wiccan practices, demons came to the house etc etc. Then she became christian or something, I don't really remember. All I remember is how stupid it was.

.lava

Veteran Member
...Or so I've been told.

What do you think?

hi :)

IMO, no matter what you do, no matter what you say, no matter how you live and act among people, there would be people who would hate you for it. if you do as they want and expect, then other people would treat you badly and hate you for whoever you are. it is like a joke but i am afraid this is reality, a fact.

when it happens, i'd defend my belief, my feelings, my path but how i act upon it might change on daily bases. because i am not in the same mood everyday. some days i am emotionally stronger than other days. sometimes i feel tired and get upset. if i get too upset and become angry, then i rather shut my mouth until i calm down. that's because i love myself. i refuse to use my own breath and my own energy which is life as a tool of rage and anger.

yes, it is very sad indeed

S-word

...Or so I've been told.

What do you think?

Well if you were "a devil worshipping Anti-Chhist," you would be proof positive that there is a god who prophesied through the apostles that people such as your self would come into the world.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
If you really believed, at your core that your belief system was RIGHT, and all other systems were created by some malevolent, deceptive entity who has made it it's mission to deceive everyone away from god and into it's evil clutches, then calling someone a 'devil worshiper' would just be a matter of fact, not really a pejorative.
I completely disagree.
It does not matter how strongly they believe it, belief in it does not make it a fact.

Who is at fault when an adherent to a belief system acts accordingly with that belief system? The adherent, or the system itself?
Both.

This is one of the many reasons I think universal acceptance of peoples beliefs regardless of content is a very bad idea.
I will never happen anyway.

I completely disagree.
It does not matter how strongly they believe it, belief in it does not make it a fact.
If you define devil worshiper as 'anyone that follows any religion that isn't that RIGHT flavour of christianity', then it is indeed a fact, at least insofar as the one defining it thusly and any that might agree.

And make no mistake, plenty of christians use that definition.