• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Illegal To Insult Cops?

tarasan

It can be a fine line; criticism is often taken as an insult.

That is true to be fair. I understand we are in a time were some cops have done bad things but that isn't all of them. It's a hard job were u are but in impossible situations. Maybe letting them be heckled is a bit to much?

What are ur thoughts?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"Keep the peace?" They see their jobs as imposing order, stifling dissent, opposing change (improvement).
"Keep the peace?" How are aggressive authoritarians supposed to keep the peace? Authoritarians don't want peace. They believe in force and strength.
Have you noticed law enforcement is the only government entity that is always on the offensive. They stay out there actively hunting for people.

They are not reponsive like fire and ambulance is.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
That is true to be fair. I understand we are in a time were some cops have done bad things but that isn't all of them. It's a hard job were u are but in impossible situations. Maybe letting them be heckled is a bit to much?

What are ur thoughts?

Because of the power and authority they have, I hold them to a high standard. But my experience with law enforcement has been positive - though I am a white male so recognize not everyone has the same experience with the police. So heckle, no. But no toleration for abusing their power either.

tarasan

Because of the power and authority they have, I hold them to a high standard. But my experience with law enforcement has been positive - though I am a white male so recognize not everyone has the same experience with the police. So heckle, no. But no toleration for abusing their power either.
100% but wasn't the topic of this thread heckling? We definitely have to criticize people in authority but we also have to recognize slot of cops don't, and should not have to tolerate ridicule. They do a dangerous job.

Twilight Hue

Oh, the police has always protected and served certain classes of society, it just generally does not protect and serve the poor and in some cases, not even the majority population.
Protect and serve has been a longtime joke. Its Propaganda.

Subjugation and Obedience is a much more accurate fit on a patrol car and uniform badge, rather than protect and serve.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
100% but wasn't the topic of this thread heckling? We definitely have to criticize people in authority but we also have to recognize slot of cops don't, and should not have to tolerate ridicule. They do a dangerous job.
Being a cop isn't even in the top 10 most dangerous jobs.
The perception of danger is fostered by TV shows & by cops.

Twilight Hue

That's true. I will say this, and that there are police officers out there who are undeniablly good and upstanding people with a truly horrible job to do.

I can't put all police officers in a bad light, but truth be told, it's definitely a horrible system that needs an urgent overhaul to bring law enforcement new respect and even admiration.

Fingers crossed for police reform.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

It depends on the context. If I happened to witness a cop doing something outrageous it is not out of the question that he would get some verbal abuse.I have never witnessed anything like that though (personally).

tarasan

Being a cop isn't even in the top 10 most dangerous jobs.
The perception of danger is fostered by TV shows & by cops.
To be fare does not being in the top ten mean that what u do isn't very dangerous? I mean who is insulting deep sea fisherman for doing their job?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is a bit of an unfair generalization, or do you mean the institutional aspect of it? I am good friends with a cop and he is nothing like you described. In fact he is one of the nicest, most caring people I know. :)
Of course they're nice. That's the essence of tribalism; in-group altruism, out-group distrust and antagonism. There are friends, and then there is 'the public', which is a dangerous, collection of criminals that must be kept under control.

US cops are taught that every interaction carries risk, and that the public is a potential threat. A police patrol is an excursion into armed enemy territory.

We Never Know

No Slack
Protect and serve has been a longtime joke. Its Propaganda.

Subjugation and Obedience is a much more accurate fit on a patrol car and uniform badge, rather than protect and serve.

Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981) is a District of Columbia Court of Appeals case that held that the police do not owe a specific duty to provide police services to citizens based on the public duty doctrine.

<i>Warren v. District of Columbia</i>

the supreme court has ruled that police agencies are not obligated to provide protection of citizens. In other words, police are well within their rights to pick and choose when to intervene to protect the lives and property of others — even when a threat is apparent.

Police Have No Duty to Protect You, Federal Court Affirms Yet Again | Ryan McMaken.

The Police are Not Required to Protect You

The Police are Not Required to Protect You — Barnes Law

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To be fare does not being in the top ten mean that what u do isn't very dangerous? I mean who is insulting deep sea fisherman for doing their job?
I oppose making insults illegal.
It would be too much power for government.

Shaul

Premium Member
So if Trump claims he was only insulting the police can he get his Twitter account back?

tarasan

I oppose making insults illegal.
It would be too much power for government.
I agree on a general basis, like u could call me all manor of things now and I'd probably agree with you on half of them ;).

But during an actual physical engagment with the police? No. Criticize them generally or complain about a particular officer after the fact? Yes.

In the moment? No it could cause incitement and might be used as a weapon to motivate individuals to attack them. I don't think that's right

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rioting is in the responsibly of the people doing the rioting and saying "police" implies they are all doing it and that is not the case. I'm firstly certain I saw police marching with the peaceful protestors of BLM so it's not quite as clear cut as that.
Heavy handed police intervention into peaceful protests frequently escalates them into violent confrontations.
Why this obsession with order and control? Disorder is not a threat, and it's not the police's job to 'control' demonstrations.

We Reviewed Police Tactics Seen in Nearly 400 Protest Videos. Here’s What We Found.
Why So Many Police Are Handling the Protests Wrong
Tear Gas and Rubber Bullets Should Be a Last Resort. So Why Are Police Using Them on Protesters First?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree on a general basis, like u could call me all manor of things now and I'd probably agree with you on half of them ;).

But during an actual physical engagment with the police? No. Criticize them generally or complain about a particular officer after the fact? Yes.

In the moment? No it could cause incitement and might be used as a weapon to motivate individuals to attack them. I don't think that's right
It's too much power to give them...to interpret something
as an insult, & arrest the perp. No....that would be to
subvert the 1st Amendment, & chill political speech.

Twilight Hue

So you have nothing. Just a lot of hot air.

Why the hatred towards police? Too many traffic tickets?
Nope. I'm fine.

But I'll let you hang onto that hot air summery.

I'm beginning to envy where you live. Sounds like a right nice utopia.

A regular Mayberry I'm guessing?