• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'll be lurking about

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I had staff where I work seriously ask me if this was going to happen in our district.
Wtf. This is news to me. What on earth are these people thinking?

Edit: just pretend my informative rating is a shocked faced wtf rating on the post im quoting

I can't think of what else to rate it as it's informative alright but not the information I was expecting

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
placing litter boxes in school bathrooms.

Its about time someone did something about this.

Though, the article states tables have to be lowered so students can eat without utensils... You don't need a low table for that.

And if you put a bowl on a table in front of a hungry kitty and provide them with a chair, they're happy to stand on it and eat from the bowl.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
@Guitar's Cry
Reading more and more on the sources they used to fact check and stuff if all that was true at least it'd be more interesting teaching high school lol

Edit:
Now im tempted to write a fictional story where teachers have to accomadate werewolves

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Mazal tov on your soi-disant courage, but why on earth would god damn a spade?

When I was a kid, I used to burst into giggles every time someone said "God damn it!" because I'd picture God coming down to literally damn whatever they were swearing at... It all seemed very silly to me!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello, I hope you enjoy the discussions of the community here.

Reading your comments, your use of the term "woke" has prompted a few thoughts. I must admit this is a term I try to avoid, as it makes me uneasy, for a couple of reasons.

In the first place, as "woke" is slang for "awakened", one has to assume the converse of "woke" would be "asleep" - or perhaps "sleepin' " , if one enters into the spirit of the vernacular idiom. Is it better to be thought sleepin' than woke? I'd have thought not, on the whole.

In the second place, the term "woke" is in fact taken from the US black vernacular for having been awakened to the extent of racial prejudice and discrimination in society. So, using "woke" as a term of denigration seems to me to have a whiff of racism about it. In fact it could be seen as a bit of a masonic handshake between people with underlying racist sympathies, a dogwhistle term, when used in this way.

I realise that words like this change their meaning or connotations almost from day to day, so maybe my distrust of this term is already out of date. Nevertheless it's one I personally avoid.

At the risk of sidelining @Reyn's intro thread (hi, btw), this prompted a couple of quick thoughts.

1. 'Woke' might be slang for awakened, and intended as a way of suggesting the 'non-woke' are asleep, but giving oneself any epitaph doesn't make it so. I still vomit in my mouth when I recall a push by some atheists to use the term 'Brights'.

2. There's a whole rich history of America that is largely untold in many circles. That includes a substantial history involving African Americans. Native Americans too. The lack of nuance and transparency in how a lot of American history is understood is absolutely problematic and requires addressing.

3. Treating people as fairly as possible requires effort and thought. Not something I understood when I was young, when I figured treating everyone as I wanted to be treated was enough.

4. Some of the more fringey left-wing crap is unhelpful to all of the above in my opinion. And more sensible lefties need to play an active role in policing that fringe, just as the right needs to get some of their more politically extreme conservatives under control. I'm more scared of those on the right, but neither 'side' is doing a good job of this imho.

5. Something, something appropriation of the term 'woke', something, something.
(Kinda a half thought, but 'woke' is covering a lot of ground these days, and is both positive and negative in its use. I personally don't think it's helping anyone at this point)

MonkeyFire

Passive-equanimity is the substance of compassion, the end of suffering. Enlightenment and common sense shut the gate, and locks it. Belief makes it possible.

welcome to the machine, Reyn.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Hello to all here on this forum. I'll be mainly be lurking about, seeing if I can scrounge up anything which satiates my appetite. At the very least, so far from my observations, this place isn't a haven for the sort of woke crowd, common online these days. Least, I've not seen them hanging about too much in the left hand path section.

Welcome.

Unfortunately, this place is a haven for woke ideology.

But, why let that stop you? I don’t.

I utilize RF primarily as one of many resources to archive my thoughts. I do this to document my Weltanschauung and spiritual-religious evolution, so that future versions of myself might look back and remember. Perhaps to see how far I’ve grown. Perhaps out of a need to be reminded, when I have grown distracted… or if I meet such an unfortunate fate that I require significant course correction, so that I might reteach myself, and reignite the passion and sense of purpose, and remember who I am at my core and the things that matter most.

It is also a way for me to measure the effects of certain viewpoints on specific groups of people. To effectively convey the unacceptable, in a way that makes it appear acceptable… takes practice. I can do that here, and take that experience elsewhere.

I encourage you to post honestly and genuinely in the LHP section, whenever you will, and hold nothing back.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

My daughter (11) has developed a pretty deep interest in World War 2, mostly centred around refugees and the Holocaust. We took her and her older sister to Auschwitz 3 years back (she had just turned 9) and she was fascinated (and completely horrified).

Maus was a good second-hand account from the perspective of a survivor, and was real enough she found it believable. Not a kids book (it won a Pulitzer) but approachable enough, and she's a smart kid.

It's not new...1980 vintage.

Maus - Wikipedia

Reyn

The Hungry Abyss
Welcome.

Unfortunately, this place is a haven for woke ideology.

But, why let that stop you? I don’t.

I utilize RF primarily as one of many resources to archive my thoughts. I do this to document my Weltanschauung and spiritual-religious evolution, so that future versions of myself might look back and remember. Perhaps to see how far I’ve grown. Perhaps out of a need to be reminded, when I have grown distracted… or if I meet such an unfortunate fate that I require significant course correction, so that I might reteach myself, and reignite the passion and sense of purpose, and remember who I am at my core and the things that matter most.

It is also a way for me to measure the effects of certain viewpoints on specific groups of people. To effectively convey the unacceptable, in a way that makes it appear acceptable… takes practice. I can do that here, and take that experience elsewhere.

I encourage you to post honestly and genuinely in the LHP section, whenever you will, and hold nothing back.

Disturbing that this place is an oasis for the woke. Hopefully the LHP directory will not be filled up with hyper sensitive snowflakes, whining about cultural appropriation or identifying as various reincarnated demons and deities.

However, inviting me to hold nothing back, sounds like a ban, waiting to happen to be honest.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Disturbing that this place is an oasis for the woke. Hopefully the LHP directory will not be filled up with hyper sensitive snowflakes, whining about cultural appropriation or identifying as various reincarnated demons and deities.

However, inviting me to hold nothing back, sounds like a ban, waiting to happen to be honest.
Would you have trouble explaining your awakening?

exchemist

Veteran Member

Jolly good. If you like, you can trawl for a ban of course - and then you can whine (elsewhere) about how beastly the woke types on RF have been to you. But wait, that would be a bit snowflaky, so better not do that, eh?

Dear me, what to do? You obviously want to be seen as aggressively sleepin' (if there can be such a thing), but how are you going to do it? Well I suppose one way is to sail as close to the wind as you can without attracting too many moderation points. If you confine yourself to Left Hand Path DIR then only those who, like you, self-identify as LHP, will be able to respond to you. It's a kind of safe space for LHPs. But not personally self-identifying in this way, I have no idea whether the other LHP members are sleepin' or woke, so I can't advise whether this is likely to be helpful. Best of luck, anyway. :D