• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ignorance Doesn't Excuse Your Sin Sonny. Off to Hell You Go

Skwim

Veteran Member
In another thread one of the members said "A lot of sin is done out of ignorance."

Question: If what one does out of ignorance of its status as a sin, is it truly sinning? Wouldn't ignorance be a mitigating factor of sinning? Or does god go along with the legal principle of Ignorantia juris non excusa, ignorance of the law excuses not?

"Too bad you were unaware that foolish talking is a sin blabbermouth (Ephesians 5:4) Off to hell with you now."

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Nice thread :)

It isn't that ignorance is an excuse for the sin but I don't see how God would rationally condemn people for all eternity for something they didn't know.

Jesus made a lot of hyperboles, spoke in parable, and spoke symbolically. I simply don't know the correct interpretation to everything he said, so I give my opinion. I believe what Allan Kardec said the spirits told him. They told him that eventually every spirit will be perfected and purified. I could be wrong, but that is what I believe.

Thinking

In another thread one of the members said "A lot of sin is done out of ignorance."

Question: If what one does out of ignorance of its status as a sin, is it truly sinning? Wouldn't ignorance be a mitigating factor of sinning? Or does god go along with the legal principle of Ignorantia juris non excusa, ignorance of the law excuses not?

"Too bad you were unaware that foolish talking is a sin blabbermouth (Ephesians 5:4) Off to hell you go."

I think - to some point ignorance should be punished.

Imagine yourself going to court, because you hurt somebody. If you tell the judge "Sorry, I didn't know" you would still get sentenced. Recently I read a book in which this was written:

"You didn't know?"
- "Yes, I didn't know.".
"False. You didn't want to know!."

I think it exactly shows what I advocate. Only because people are ignoring and not taking things seriously it won't hold God back to judge them - except they are mentally not old enough to understand.

However, the question remains open, whether God will judge billions of people, because of their ignorance and lack of interest toward religion. I hope only to a certain point, because God would (according to my opinion) never punish anyone for an eternity.

Good night,

Thinking

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

"Too bad you were unaware that foolish talking is a sin blabbermouth (Ephesians 5:4) Off to hell with you now."

If i killed someone the judge isnt going to let me free on the spot just because i was insane or didnt know what i was doing. Consequences to our actions arent excused by our ignorance.

The problem is god isnt karma. Karma is just the law of cause and effect and it is the laws of nature that it drives. God makes choices intentionally, as so they say. So, id put spme wait on him that if a crime is commited let the consequrnce fit the crime. Hell doesnt cit gemporary sin especially when that sin can be repented but hell cannot.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It isn't that I ever believed the sin would be excused because of ignorance...I just don't believe the punishment will be eternal...if so...that's thoroughly disgusting Lord!

Reggie Miller

Ignorance is no good excuse. Claiming ignorance of God won't cut it:

Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Skwim

Veteran Member
If i killed someone the judge isnt going to let me free on the spot just because i was insane or didnt know what i was doing.
In law there is such a thing as the insanity defense where culpability can be mitigated by a mental disease that kept one from rationally controlling their conduct. And, it's highly unlikely a judge would set such a person free. Most likely they would be placed under supervision of some sort.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
In Hinduism ignorance is sin.
I find that very odd, and even a bit heartless. If I was never informed that X is a sin is that necessarily my fault? If I grew up never hearing of the god of Abraham and all his rules of conduct, should I be held liable for breaking them? It goes to the point of distinguishing culpability between minors and adults. We don't hold minors to the same standard of accountability as adults because we recognize they don't have the mental capacity for learning, understanding, and processing concepts. We make allowance for their deficits, and I think that ignorance of god's rules is just as much a deficit. It's like being given a note telling me to go down the road until I come to a T, and then turn so as to get to the beach. I get to the T, make my turn, but end up in a farm yard. Is it my fault that I didn't turn the other way?

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
I find that very odd, and even a bit heartless. If I was never informed that X is a sin is that necessarily my fault? If I grew up never hearing of the god of Abraham and all his rules of conduct, should I be held liable for breaking them? It goes to the point of distinguishing culpability between minors and adults. We don't hold minors to the same standard of accountability as adults because we recognize they don't have the mental capacity for learning, understanding, and processing concepts. We make allowance for their deficits, and I think that ignorance of god's rules is just as much a deficit. It's like being given a note telling me to go down the road until I come to a T, and then turn so as to get to the beach. I get to the T, make my turn, but end up in a farm yard. Is it my fault that I didn't turn the other way?

No literally, ignorance is the root of all sin and also suffering. In Hinduism (and Buddhism too, once you look at it) it is ignorance of ones true spiritual nature, that leads to the performance of sin. Sins are those activities does in the pursuit of ignorance. This is in stark contrast to the Abrahamic view that sin and piousness are like moral laws created by God.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In law there is such a thing as the insanity defense where culpability can be mitigated by a mental disease that kept one from rationally controlling their conduct. And, it's highly unlikely a judge would set such a person free. Most likely they would be placed under supervision of some sort.

They would still have consequrnces for their actions. Ignorance doesnt exuce that. Thats why "there isnt an excuse" to know god. Chrjstians saybonce you heard of him, your ignorance to hiis existence doesnt mean he doesnt exist.

Questioning christian logic is, well, isnt moral. But its logical.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe all sins are forgivable if the person has received Jesus as Lord and Savior and everyone has heard by now that they need to do that.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Nice thread :)

It isn't that ignorance is an excuse for the sin but I don't see how God would rationally condemn people for all eternity for something they didn't know.

Jesus made a lot of hyperboles, spoke in parable, and spoke symbolically. I simply don't know the correct interpretation to everything he said, so I give my opinion. I believe what Allan Kardec said the spirits told him. They told him that eventually every spirit will be perfected and purified. I could be wrong, but that is what I believe.
I believe that only is true for those who want it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Ignorance is no good excuse. Claiming ignorance of God won't cut it:

Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

I believe my wife is a case in point. She isn't real sure there is a God but she has given her life to Jesus anyway. In her ignorance she sins and pays for those sins but I believe having Jesus as Lord and Savior will get her into the Kingdom of God.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I believe all sins are forgivable if the person has received Jesus as Lord and Savior and everyone has heard by now that they need to do that.
Nice for those with the knowledge of what constitutes a sin and what it takes to be forgiven, but there have been millions upon millions who have been ignorant of the "sin status" of certain acts, and what it takes to fix them, which, in part, is the point of my OP.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
how much ignorance excuses a sin depends also on whether or not the person willfully chose to be ignorant...
here's an interesting verse to reflect on:
John 15:22
If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin" -Christ

QuestioningMind

I believe my wife is a case in point. She isn't real sure there is a God but she has given her life to Jesus anyway. In her ignorance she sins and pays for those sins but I believe having Jesus as Lord and Savior will get her into the Kingdom of God.

How does that work, exactly? How can someone 'give their life' to someone that they don't genuinely believes exists? It's always baffled me when Christians tell me that all I have to do is set my doubts aside and just believe is Jesus Christ. Are there people out there that are actually capable of sincerely believing in something that they have absolutely no evidence for?