• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If your spouse was Quadriplegic

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If your spouse got hit by a drunk driver and became paralyzed from the neck down, would you care for him/her. I can't imagine what it would be like for either person in such a scenario.

What if they were prescribed morphine or some feel good medicine, and they asked you to inject them with enough to euthanize them? Would you consider comfortably putting them down with feel good chemicals if there was no legal trouble for it?

That's what I would want done with me if I was quadriplegic. Jesus teaches that we should do for others what we would want done for ourselves.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I had a friend in high school who broke his neck and became quadriplegic. It was so sad to see him in the hospital with a Halo screwed into his skull unable to move or feel anything below the neck.

I really wish euthanasia would have been offered to him. That is one area that myself and the Catholic Church differ on morals.

Elliott5779

I had a friend in high school who broke his neck and became quadriplegic. It was so sad to see him in the hospital with a Halo screwed into his skull unable to move or feel anything below the neck.

I really wish euthanasia would have been offered to him. That is one area that myself and the Catholic Church differ on morals.

That is tough. i know for me as long as my brain is still running and i can still learn i would want to live. As for my spouse, i certainly would care for her. If she wanted to be euthanized, i don't think i could answer that till i'm in the moment... that's tough either way.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I would help kill em. If they really wanted to die, or I would take them to a country where it was legal to euthanize.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Hard to say unless one is actually in that situation.

I personally have not been. Most of mine were paralyzed from the neck up.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
If your spouse got hit by a drunk driver and became paralyzed from the neck down, would you care for him/her. I can't imagine what it would be like for either person in such a scenario.

What if they were prescribed morphine or some feel good medicine, and they asked you to inject them with enough to euthanize them? Would you consider comfortably putting them down with feel good chemicals if there was no legal trouble for it?

That's what I would want done with me if I was quadriplegic. Jesus teaches that we should do for others what we would want done for ourselves.

Very good question and pertinent to the quality of who we are as lovers. Just as Jesus teach us that we need to care for others, MUHAMMAD has also stated (indirectly in hadith) our actions and deeds must emulate what God has done for us. So yes I would care for my love as I hope she would for me but God knows when I cared for my mom I died everyday and til this day I wish it was my life and not hers that was taken so it would be difficult for me mentally to care for someone I love that was in that position.

Jumi

If anyone close to me was paraplegic I would spend a lot of time with them.

In case of euthanasia you wouldn't be the one doing it, but it would be a trip to Switzerland if their life was complete hell.

I've never been quadriplegic so I don't know what it's like.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I can. One of my brothers faced that situation (car accident) till the death of his wife (some seven years or so). What can one do if a wife of 50 years (or husband or parents) gets immobilized. It sure is a very sapping situation and perhaps the person will require help and would not be able to do it alone, but it has to be done. A Hindu marriage still continues irrespective of all such mishaps. I would do it for my wife and she would do it for me if need be. No question, no brainer, it will be the partners duty (dharma). I support euthanasia in extreme cases.

Last edited: