• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Your Spouse Is Abusive, Is It OK To Cheat?

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Given the wide range of circumstances and intense and sensitive nature of this topic, I think it's safe to say there is no one right answer. We can't understand the motives or behaviors of others without fully understanding all the factors. And even then, we aren't fantastic judges.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Given the wide range of circumstances and intense and sensitive nature of this topic, I think it's safe to say there is no one right answer. We can't understand the motives or behaviors of others without fully understanding all the factors. And even then, we aren't fantastic judges.

Songbird I agree

TurkeyOnRye

My question is why someone would want to get into another relationship while in the midst of leaving an abusive one. I don't think it's wrong, but probably unwise to complicate things like that.

blackout

Violet.
I'm not accusing you of anything, UV. You have your own life to live, and your own children to answer to at some point, if not already, If you feel that their needs are best met by sharing a house with this man, that's your call. I don't know enough about what your alternatives are or what your situation is to judge it, and even if I did, it wouldn't be my place unless you asked me for help - or unless your children were in imminent danger.

I don't "answer to" my children.

I share life with them.
They already know what's up.

Their needs are best met
by my handling this in an orderly, legal fashion.
As I am.

... and in the meantime
I am my only sexual partner.

It's true.
I am having an affair with mySelf. :flirt:

So sue me. :shrug:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Children and lack of finances
can make anything but an "in home" separation impossible.

Unfortunately "in home" separations are not so clear cut
to the rest of the 'outside' world.
:(

I understand. :yes: :foryou:

I wouldn't care about how the outside world thinks. I would mainly be concerned for my own safety and the safety of my children. Y'all know how I feel about societal convention. ;)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

I share life with them.

Their needs are best met
As I am.

... and in the meantime

It's true.

Girlfriend, love you bunches, you know. :hugehug:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

I share life with them.

Their needs are best met
As I am.

... and in the meantime

It's true.

Like I said, it's not for me to judge. So I won't sue you. ;)

But as for answering to your children - you may choose not to do so, but as they mature into adulthood, that mindset won't stop them from confronting you about your life choices and questioning the decisions you've made which have profoundly affected their lives. Do you really think that it won't be their right to expect answers from you when your choices affect them?

I'm not saying that you're NOT making the best possible choices for them - for all I know, you may very well be doing just that. But that's not my point. My point is that as children become adults, they realize that their parents had many choices, and MADE many choices, which have limited their options in many ways. They WILL expect answers, and I believe we have an obligation to give them answers. Not excuses - answers.

I remember very clearly the exact moment I knew that I had to leave - I mean LEAVE - my childrens' father. This exact thought pierced my brain:

"Oh my God. If I don't get out of here with these kids, my daughters may grow up and marry someone like him, and my boys may grow up to BE like him - and I don't know which is worse."

I wanted my kids to know and expect more from relationships than that strained, stressed, abusive, repressive relationship showed them.

As they've become adults, and made their own choices (some good, some bad) my kids have each gone through a period of anger and resentment toward their father and toward me. He continues to refuse to acknowledge the depth of his problems, but personally I've felt that I owe my children some honest answers - not excuses - and I've given them those answers. They relate to me more now as a loved life companion rather than the "MOTHER who messed up their lives" but for awhile, with each of them, our relationship was dicey -because my poor choices DID limit their options and affect them in ways that they DID NOT ASK FOR OR DESERVE.

I can't go back and change those years of their childhood. Those years are irretrievably gone. We each have one childhood, and the quality of that experience is under our parents' control, not our own. I believe that as parents, we DO answer to our children eventually, if we make choices which diminish the quality of their formative years.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
Katherine,

I don't "answer to people".

I simply tell them what's up,
and what's going down.

I answer only to my own Self.

I am honest with my own Self,
and my Children
each and every day.
As they mature, the depths of our conversations increase.
This is the seasonal growth of relationship
with the Ones you love.
Hopefully we are all ever growing
and continually Self Realizing.

This is what it means, to share life with your beloved.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It's your thang, do what you wanna do. Personally, I believe that when our decisions impact others, we DO answer to them to some extent.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
Now, the very last thing I am going to say in this thread
is,

It is IMPOSSIBLE to 'cheat', on someone who is abusing you.

Someone harasses and abuses you? All bets are off.
You as a person, a human being...
owe them nothing at all.

My statement stands,
no matter what else you may have to say
about safety and all that.
That is a seperate issue entirely.

I shall repeat.
It is IMPOSSIBLE to 'cheat' on someone who is abusing you.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Now, the very last thing I am going to say in this thread
is,

It is IMPOSSIBLE to 'cheat', on someone who is abusing you.

Someone harasses and abuses you? All bets are off.
You as a person, a human being...
owe them nothing at all.

My statement stands,
no matter what else you may have to say
about safety and all that.
That is a seperate issue entirely.

I shall repeat.

I agree.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Here's a tough question for you:

If your spouse abuses you and/or your children, are you still bound by your marriage vows? Specifically:

(1) Must you still keep your spouse forever? Why or why not?

(2) Must you still forgo all others besides your spouse? Why or why not?

(3) When does a marriage end? When are the vows null and void? When one partner (i.e. the abusive spouse) first breaks the marriage vows, or marriage contract, by abusing the other partner and/or the kids, or does it end only when a court of law says it ends? Why?

And, to make this interesting, please keep in mind while answering the questions that life is seldom black and white. In other words, a manipulative, abusive partner might also be a good provider, for instance, just as a manipulated, abused spouse is unlikely to be lily white, either.

Not ever having been married myself, people might be justified in telling me i don’t know what im talking about. Those people can shut up. :p

Right this is how i see it. First concept is that all the rules and regulations and labels and technicalities of marriage are superficial, at least in a moral sense. The relationship one has with another extends much deeper, and discussions about right and wrongdoing with respects to this symbiotic state, really doesn’t depend on those technicalities. What a piece of paper says, for me, seems to somewhat miss what is important and relevant here.

A second point is that of free will. Are we rational beings or are we emotional slaves? Do we rise above our animal siblings, with clear, cold, cerebral thinking, or are we glorified hind-brain bound to seeking pleasure and avoiding pain. To what end are we the masters of our own existence?

Being undoubtedly a thrilling and impossibly difficult subject, i would never the less propose that we are of course both, and in the same way both space and time are so inherently interwoven into the fabric of reality, so are these 2 aspects of mind in creating the fabric of ourselves.

John Gottman, a well known psychologist interested in marital stability claimed to be able to predict, with 95% accuracy, whether couples would be broken up after about 15 years, based on a 1hour interview with them both.
The interviews were constructed so that the pair were asked seemingly benign and innocent questions about everyday life, but at the end, video footage was meticulously analysed for subtle signs, both vocal and bodily from each of them. To quickly summarise a life’s work, he decided that 4 major criteria leading to a breakup were; the presence of defensiveness, stonewalling, criticism and contempt, with the latter being most powerful.

One can look into it further if interested or feather ruffled, but i think it at least highlights a likely subconscious element to a relationship that is often and understandably overlooked by the people involved. None of the newlyweds showed any signs of breaking up in their views, but at some level there was something brewing already.

Now abuse, i think is an interesting term as well. What might constitute abuse? Is hitting your partner abusive? clearly yes, how about constant criticism? yes, that would seem abusive too. What about a subtle level of contempt, so subtle the partner is unaware, bar some subconscious signs of defensiveness? well that’s more difficult. Does one day of it constitute abuse? a week? 10 years? does it add up? Is the prior to blame for his/her contempt? Maybe this is just 'life'. Maybe 'abuse' reserved for those acute, blatant episodes of disruption.

I do think cheating is wrong, something everyone can agree on. It is the breaking of that trust and deep companionship you have with another. Your empathy with them, so strong by definition, that for you to do it to them knowingly, would be morally criminal.

If the question is, what level of abuse might equal the moral weight of cheating, then i think we have it a bit wrong. Clearly the complexity of real life makes such a calculation both impractical and pretty impossible, and somewhat silly.

I think though, in those clearly abusive situations, the conscious mistreatment of another renders you somewhat void of the privilege of reciprocal love. i think that there are situations that one person may be inadvertently or indirectly abusive to a partner, due to, for example some life tragedy, with some responsibility of the other to help them through the trouble. Even if it is overwhelming, and relationship terminating in nature, i don’t think it gives the other a green light to cheat. It would represent a disregard for the partner’s emotions, ill driven by a recoil reflex to the presence of the percieved abuse.

i think in summary, the very meaning of cheating, and what makes it so wrong is the context, the relationship, and its ramifications on the significant other, something by the very definition of the relationship itself, should be known by the person in question. 2 people who have grown apart, but may share a technical bond such as a marriage is not the same, and both might be morally free to emotionally engage with other people.

Alex

outhouse

Atheistically

Ticked off husband/wife with a smoking gun in their hand standing over their wife/husbands body probably thought differently.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Ticked off husband/wife with a smoking gun in their hand standing over their wife/husbands body probably thought differently.

You think it's cheating just because someone with a gun says it's cheating. If I point my browning at you, are you going to think in your heart of hearts what I tell you to think? Personally, I doubt anyone is that weak minded.

And that's the last I'm going to say in this thread.

Last edited: