• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

if your girlfriend/wife contacts her ex-boyfriends, and inverse

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
maybe you don't get it

this is may good exemple just to understand me :

If i John is swear to you and insult you (without reason), and you had the choices how your respond him by fight him or discuss him or let it go (ignore him)

John : is media

provoke : is influence on you

you : the chooser .(reciever)

respond(fight hims, ignore him) : that your hell of scenarios that i talking about :D
Art is supposed to provoke emotion. That's it's job. Your job as the audience is to interpret.
If that very broad definition is what you consider to be influence then you may as well advocate for us to never leave our room and never interact with people.
Everything influences you using that definition. The ****ing weather influences people based on that definition alone!!
Let's suppose someone sends you a postcard of their travels. You have these options of responding. You can either be happy for them or jealous of their treat.
Are postcards now influential?

Now if John swears at me I would merely laugh it off and continue my day unscathed. Mainly because I swear like a ****ing sailor to begin with and working in retail has built up my tolerance of insults just by default.
So now what? Are you saying we are nothing but mindless drones completely at the mercy of the media? I say there's more to our influences than just media. Parents, friends, culture and even society at large to a certain extent. But even still your choices are your choices. No one else's.
I reiterate influence is not the same as control.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Art is supposed to provoke emotion. That's it's job. Your job as the audience is to interpret.
If that very broad definition is what you consider to be influence then you may as well advocate for us to never leave our room and never interact with people.
Everything influences you using that definition. The ****ing weather influences people based on that definition alone!!

Now if John swears at me I would merely laugh it off and continue my day unscathed. Mainly because I swear like a ****ing sailor to begin with and working in retail has built up my tolerance of insults just by default.
So now what? Are you saying we are nothing but mindless drones completely at the mercy of the media? I say there's more to our influences than just media. Parents, friends, culture and even society at large to a certain extent. But even still your choices are your choices. No one else's.
I reiterate influence is not the same as control.
indeed the media had big huge influence on (us) people , but i am not sure if we are completely at the mercy of media , in both sides (negative,positive) messages .

i repeat my exemple :
since the West and Muslim countries punish for the ISIS media , so the media message could influence on people .

http://listverse.com/2013/11/04/10-movies-that-inspired-real-life-crimes/

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
indeed the media had big huge influence on (us) people , but i am not sure if we are completely at the mercy of media , in both sides (negative,positive) messages .

i repeat my exemple :
since the West and Muslim countries punish for the ISIS media , so the media message could influence on people .

http://listverse.com/2013/11/04/10-movies-that-inspired-real-life-crimes/
Isis media? You mean those ******** who destroyed priceless antiquities because they were "idols" and who release videos of beheadings using a knife?
I'd wager that their so called media is nothing but threatening propaganda. Even still there's most likely a documentary or two available that explores their side of the story.
We don't punish their media at all. Even if we did it wouldn't be because of its potential influence or whatever. We look at those barbaric thugs and say we're not interested in what they have to say. Just like we ignore nazi propaganda (except in academic fields.) It's just ugly lies made by terrorists.
You're free to look into their "media" if you like.
Are they influential? I suppose much like most cult leaders. Sure.

The media as a whole is not a cult though.

Also movies don't make criminals, they may make them more creative. Those criminals in your citation would be criminals regardless. I mean what media inspired Bonnie and Clyde of the 1930s to become bank robbers precisely? What media did the untouchables of the prohibition era copy when they decided to make money off of illegal alcohol during the 1920s? Hell during Ancient Rome Nero lit Christians on fire like human candles. Do pray tell what specific media inspired him to do that? Philosophy? Poems?
We've always had an element in humanity who are cruel ********. They can certainly get creative ideas from others. But their ****ty actions aren't reliant on them.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Isis media? You mean those ******** who destroyed priceless antiquities because they were "idols" and who release videos of beheadings using a knife?
I'd wager that their so called media is nothing but threatening propaganda. Even still there's most likely a documentary or two available that explores their side of the story.
We don't punish their media at all. Even if we did it wouldn't be because of its potential influence or whatever. We look at those barbaric thugs and say we're not interested in what they have to say. Just like we ignore nazi propaganda (except in academic fields.) It's just ugly lies made by terrorists.
You're free to look into their "media" if you like.
Are they influential? I suppose much like most cult leaders. Sure.
The media as a whole is not a cult though.
I mean by ISIS media , is their websites and videos . which encourage the voilence . how to make a remote bomb ...etc

Also movies don't make criminals, they may make them more creative. Those criminals in your citation would be criminals regardless. I mean what media inspired Bonnie and Clyde of the 1930s to become bank robbers precisely? What media did the untouchables of the prohibition era copy when they decided to make money off of illegal alcohol during the 1920s? Hell during Ancient Rome Nero lit Christians on fire like human candles. Do pray tell what specific media inspired him to do that? Philosophy? Poems?
We've always had an element in humanity who are cruel ********. They can certainly get creative ideas from others. But their ****ty actions aren't reliant on them.
again , it's for sure influence badly on personality of some people , to be criminal or be good anything else that personal choice .

demotivation.us_Feeling-Lonely-Watch-a-horror-movie_131757834867.jpg

do you deny that media sometimes inspired the criminals ,as the site that i posted said ?

Godobeyer

Premium Member
No. But saying that it's 'media's fault' is misleading.
that depend on message of media

I remember that i chat with an American , about how American movies shows the Mexicans and latinas, as bad people (drug trader, prostitutes,....) .

he said it's just stereotype , and that not true , and he is sorry about that .

Deidre

If I wish to talk to my ex bf's MORE than my current one, then why did I break up with them? :D
I'm friends with two exes, but not most. Mainly because I used to date jerks, and I have no desire to keep jerks around as 'friends.'

I'm wary of exes who treat you bad when you dated them, but keep after you to be 'friends.' But that's just me.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
If I wish to talk to my ex bf's MORE than my current one, then why did I break up with them? :D
I'm friends with two exes, but not most. Mainly because I used to date jerks, and I have no desire to keep jerks around as 'friends.'

I'm wary of exes who treat you bad when you dated them, but keep after you to be 'friends.' But that's just me.
did they jealous ? , how about you are you jealous if you find your boyfriend in relate with his ex ?

Deidre

did they jealous ? , how about you are you jealous if you find your boyfriend in relate with his ex ?

Jealousy is a close cousin of fear. Now, if someone is 'trying' to make you jealous, that's different. But, if you have a tendency to be jealous, it is because you fear something. And that's an indicator that you need to figure out yourself, more than put it on the other person.

Kirran

Premium Member
Jealousy is a close cousin of fear. Now, if someone is 'trying' to make you jealous, that's different. But, if you have a tendency to be jealous, it is because you fear something. And that's an indicator that you need to figure out yourself, more than put it on the other person.

Deidre, you just say some wonderfully insightful things in such a concise and clear manner.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I mean by ISIS media , is their websites and videos . which encourage the voilence . how to make a remote bomb ...etc

again , it's for sure influence badly on personality of some people , to be criminal or be good anything else that personal choice .

demotivation.us_Feeling-Lonely-Watch-a-horror-movie_131757834867.jpg

do you deny that media sometimes inspired the criminals ,as the site that i posted said ?

Oh you mean inciting violence. Which is often classified as hate speech. That's illegal mainly because of past actions like the KKK rallying up racist people and causing civil unrest at their little protests.
Watching media on how to make a bomb is a good way to get noticed by the already jumpy police force due to their increased fear of potential terrorists. Not sure that influences people though as those prone to such actions seek out such things not the other way around.

Maybe misfit loner angry teenagers. But it all depends.

Media does not create criminals. Criminals are psychopaths, sociopaths or created due to violent/poverty in their upbringing. In other words they are often created by the environment they are raised in (though psychopaths and sociopaths are still a matter of intrigue as to what creates them. Nature or nurture.)

Media can give criminals ideas about how to complete a crime they were already planning. In that sense sure you can say they're inspired. But I don't buy the whole "the media made me do this" crap. Personal responsibility remember?

Kirran

Premium Member
Absolutely. The media can be an enabler. And it can encourage. But short of ISIS-esque propaganda it can't force you to do anything.

Likewise, if someone is homophobic and says it's because of their religion, that doesn't absolve them. That bigotry is still on the individual.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Oh you mean inciting violence. Which is often classified as hate speech. That's illegal mainly because of past actions like the KKK rallying up racist people and causing civil unrest at their little protests.
Watching media on how to make a bomb is a good way to get noticed by the already jumpy police force due to their increased fear of potential terrorists. Not sure that influences people though as those prone to such actions seek out such things not the other way around.

Maybe misfit loner angry teenagers. But it all depends.

Media does not create criminals. Criminals are psychopaths, sociopaths or created due to violent/poverty in their upbringing. In other words they are often created by the environment they are raised in (though psychopaths and sociopaths are still a matter of intrigue as to what creates them. Nature or nurture.)

Media can give criminals ideas about how to complete a crime they were already planning. In that sense sure you can say they're inspired. But I don't buy the whole "the media made me do this" crap. Personal responsibility remember?
see ? so the media content had repsonsibility of speech of hate ?

WHY you think the media , it's not responsible for all it's messages especially "immoral"?

as i understand KKK speech was legal,recently it's classify illegal ?
So it's though changed and law of media changed .

Kirran

Premium Member
see ? so the media content had repsonsibility of speech of hate ?

WHY you think the media , it's not responsible for all it's messages especially "immoral"?

as i understand KKK speech was legal,recently it's classify illegal ?
So it's though changed and law of media changed .

You continue to confuse media and propaganda. Media doesn't advocate per se.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
You continue to confuse media and propaganda. Media doesn't advocate per se.
you seems you represent me that I equal whole media as bad content ?

I am free in my opinion ,at least i posted , the seekers Youtube document which support my view .

what evidences you have deny mine ?

Kirran

Premium Member
you seems you represent me that I equal whole media as bad content ?

I am free in my opinion ,at least i posted , the seekers Youtube document which support my view .

what evidences you have deny mine ?

No, I'm correcting your understanding of these English words.