• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If your deity asked you to kill your child, would you do it?

If your deity asked you to kill your child would you do it?

• Yes

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • I do not believe in a deity.

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

use_your_brain

It is a hypothetical question. In this question, yes, he does ask and the OP is asking would we follow though with it.

In Christian scripture, God does. Im not familar with the Quran if that is where you are refering to.

Outside scripture, I dont see the logic of how killing pleases god.

how xxxxx pleases God?
Because it is what the God orders. Replace xxxxx with any type of words.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
That is why killing is wrong. The person who killed is the one who suffers. Many reasons why killing is wrong. Its just contradictory to The Buddha's purpose...to save lives not take them.
Those people, who destroy an evil doer, without any attachment, not thinking of a reward, will not suffer bad karma. Battle in war is conflict, but you must defend yourself.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
what do you mean without instructions? Isn't commandment is an instruction?

No. Its a command. Its what god wants you to do. Instructions tell you how he wants you to do it.

Since he gives the command "kill your five year old child" and doesnt tell you how (no instructions) in doing so,

what method would you choose? (how would you slay him? Would you tell him first if he understood?)

use_your_brain

No. Its a command. Its what god wants you to do. Instructions tell you how he wants you to do it.

Since he gives the command "kill your five year old child" and doesnt tell you how (no instructions) in doing so,

what method would you choose? (how would you slay him? Would you tell him first if he understood?)

Then I would obey Him. What method would I choose? I don't know. maybe slaughtering by knife, by bomb, gun or what ever available.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Those people, who destroy an evil doer, without any attachment, not thinking of a reward, will not suffer bad karma. Battle in war is conflict, but you must defend yourself.

I see all killing as wrong. War, defense, legal, illegal does not change that morals. Necessity doesnt change morals. At least not mine. If The Buddha was torn between giving up his life or anothers by force, he would his own life. Im sure he would never be in a war and I dont know how he would condut himself if he were drafted. The only killing I can see The Buddha doing is self defense because that is by instinct. Id also say his karma would be affected but by making good merit, he would gain it back.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Okay, I will answer for myself now.

My Goddess is amoral and is known to enjoy offerings of flesh and blood (whether human or animal). There are multiple recorded instances of child sacrifice to Kali in India every year and it's been going on for centuries. It's not my thing, personally, and it's not required in Her worship (like with blood offerings being a requirement in the worship of the Aztec Gods), but I recognize that it is a part of my religious tradition and I'm not going to act all ashamed over it. It just is. So Her demanding something like that isn't beyond Her (nothing is). I'd much prefer to offer my own blood and don't feel like going to jail, though. If She asked me to kill my child, I'd have to decline because, like I said, I don't feel like going to jail. Lol. She could kill me instead, though.

I answered "yes" to the poll, just because. Lol.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not really good. Killing is not always the good/bad thing. However, under God's instruction it is the correct action, instead of good action. So the best term should be : correct.

When it comes to morals, how can something correct not be good? Isnt god the source of both? He can order bad things as long as its correct it is alright?

Its not adding up.

Its like telling my imaginary six year old son, "mommy has to kill you because god says so."

"but ma, dont you love me?"

"I love you but I love god more"

and the mother chops of her son's head with a smile on her face. Raising her child's head to god, saying "her lord, i obeyed you' Now I can live forever in heaen'"

God looks at the mother, "you did well."

To some of us, we see this as horrific that god would congradulate you with heaven by the murder of your child.

I think thats the OPs point.