• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If your deity asked you to kill your child, would you do it?

If your deity asked you to kill your child would you do it?

• Yes

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • I do not believe in a deity.

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
There was a judge that promised to sacrifice the first thing he saw at his door (home) if God gave him the victory over Ammon. The first thing he saw was his daughter so he sacrificed her. God accepted this offering without issue. Although not a commandment in direct support it does show that this God figure had no issues with killing one's children
Which religious myth is this from?

gnostic

The Lost One
I would tell this god to "Go frig yourself in hell!"

But that if "hell"...or this "deity"...exist.

If the deity don't exist, then I would chalk it up that anyone who listening to this imaginary command from imaginary voice - to be seriously and dangerously deluded.

If this deity do exist, then I would say this "God is evil bloody son of a bit@#!"

Last edited:

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I guess I didn't clearly express myself when I said; "Other than the Book of JOB, what other religion asks you to kill your child?"
The tale of Jephthah's daughter is part of the Abrahamic / Christian faith . . . other than this book and religion, what other religion / text directs us to kill our child?
Many religions direct their adherents to kill others children, but I know of none directing the murder on one's own child other than the Christian religion.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I guess I didn't clearly express myself when I said; "Other than the Book of JOB, what other religion asks you to kill your child?"
The tale of Jephthah's daughter is part of the Abrahamic / Christian faith . . . other than this book and religion, what other religion / text directs us to kill our child?
Many religions direct their adherents to kill others children, but I know of none directing the murder on one's own child other than the Christian religion.
the word Christian came into being AFTER the death of Jesus
Christians seem to think His dying effort is the only one that matters

how then are Christians killing their children?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
the word Christian came into being AFTER the death of Jesus
Christians seem to think His dying effort is the only one that matters

how then are Christians killing their children?
Well, we just gave you two examples from their scripture
1 Book of JOB
2 Book of JUDGES

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Judges is in the Christian bible . . . and it was never a 'practice' per se, it was a directive from the Almighty Himself.
that an old text is still held .....is not indicative of the current practice.

no one is killing their children for God....

have you an account otherwise?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't think so.....and no.....
I would not kill if some disembodied Voice said go do it.

having said so....
I can imagine what it would be like several thousand years ago and dogma as a prevailing drive.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Yes, but not out of a sense of blind obedience, as I perceive your question presupposes. I'm thinking more of end-of-life issues and humane euthenasia for the terminally-ill. I don't believe "God asks us to kill people." But I do believe that our lives are in God and are God, and that sometimes release and letting go are good things.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Yes, but not out of a sense of blind obedience, as I perceive your question presupposes. I'm thinking more of end-of-life issues and humane euthenasia for the terminally-ill. I don't believe "God asks us to kill people." But I do believe that our lives are in God and are God, and that sometimes release and letting go are good things.

I do not know why so many people have difficulty grasping this is a hypothetical situation.