1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you would consider having an abortion (or consider wanting your wife/girlfriend to have one) why?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by justbehappy, Mar 7, 2010.

1. justbehappy

justbehappy Active Member

Ratings:
    +13
    It's always talked about on a pro-life or pro-choice basis, but I'd like to know what people think about it for them personally. Would you consider an abortion?

2. Storm

Storm ThrUU the Looking Glass

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    UU/ panentheist/ neopagan/ process theology
    I might, depending on the circumstances.

3. enchanted_one1975

enchanted_one1975 Resident Lycanthrope

Ratings:
    +2,045
    Never :no:

Oh, and welcome to RF! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    Post-Anarchism Austin, TX
    If I got a girl pregnant? Yes, I would ask for financial help to abort the baby. I am not fit to raise a kid, especially at this point in time, and this society is not fit for the appropriate raising of a child.

5. enchanted_one1975

enchanted_one1975 Resident Lycanthrope

Ratings:
    +2,045
    There are so many people that want a child and are unable to have one. Why not let your "mistake" be someone else's blessing?

6. Madhuri

Madhuri RF Goddess
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,186
    Religion:
    Bhagavad Gita - SD
    I would not unless going through with the pregnancy was dangerous to me and/or the baby. I mean fatally dangerous. But otherwise I could not because despite being underdeveloped it is still a living human and still my child.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Erebus

Erebus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,556
    Religion:
    Pagan
    I'm not sure.

I detest children, but this would be my child. I honestly couldn't answer that until it came down to it.

8. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    Post-Anarchism Austin, TX
    Because there is already 20k other starving children a day who need a home. The 'child pool' doesn't need new children.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gentoo

Gentoo The Feisty Penguin

Ratings:
    +1,129
    Yes. My reasons are my own.

10. AxisMundi

AxisMundi E Pluribus Unum!!!

Ratings:
    +109
    While it is almost impossible to state unequivicably either way, I am very much pro-life on a personal level.

Then again I am a guy and don't plan on becoming pregnant anytime soon. :D

11. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,382
    Religion:
    Mystics
    Only if doctors were sure that the child couldn't survive childbirth.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KatNotKathy

KatNotKathy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +132
    If it doesn't have a functioning brain yet, then yeah, I see no problem with doing so.

Then again I just so happen to be sterile so...

13. ShakeZula

ShakeZula The Master Shake

Ratings:
    +14
    It's an option on the table. If a child is not wanted, nor could it be properly cared for, then it's fine with me. If adoption is put forward, we'll talk about that option to. The whole point is that we have the choice to decide for ourselves, we don't have to bow to a religious belief that we don't adhere to.

-S-

14. Alceste

Alceste Vagabond

Ratings:
    +2,886
    When I was in my twenties, absolutely. Now, absolutely not. I wasn't ready then, I'm ready now. Although now I'm not sure I want to make more kids at all. I'd adopt loads of kids if my circumstances allowed it, but I don't think the world needs me to make more people.

15. footprints

footprints Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +57
    On a personal level I am totally against abortion unless it is due to negative circumstances such as rape or a choice between mother and child. This though doesn't pertain to religious reasons, it pertains to mental health issues and educational issues, of those who have abortions otherwise. It must be always remembered that the Pro-Choice movements total objective was to abolish abortions, not to keep them as a life long choice. Education was seen as the key to this, education has clearly failed, and it has failed due to mental health reasons.

Whilst working for mental health, abortion was always an option I gave to girls, women, and couples in times of need. For most part, this was due to many reasons, too young to do the unborn any good anyhow, and they really didn't need the stigma attached to be a pregnant teenager without decent support. At times it may be due to financial problems, another child would have ripped the family apart. For some it was just a night of fun which turned into a nightmare. For others it was their education which would suffer.

In our society abortion has its place. One day in society, hopefully abortion will not have any place.

16. fantome profane

fantome profane Have you read the Whistleblower complaint?
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,866
    I like this approach to the issue.

My personal answer is no, unless there is a serious health risk (physical or mental health) to the mother I would not want to see my child aborted. If I got a woman pregnant I would encourage (not coerce) her to have the child. I am very much pro-choice, but I can be strongly pro-choice and be of the opinion that one of those choices is (usually) better than the other.

17. ShakeZula

ShakeZula The Master Shake

Ratings:
    +14
    This.

It's doesn't matter that the choice is not for everyone, it's that everyone is allowed to make the choice to begin with.

-S-

18. Revasser

Revasser Terrible Dancer

Ratings:
    +326
    Religion:
    If by some bizarre turn of circumstance I found myself having been involved in the conception of a child, I would absolutely support my female partner in crime if she chose to have an abortion. I would even argue in favour of it. Since I am neither financially nor psychologically prepared for parenthood - and presumably she would also be in a similar situation - , it would be the responsible thing to do.

There are enough people having kids in this world who unprepared and unfit to do so, I would prefer not to be one of them.

19. Madhuri

Madhuri RF Goddess
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,186
    Religion:
    Bhagavad Gita - SD
    I feel sorry for men who don't have a say in what the woman does. I'm glad to be a female in this regard.

20. footprints

footprints Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +57
    That is an admirable position. Albeit in that scenario, better late than never to be responsible. It is always good practice to be responsible right from the beginning and practice safe sex from the start, that way a responsible choice doesn't need to be made from an irresponsible beginning.

There are many irresponsible people in the world, albeit through irresponsiblity, some learn responsibility. Many people have to learn the hard way.