• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were God...

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If you were God…

1) How would you make salvation work? (assuming you'd make this necessary)
2) How would you reveal yourself to humankind? If at all?
3) How would you end the world? (assuming you want to at some point)

My answers:

For me I’d do salvation by audit - as opposed to purely by faith or by good works. I’d add all the person’t bad deeds up and all their good ones and would grant them salvation (or damnation) according to how they balanced out. I would forensically examine every aspect of their life’s conduct, looking at their motivations and courage etc., considering the aggravating and mitigating circumstances of their sins so as to judge their true character - which is what I would judge them on.

When it comes to revealing myself I’d make some big interventions early on in humanity’s history so they would be aware that I exist and would then go quiet. But would perhaps engineer the odd miracle here and there to give faith a boost as I’d like people to have faith in me but would also want them to use their critical faculties. But what with psychosis and human madness being things this probably wouldn’t be necessary, people would probably be able to have religious experiences of me without me being involved!

How would I end the world? Like the account given in the Book of Revelation. I'd want the end of the world to be spectacular and shocking and I think it would add to the spectacle and shock if the events in the Book of Revelation actually happened, as people would be familiar with what happened so would try to guess what would happen next. If you're going to end the world you may as well make it an interesting and memorable experience for everyone and I think making it happen Revelation style would do this. Especially if events are drawn out over a number of years.

Jumi

If you were God…

1) What need would salvation have? I think such a need is specific to some religions, but not really for others.
1&2&3) If I was God, I wouldn't be thinking in a human sense. Therefore any such motivations for doing would not exist.

nPeace

Veteran Member
If you were God…

My answers:

For me I’d do salvation by audit - as opposed to purely by faith or by good works. I’d add all the person’t bad deeds up and all their good ones and would grant them salvation (or damnation) according to how they balanced out. I would forensically examine every aspect of their life’s conduct, looking at their motivations and courage etc., considering the aggravating and mitigating circumstances of their sins so as to judge their true character - which is what I would judge them on.

When it comes to revealing myself I’d make some big interventions early on in humanity’s history so they would be aware that I exist and would then go quiet. But would perhaps engineer the odd miracle here and there to give faith a boost as I’d like people to have faith in me but would also want them to use their critical faculties. But what with psychosis and human madness being things this probably wouldn’t be necessary, people would probably be able to have religious experiences of me without me being involved!

How would I end the world? Like the account given in the Book of Revelation. I'd want the end of the world to be spectacular and shocking and I think it would add to the spectacle and shock if the events in the Book of Revelation actually happened, as people would be familiar with what happened so would try to guess what would happen next. If you're going to end the world you may as well make it an interesting and memorable experience for everyone and I think making it happen Revelation style would do this. Especially if events are drawn out over a number of years.
Of course you would. You're human.
I could think of no other ideas, except those that stem from human wisdom. :D

HonestJoe

If you were God…
To be honest, all those big picture questions sound like too much hassle. I’d be the kind of god who lazes around in my mountain-top palace eating ambrosia, creating weird magical artefacts and seducing mortal women by turning in to animals or showers of gold (not a metaphor apparently). :cool:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you were God…

My answers:

1. salvation would just be another word for: getting your life straight. It's ongoing process and progress of self growth.

2. Everything. It would depend on the person how he wants to recognize gratefulness in himself. It's all done by the person.

3. death

Altfish

Veteran Member
I don't think it is necessary but people who lead on the balance a good life get to join my club

Set up an internet page, get Twitter/Facebook accounts, have a regular Friday news briefing on TV

No plan to end it, the likes of Trump, Putin and their cronies will do it for me

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you were God…

By end the world, do you mean destroy the planet, destroy mankind, or something else?

1. salvation would just be another word for: getting your life straight. It's ongoing process and progress of self growth.
No, salvation is the act of being saved. It has nothing to do with progress or growth.
If there is nothing to be saved from, salvation becomes meaningless. Christians assume we are in peril and need saving. I see no basis for this belief other than religious folklore.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No, salvation is the act of being saved. It has nothing to do with progress or growth.
If there is nothing to be saved from, salvation becomes meaningless. Christians assume we are in peril and need saving. I see no basis for this belief other than religious folklore.

Its a general question, not a christian one. If I were god, people will continue with self growth and progress. So, they are saving themelves. Im just the motor or spark behind it not the instructor nor do I have ethics to guide which behavior is right since they find in themselves.

I dont know about the christian god. I dont care for human sacrifice; so, even if I were the christian god, that would go immediately.

syo

Christianity answers these best.
1. choose the good after temptation
2. human form Jesus
3. the good join God in eternal bliss.

Electra

If you were God…

1) i expect skills to increase, this happens differently for every strain so it's all good whatever path that takes.

2) i would let those who figure it out know, those who wish to beleive can beleive, those who don't are missing out but that's theirs. I prefer to reign with an heir of mystery rather than tyranny.

3) i have a well oiled team, a good leader can leave with little to no production loss as there is a team built with tasks spread around.
There will always be some 'world' with or without the originals.