• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Were Cloned

Lightkeeper

If you were cloned, who would you have raise the child? Would you raise it? What would you tell this person?

skills101

Vicar of Christ
Probably have my father raise my clone. I probably couldn't stand myself =),

In all seriousness, I would probably raise him. It would be a tough decision, but I figure that I probably know it better than anyone else. I don't think I would tell it I'm its clone until it hit its teens, when I think it can actually understand what I say.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
If I was cloned, I would raise myself...:sarcastic...ummm...yeah. That's what I would do. I wouldn't want to be cloned and have someone else raise me. One of me is enough :biglaugh:.
Although I have been told that there should be more of me...and that's not only from carrdero :p .

Pah

Uber all member
I think there is a misconception about what a clone really is.

It is not necessarily identitical.

It is not a copy of behavior and personality.

It is a new being with the same (except for mutation in the womb) genetics as the parent.

It will develope differently from one clone to another due to differences in hormonal makeup in the womb.

-pah-

Mystic

I would raise myself.

Because I know most of my own strengths and weaknesses, I would try to bring out the clone's strengths and weaknesses to make it a better human being.

For example, my mother squelched my desire to become an artist. I would bring out that attribute. I would also help the clone feel more comfortable with him/herself and not be afraid to stand up for itself.

Finally...if it had the same career desires, I would do all I could to help the clone achieve success.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I wouldn't want a clone of me. I'm too much for anyone to handle, and two is just tooooooooooo much:cool:

Ceridwen018

I wouldn't want a clone either, but lets just say that some crazy scientist snuck into my room and somehow extracted my DNA while I was sleeping. He then took that DNA to his lab and created a clone without my knowledge. Once the baby was 'born', he brought her to me with a note, (he sort of foams at the mouth and doesn't talk much because he's crazy, so he just writes notes, you see), which said "Here's your clone! HAHAHAHA!" I would be willing to raise her. In fact, I wouldn't want anyone but myself to raise her.

linwood

I wouldn`t clone myself unless it happened in a situation like what Ceridwen put forth.

I would raise it myself for the reason Mystic gave.
Because I know most of my own strengths and weaknesses, I would try to bring out the clone's strengths and weaknesses to make it a better human being.
If talents and mental traits are indeed genetic to any extent I am the only one who could truly understand the potential a person with my exact DNA would have.

Thats a temporary answer because on second thought raising a child for that reason seems perhaps too self-centered to be ethical.

I`m unsure.

Ceridwen018

Remeber though guys--as far as 'strengths and weaknesses' go, the clone would NOT share your strengths and weaknesses by any other reason than coincidence. Cloning is purely physical, NOT MENTAL. It cannot control personality. If you are very shy by nature, it is possible that your clone could turn out to be extremely extroverted, etc.

Runt

I'd see no reason not to raise my clone. It would not be like raising myself. A normal parent can have a child that looks incredibly like him or her; while this child would have the identical genes as me, she would probably look different than I did at whatever age she is at a given time. She would dress differently than me, have different expressions, different scars, different hair cut, posture, carriage, etc. She would be about as much like me as a young woman would be to her identical twin sister. Except approximately 20ish years younger. :p I'd tell her she was a clone as soon as she was old enough to understand what that means and to understand that she is NOT me.

linwood

Ceridwen018 said:
Remeber though guys--as far as 'strengths and weaknesses' go, the clone would NOT share your strengths and weaknesses by any other reason than coincidence. Cloning is purely physical, NOT MENTAL. It cannot control personality. If you are very shy by nature, it is possible that your clone could turn out to be extremely extroverted, etc.
I understand that but certain propensities are theorized to be genetic.
Everything from Intelligence, homosexuality, spirituality, and artist abilities.

I realise that there is not at this time much support for these theories and I myself have put up many arguments against them but if I was considering my clone I might want to see if there is truth to them.

However ..again..I don`t think thats ethical...so..I`m still unsure.

Lightkeeper has a habit of posting concepts that cut right to the ethical/emotional chase.
They often need a good bit of time for introspection before I can form a rational opinion.

:)