• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you make over 75,000 a year, are you rich?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
At least John Edwards thought that you had to make 6 figures to be rich. Both are crazy, but which is more crazy?

nutshell

I would not consider 75K/year to be rich.

But the question isn't really this simple. What is "rich"? Where are we talking about - Berea, Kentucky or Manhattan? Is the person single or does (s)he have a spouse and ten kids?

"Rich" is relative.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Generally speaking, if you make 75,000 a year in California right now, you break even.

So in short, no.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I would not consider 75K/year to be rich.

But the question isn't really this simple. What is "rich"? Where are we talking about - Berea, Kentucky or Manhattan? Is the person single or does (s)he have a spouse and ten kids?

"Rich" is relative.

I find that a stunning statement. We live in very different worlds.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
At least John Edwards thought that you had to make 6 figures to be rich. Both are crazy, but which is more crazy?

Yes, filthy rich. Though if you're talking in terms of dollars that's about £2.20. But in pounds, yes it's a lot of cash... well... if you're buying a car... but if you're buying a house it's not so much... it's complicated and I'm tired! *zombie walks away*

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Remember, as Phasmid pointed out, that 75K in USD is more like 38K in pounds or euros.

nutshell

I'm stunned at the statement that you would not consider 75k a year rich.

Did you read the rest of my post?

It depends on many factors such as location, family size, current debt, etc. Another poster pointed out that $75K in California is breaking even, which is far from being rich.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Did you read the rest of my post?

It depends on many factors such as location, family size, current debt, etc. Another poster pointed out that $75K in California is breaking even, which is far from being rich.

Rock stars with expensive habits sometimes don't break even, are they poor ?

nutshell

€50,576 today according to XE.com.
And the dollar is weak at the moment
And things in the US are cheap in comparison to here.

This is the average industrial wage here:-
CSO - Statistics: Industrial Earnings

The average industrial wage you link above would be $48,100 in the U.S.

But again, this amount is different depending on location, family size, current debt, etc.

For example, a $300K home in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon might be $700K in parts of California. Obviously, that $75K or $48K or whatever it is will be used up more or less quickly depending on location.

nutshell

If you make over 30K a year, which is practically everyone in America, you are rich.

That's a joke. A person making 40K in California won't even be breaking even. Do you think a person can survive in Roseville on $40K?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
If you make over 30K a year, which is practically everyone in America, you are rich.
In comparision to the third world countries, yes definitely. By American and countries like it standards though, not even close.

tomspug

Absorbant
That's the thing though. You don't need more than 30K in America to live a normal life. You only need MORE to get the bigger house, the nicer car, things that don't matter!

With 30K a year, you can find a comfortable place to live, afford health care, a car, car insurance, own multiple sets of clothes and shoes, feed yourself, and still have money to spare to buy things for yourself for entertainment and comfort. How about that?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
tomspug said:
That's the thing though. You don't need more than 30K in America to live a normal life. You only need MORE to get the bigger house, the nicer car, things that don't matter!
I make 31,000 a year, and I can't even rent a studio apartment on my own. That's hardly normal and that matters. ;)

tomspug said:
With 30K a year, you can find a comfortable place to live, afford health care, a car, car insurance, own multiple sets of clothes and shoes, feed yourself, and still have money to spare to buy things for yourself for entertainment and comfort. How about that?
Come down to L.A. and see how well you live off 30,000 a year. Comfortable place to live? Sure, if you consider South Central "comfortable." Healthcare? :biglaugh:There are people making 100,000 a year that can't even afford healthcare unless it's provided by their employer. Car and car insurance? Depends on how much you have left over after food and rent. Maybe if it's used. Clothes and shoes? Yes. Food? We'll see how inflation goes this year. Entertainment and comfort? Depends on what you have left over after car, rent and food and what you consider entertainment and "comfort." I don't have a car payment, and if I did all the things that I considered entertainment and comfort, I'd be living paycheck to paycheck...hopefully.

Draka

Wonder Woman
It does have a lot to do with where you live. I lived in San Diego for a couple years, and, in the cheapest area, Imperial Beach, i paid $575/mo for rent on a small 2 bedroom apt with no air conditioning and a tiny fridge and range (in an ultra-tiny kitchen where you could reach everything standing in one spot).

In the midwest you can rent a 2 story 3 bedroom house complete with A/C, appliances (including washer and dryer), garage, and large yard for that same amount.

So, $75,000 in Cali = modest living. $75,000 pretty much anywhere in mid states = you're living the cushy life with money to spare.