• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Knew There Were No God

PackJason

I make up facts.
If you knew with 100% certainty that there is no god(s), would you behave any differently or live your life in a different manner? (aside from attending mass/service/etc)

Would you treat people differently?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
If I knew there was no God, I would gleefully say 'the universe is ours for the taking!'. Since there would be no God, then Dharma and karma doesn't exist. Doesn't mean I should start making people suffer. I would simply idolise my God, one of his incarnations is Lord Rama, and he shows everyone how to uphold righteousness and truthfulness.

Raahim

مكتوب
If that was the case then I'd create a god in my head and still try to be a better person. But I'm sure chaos would rule on Earth then. :(

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering my gods are all the stuff of reality, this question becomes an impossible scenario for me. In order to be certain there are no gods, reality could not exist. If reality does not exist, then I don't exist either. Thus, the conclusion could never have been reached. Impossible scenario.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If you knew with 100% certainty that there is no god(s), would you behave any differently or live your life in a different manner? (aside from attending mass/service/etc)

I guess not. I have such a certainty already. Or at least something very close to it for all practical purposes.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
If I knew there was no God I'd stop stoning adulterers.
Don't do that! I'll go out of business!
whfUBnR.jpg

David1967

Premium Member
I think its as impossible for us to prove that there is no God as much as it is to prove there is. But to answer your question; My personality is mine. I don't treat people with kindness because I think God will punish me if I don't. I am nice to people simply because that is just me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

If it's just me who knows this, nothing would change.

If it was common knowledge, I'd probably have less respect for theists.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Not applicable. I know there is no God.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The universe is an awfully big place. How can you Know such a thing for sure.

I am sure to know it. i did not say that what I know is surely true. Two different things.

Most of the things I know are uncertain. The only things that I am certain about are tautologies or analytic propositions usually found in mathematics or logic.

But for the rest, I do not claim certainty, just knowledge. it could be that in some remote parts of the Universe gravity is repulsive. Maybe it is even repulsive here, I did not check that all apples fall to the ground instead of flying in orbit.

Yet, that does not justify me claiming ignorance or agnosticism about the basic properties of gravity.

Same with God.

Ciao

- viole

David1967

Premium Member
I am sure to know it. i did not say that what I know is surely true. Two different things.

Most of the things I know are uncertain. The only things that I am certain about are tautologies or analytic propositions usually found in mathematics or logic.

But for the rest, I do not claim certainty, just knowledge. it could be that in some remote parts of the Universe gravity is repulsive. Maybe it is even repulsive here, I did not check that all apples fall to the ground instead of flying in orbit.

Yet, that does not justify me claiming ignorance or agnosticism about the basic properties of gravity.

Same with God.

Ciao

- viole

Thank you for that honest answer. I have always been curious how we (people) on one side say with confidence "I know there is a God." and on the other side ,"I know there is no God." You answered wisely when you said, "I am sure to know it. i did not say that what I know is surely true." I can respect that.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
To me the more important question is continuation of life after death or annihilation. God or no God is a secondary issue. If there were no life after death I would quit being a vegetarian and just concern myself with leading a comfortable life. I would probably be apathetic about my fate and the fate of mankind. I would just not be motivated to care about much.

Acim

Revelation all the time

To me, if there was no God, there would be no Reason, Life, Love, and plausibly even existence. Let's say there is existence, and for sake of making the point, there is also Life. With no Love or Reason, I'm 100% certain I would treat people differently than I do now. And 100% certain, I would live my life in a different manner.