• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Knew Someone Was Divine, Would You Be More Respectful?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Or treat them like a religious whacko? :oops:

Plus if you could even believe this was possible, that someone is divine in human form, why not be respectful to everyone? :innocent:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Plus if you could even believe this was possible, that someone is divine in human form, why not be respectful to everyone? :innocent:
I'm not big on the concept of divinity. If someone claimed to be divine I'd probably chuckle and respond, "Well, who ain't?"

As far as respect goes, I am mildly respectful of people's weird ideas about reality as it is too much of a hassle to challenge every loopy concept that you run into. Life is too short for some diversions. One of my favorite quips I use in real life is, "AH, I've never thought of it that way." The way I say it and the tone is important and deliberately misleading. I sound so sincere. :) ...as I am scanning for the nearest exit... "Good lord, look at the time!"

*Poof*

Laika

Premium Member

If a religious wacko is a decent person, they have my respect. The consequences of people's actions are generally more important than what they believe (even if the two are inter-related).

Another factor is where ever possible I try to be decent out of sympathy knowing my own personal struggles of dissenting views against reason and common sense. As a whack job I can usually empathise. :)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I believe my most respected spiritual teacher is an Avatar; which means a divine incarnation in Hinduism. I treat him with the most upright respect.

But in a bigger sense, we are all God/Brahman but our ego limitations block the full expression. In the case of an Avatar, the ego limitations have been transcended. We can get there too.

wizanda

Premium Member
Being divine doesn't entitle a wight to greater general "respect" by default.
So if Thor turns up at your house tomorrow, thunderstorms and all; you wouldn't give any extra respect?
Thor.png

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Isn't it sort of the other way around? Don't we rise people to divine status because we respect them?

wizanda

Premium Member
Don't we rise people to divine status because we respect them?
In some cases yes, like the Vikings with legends of their warriors; yet the Roman emperors just insisted.

A lot of our religions have had a charismatic leader, who claimed divine guidance, which is why we follow and respect what they say. :)

Acim

Revelation all the time
I find the OP inquiry interesting, cause it says "if you knew" rather than, "if you thought it possible they might be."

My answer is "of course." Though, I would stipulate that with I would hope to respect everyone in the same way, and further stipulate that with, I am confident everyone is divine. Without exception.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In some cases yes, like the Vikings with legends of their warriors; yet the Roman emperors just insisted.

A lot of our religions have had a charismatic leader, who claimed divine guidance, which is why we follow and respect what they say. :)
Is that so? If you say so.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I am respectable to any one that is receptacle to me, divine or not, I see all as the divine, many are ignorant of their divinity, but that's fine, I see through their ignorance.

idav

Being
Premium Member

I'd wait for them to mess up and when they don't be like, who the heck is this guy?