• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you had a billion dollars tommorow, what would you do

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would visit a slew of museums to discuss
needs & projects. I already have all the stuff
I want. But I'm open to the possibility that
my wants might change.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No right or wrong answers , I guess. Or maybe

Give some of it to my former friend. I was asked this question at a Toastmasters fifteen years ago and said I'd give it all to him given his situation... he lost his WHOLE life and freedom basically.

With the rest, set aside "just in case" money, figure out a way to invest, and the fun stuff? Travel outside the US to a place that looks NOTHING like the US. Buy a place that's easy to fix up somewhere in the woods by the water, and get me a job (since I haven't worked majority of my life-so I'm very grateful I can work now) just in case stuff hits the fan.

Travel, mostly. Hiking, something like that. The money would be more for foods, transportation, just in case more than a big television or jewelry (but I would like to get running shoes every few years)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Is that enough to go to Disneyland? I haven't been there yet.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd do many things to secure the safety of myself and family (suddenly having control of a billion), however I would among other things create a research company and would have historians, lawyers, language experts and all kinds of research experts finding and preserving information. I'd gather information and I'd gather learning experts. I'd look for ways to clarify and concentrate information to make it easy to absorb and recall -- especially History.

One branch of research would be about learning. I would look for ways to teach people at a much faster rate and more reliably than ever and more quickly. I'd find ways of enticing people to think, too. I realize this kind of research is already in progress in many places, however there is no harm in trying to speed it up and concentrate it.

Secondly I'd found an institution (Perhaps call it the King David institution) with the intention of finding discouraged people and inspiring them, bringing them back into society and the workplace. I'm not clear on exactly how I'd do it, but I'd begin by finding people who were already doing the same thing and would find out who was having the most success. This would be a for profit operation, but its goals would be to inspire its own workers. It would die with me and not ever be sold, but it would hopefully inspire more such institutions.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I would put 4 million into something safe that pays halfway decent interest.

I'd put 1 million in Bitcoin and 1 million in ethereum.

Couple/3 million in gold and silver.

Then I'd buy a nice house somewhere secluded in the middle of the woods.

Then I would buy RF, give each staff member a million or two, and start paying them a salary.

The rest I would just give away one way or another, probably starting with RF members.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I'd make sure all my friends nd family were secure financially.

I'd give gifts to many of the employees of stores I frequent who have been there a long time.

I'd finance cycling in my region, teams and races.

But the biggest thing is to set up a non-profit to invest in poor communities. That would be buying retails spaces and helping local people set up businesses. I'd also buy abandoned houses and hire local kids to learn skills fixing them up, then selling them to families. I'd give grants to people who need to fix their homes but can't afford it. I'd hire crews to help people repair their homes if they can't afford it, thus improving neighborhoods. I'd also donate heavily to help the homeless and the hungry.

And more.

Shaul

Premium Member
I’d corner the market on kumquats, gooseberries and sealing wax. Then I’d bring back Studebaker cars.

Ok, maybe I won’t buy up the kumquats. But definitely bring back the Studebakers.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
disappear
build a secure and remote compound for myself and my closest family and friends.
save and invest
philanthropy

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Eh, ignore it and just live life as I always do.

But whenever someone said they needed something, I'd find a way to get it to them. Preferably with them not being aware where it came from..

And I'd build a temple nearby, so I don't have to drive so far to get to mine.

Daemon Sophic

- Several million into investments and gold.
- Custom, zero energy, self-sufficient, double walled, insulated concrete form house, in the foothills southeast of Seattle, WA. Off the grid, yet all the best modern and old-world conveniences. And 2 electric vehicles.
- take whatever college and community college classes I want to, including language courses, with travel to those nations for immersive learning.
- donate most of the $billion$ to organizations and charities I like.
- invest in several growing companies, whose products and methodology I like.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No right or wrong answers , I guess. Or maybe
Get same day shipping for my massive robot army that's been on backorder* the last several decades.

I could have taken over the world by now if it wasn't for that damm galactic warehouse's incompetence.

*Largly due to me ordering the Vanguard Robot Bagpipes n Drum Birgade special edition

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Put aside a few million for a nest egg, invest enough to get significant annual returns and use those for various activism and charity projects, then before I die write a will specifying how it should be used with the knowledge I’d have gained between now and then on how to help the most people.

Probably also take a million to pay off everyone I know’s debts.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Give 10% to my family.
Hire a secretary and let her find the most trustworthy charities and donate 10% to them (1/3 locally, 1/3 European, 1/3 worldwide).
Pay my co-owner and the mortgage so that my house is truly mine.
Go on a shopping spree, comix, records, computers, historical items, games, tools.
Start some businesses with this list of goals: help the environment, employee satisfaction, customer satisfaction, making profit - in that order.
Buy a boat and travel the seven seas.