• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you go to a strip club, do you expect to have sex?

At the strip club...

• I expect to tip dancers and not have sex. This is still fun for me, I do this knowingly.

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • I expect to tip dancers and not have sex. This is disappointing for me, why do I do this?

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I expect to get laid at the strip club.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes. It’s almost always “independent contracts” except for maybe the highest level gentleman’s clubs where the dancers are considered assets and employees.

Slow nights and day shifts could cost.
I preferred working as an independent contractor.
(Different field though.)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I preferred working as an independent contractor.
(Different field though.)

Were you able to obtain benefits, and were you eligible for unemployment if a contract fell through? I don't mean to diss independent contractorship; just that it was a serious threat they could hang over our heads: we won't schedule you if you don't do what we want and there is nothing you can do about it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Were you able to obtain benefits, and were you eligible for unemployment if a contract fell through? I don't mean to diss independent contractorship; just that it was a serious threat they could hang over our heads: we won't schedule you if you don't do what we want and there is nothing you can do about it.
As a contractor, I earned more money.
Benefits were thru Mrs Revolt.
I preferred the independence, working for more
& different companies for different length projects.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

There's a lot of it in my industry (software consulting). The team I manage includes some contractors, although it's mostly employees.

I'm an employee, but freelanced for a while.

With a somewhat unique skillset, the contractor holds the power. If replaceable, it flips.
I had customers paying sick days and even annual leave to me even whilst I was a contractor. But that was due to the monetary value of the work I was providing and the difficulty in replacing me, plus due to me being able to choose between multiple employers (so choosing one who treated me respectfully over the one who would pay 'most')

Not very analogous to stripping I think, in terms of that balance of power.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
There's a lot of it in my industry (software consulting). The team I manage includes some contractors, although it's mostly employees.

I'm an employee, but freelanced for a while.

With a somewhat unique skillset, the contractor holds the power. If replaceable, it flips.
I had customers paying sick days and even annual leave to me even whilst I was a contractor. But that was due to the monetary value of the work I was providing and the difficulty in replacing me, plus due to me being able to choose between multiple employers (so choosing one who treated me respectfully over the one who would pay 'most')

Not very analogous to stripping I think, in terms of that balance of power.

In stripping your skill determines your time slot. Gotta work that pole or you're working days. I started from the bottom, but I was regularly weekend nights by the end.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In stripping your skill determines your time slot. Gotta work that pole or you're working days. I started from the bottom, but I was regularly weekend nights by the end.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply there was a lack of skill involved, or even a hierarchy.

I'll use an analogy from my industry. I have 10 finance consultants in my team. I'm trying to hire more, and I certainly don't want to lose one. The best ones are constantly in high demand.

I have 1 Strategic Asset Consultant. He can sit around twiddling his thumbs (figuratively) because there are about 3 people in the country with his skillset. Having him available is worth the cost. If he made ridiculous demands I'd probably get rid of him just to be fair to the rest of the team, but it would leave a hole I can't paper over.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Sorry, didn't mean to imply there was a lack of skill involved, or even a hierarchy.

I'll use an analogy from my industry. I have 10 finance consultants in my team. I'm trying to hire more, and I certainly don't want to lose one. The best ones are constantly in high demand.

I have 1 Strategic Asset Consultant. He can sit around twiddling his thumbs (figuratively) because there are about 3 people in the country with his skillset. Having him available is worth the cost. If he made ridiculous demands I'd probably get rid of him just to be fair to the rest of the team, but it would leave a hole I can't paper over.

I didn't take it as such, was just clarifying how the power dynamic works: you don't have power over the club because they can just threaten you with day shifts; and there's enough people that know how to use a pole now (especially with all the non-stripping pole aerobics that's very popular. Which I think is a good thing, but it does have that consequence). One of my friends still teaches pole (also yoga, also aerialist stuff).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't take it as such, was just clarifying how the power dynamic works: you don't have power over the club because they can just threaten you with day shifts; and there's enough people that know how to use a pole now (especially with all the non-stripping pole aerobics that's very popular. Which I think is a good thing, but it does have that consequence). One of my friends still teaches pole (also yoga, also aerialist stuff).

Makes perfect sense. Interesting how modern social and technology changes impact on different industries.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
This entire thread has made me super nostalgic for those days. I was cute as a button, could eat what I wanted without having to work it off, didn’t get hangovers, had a VOICE, went to emo shows and sang my heart out til my eyes teared up from just being young and dumb. I wish time vacations were a thing; I’ve been listening to all the stuff I would have listened to back then tonight.

Really I think I miss the music scene if I think about it. We had such a good one back then.

I miss friends rolling up and just being like “let’s go, what’s responsibility?”

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
@Meow Mix
I could be wrong of course but it seems most of the posters on this thread are non-Brits. The world and culture described here is not one I am aware of. None of my friends would ever dream of going to a strip club, there are none in my city and never have been, and they are seen as the very definition of seedy. When I worked for the government benefits department the claimants were (almost by definition) part of the lowest socio-economic strata. Those with an involvement in prostitution invariably had poilice records for drug taking. I'll bow out here (I do not see customers as being exploited, but haven't of course voted).

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
@Meow Mix
I could be wrong of course but it seems most of the posters on this thread are non-Brits. The world and culture described here is not one I am aware of. None of my friends would ever dream of going to a strip club, there are none in my city and never have been, and they are seen as the very definition of seedy. When I worked for the government benefits department the claimants were (almost by definition) part of the lowest socio-economic strata. Those with an involvement in prostitution invariably had poilice records for drug taking. I'll bow out here (I do not see customers as being exploited, but haven't of course voted).

It could be an American thing for sure, I wouldn't know. (Not replying to bring you back in if you wanted to bow out, just acknowledging).

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Actually, just reading these posts, so far, it does not appear that way at all. It looks to me like most of the responders see strip joints for what they are: gross, creepy, mercenary, and as likely to be offering sex for money, as not.

It also seems to me that most of the people who think like that (including yours truly) are also the ones that have never been to one.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Performing a little poll experiment to make a point to @PureX :

If you go to a strip club, are you expecting to have sex? Or are you aware that you're going to be tipping for drinks and tipping dancers to watch only?

Is watching dancers fun for you even if you don't get to have sex with them?
I've never been to one. I don't know if I should expect sex there, but I reckon that if I went, I certainly would be wanting sex afterwards.

I can't imagine not liking to see fit young women dance, just never went to a club to see it.