• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Don't Believe In A God, What Are Your Reasons For Living?

Demonslayer

What do you all think about living? What are your reasons for living? Do you have any reasons to live?

I can't count the number of reasons to live. Craft beer, spicy wings, skiing, making love to my wife, reading a good book at the beach, playing with dogs, driving a nice car, hiking through a beautiful wooded area or up a mountain peak, swimming in the ocean, poking fun at religion on RF, seeing live music or a comedy show, going to a friends wedding, golfing with my 70 year old father who can still whip me good on the course, laying on the mat exhausted after a crossfit class, finishing a half marathon, seeing a good movie.

I mean this is just a tiny partial list off the top of my head. I really enjoy life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I heard the opposite, that they are going to do two seasons, but only like 7 episodes each. :mad:
I'm surprised there's so much agreement on the importance of GOT to enjoying life!
I once recommended the show to someone, who subsequently decried it as misogynistic male gaze privileged yada yada yada.....
Maybe that's why I like it?
But I love the characters, especially The Imp.
He survives by his wits, he's respectable, & he enjoys all aspects of life.
Truly a Zen master, eh?
And now the main guy of the Unsullied has a wry sense of humor.
This is great stuff!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I always figured by what reason is this addressed ?

Yours, or the universe?

I think the answer becomes clear when noting the universe gets by fine without any reason. Maybe its well and good to consider the same.

Whateverist

I, on the other hand, prefer a bacon-and-egg biscuit in the morning.

I'm also quite fond of a black bean burger with bacon now and again...

But have you tried the bacon, bacon and bacon sammich? I hear it is the (cholesterol) bomb.

Pretty much what everyone else has said up to now, but especially the next season of GoT.

Isn't it interesting, once you lose your belief in gods, how odd it seems to ask questions like this? I mean, I don't ask people why go on living if they're not watching/reading Game of Thrones. The same goes for anything else pleasurable you can think of including sex with bacon. But somehow, within a strong belief in God it can seem normal to ask why the rest of bother to live at all.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Isn't it interesting, once you lose your belief in gods, how odd it seems to ask questions like this? I mean, I don't ask people why go on living if they're not watching/reading Game of Thrones. The same goes for anything else pleasurable you can think of including sex with bacon. But somehow, within a strong belief in God it can seem normal to ask why the rest of bother to live at all. Interesting.
There are similar things other than god that provoke questions when you go without. Meat, for example, is consumed in such large amounts here that I've been asked a number of times if I went vegetarian just because someone sees me eating a meal that doesn't have any meat. We often do ask such things about sex, as it can be an indication of physical or psychological issues.

Whateverist

There are similar things other than god that provoke questions when you go without. Meat, for example, is consumed in such large amounts here that I've been asked a number of times if I went vegetarian just because someone sees me eating a meal that doesn't have any meat. We often do ask such things about sex, as it can be an indication of physical or psychological issues.

But I don't think its ever intended as more than a colloquialism for enthusiastic enjoyment, except when asked in relation to god belief. In my online experience, plenty of Christians are absolutely sincere in asking such a question.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But I don't think its ever intended as more than a colloquialism for enthusiastic enjoyment
Not really. It's a serious question I get every now and then. It's more of what a given culture values that they ask about when someone goes without, and in Indiana people generally tend to eat meat with every meal - vegetarians are seen as rare oddities who don't eat "real" food.

Whateverist

Are you or do you aspire to be a vegetarian? I can think of no reason more nobel for doing so than to place less demands on the biome. As human beings, our species has gone viral. I'm not one but I eat plenty of meals without meat.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Are you or do you aspire to be a vegetarian?
No. I just eat it way less than most people here. I use to eat it like they do, but I cut way back on my meat consumption, and have found people wondering if I went vegetarian because they see me eating a meatless meal. Hoosiers eat a ton of meat (one of the major pork consumers in the nation), it's considered important, and people think you're weird if you go without.

With life, we have a general idea of what we're getting from living. I don't believe anybody knows what's going to happen to us when we die. If there is an afterlife, it could be even worse than this one for all we know. So it's better to keep on going in this life when right now there's more to gain from living than not living.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
My life actually started when I gave up the belief of a god, the belief in god kept me away from being myself, I was trying to be someone else all because i was told that I was nothing but a dirty rag full on sin, yep, gave it up, happy as anything now.

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
th