• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Don't Believe In A God, What Are Your Reasons For Living?

Spideymon77

A Smiling Empty Soul
I've been curious because many people have their own interpretations as to what the meaning of life is. Some even say "The meaning of life is what you want it to mean." I believe that we should all try to make the world a better place one word at a time. I think that pretty much every little thing can change our way of thinking in some way so if more people act nice, we would have more nice people!

That's just me though. What do you all think about living? What are your reasons for living? Do you have any reasons to live?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Hmmm.

I live, because I am alive; for me, that is enough reason to live. I don't recall asking for this, but it's what I've got, so I will continue it as long as seems reasonable, or something else intervenes.

I wish to live as good a life as I can, and to be as good as I can to all the human and other-than-human persons in my environment, so that they can live as good of lives as they can, too. Doesn't always work out for everyone, but that does seem to be what happens in life.

So it goes.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been curious because many people have their own interpretations as to what the meaning of life is. Some even say "The meaning of life is what you want it to mean." I believe that we should all try to make the world a better place one word at a time. I think that pretty much every little thing can change our way of thinking in some way so if more people act nice, we would have more nice people!

That's just me though. What do you all think about living? What are your reasons for living? Do you have any reasons to live?

Mostly I'm just sticking around to see what happens next.

EDIT: although I do believe in a God.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I, on the other hand, prefer a bacon-and-egg biscuit in the morning.

I'm also quite fond of a black bean burger with bacon now and again...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What do you all think about living?
People tend to fear it a lot more than they let in.

Still, it is a necessary condition for pretty much all opportunities worth pursuing.

What are your reasons for living?
There are still some lessons worth learning ahead of me. Also, it would feel like a waste to let go after all that I have been though. And every now and then I get a glimpse of the beauty of Shakti, thereby renewing my hope of communion with Her.
Do you have any reasons to live?
For the longest time I did not. An interesting if unadvisable experience.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I live for others not for myself. If I did for myself, I'd taken my life from clinical depression years ago. The more I thought of reasons to die, it makes me think of reasons to live.

Reasons to live (foundation): my health, family, education/career, and creative expression (writing and things of that nature).

These things are not permanent and it doesn't mean they can't be reasons to live since we are here a short while as well. The biggest reason is to be comfortable with death by living life the best I can. Liberation of the mind by understanding life's grievance: An endless cycle of life and death.

Those are my reasons.

Last edited:

Orbit

I'm a planet

God has nothing to do with it. Life has whatever meaning you give it. For me, our purpose is to love one another and make the world a better place.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I found out last night that Jon Snow is Daenerys' nephew....duh.
I recommend the prequel texts, of which there are five so far.

"The Hedge Knight" and "The Princess And The Queen" are particularly worthwhile.

Sure beats the alternative.

I'm more curious why those that DO believe in some wonderful afterlife would want to dawdle around here.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
When i was an atheist, i would have said that i live because of life itself. If there is no meaning in life, create meaning. A conscious being is never worthless.