• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you don't believe in a god, do you believe in fate, destiny, luck?

We Never Know

No Slack
If you don't believe in a god and believe everything is just part of nature evolving,,,, do you also not believe in fate, karma, destiny, luck, etc?

Why or why not?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No. I believe everything is spontaneous in nature from seizures and cancer cells to just going on your day and some sort of karmic action you did in the past hits you like a ripple effect in the present. Our minds are set to make patterns and solve problems so if they occur again, we can better manage it. Part of our animal brain, I guess. I never had a concept of destiny or fate. I'm not sure what that means outside religion.

We Never Know

No Slack
No. I believe everything is spontaneous in nature from seizures and cancer cells to just going on your day and some sort of karmic action you did in the past hits you like a ripple effect in the present. Our minds are set to make patterns and solve problems so if they occur again, we can better manage it. Part of our animal brain, I guess. I never had a concept of destiny or fate. I'm not sure what that means outside religion.

Thanks. I forgot karma(had to edit and add it). How does karma differ from destiny, luck and fate? Aren't they all supposedly based on our actions?

darkskies

I don't believe in those. I do believe in luck as an informal measure of "good things" happening.
How does karma differ from destiny and fate? Aren't they all supposedly based on our actions?
The meanings are vague, but I think destiny and fate refer (in this context) to things that are "meant to happen" or "pre-written" and generally beyond our control while karma is in our control.
That of course doesn't necessarily mean that all the actions were predetermined, just the outcome.

We Never Know

No Slack
I don't believe in those. I do believe in luck as an informal measure of "good things" happening.

The meanings are vague, but I think destiny and fate refer (in this context) to things that are "meant to happen" or "pre-written" and generally beyond our control while karma is in our control.
That of course doesn't necessarily mean that all the actions were predetermined, just the outcome.

Ok so you think things are meant to happen. Would that mean the actions you take that would bring on karma are also meant to hapoen?

We Never Know

No Slack
Infinity’s my god
Fates real
Free will exists
There is no why

"Infinity’s my god"... Your god is infinte?

"Fates real"... so real is preplanned and not unchangeable?

"Free will exists"... yes choices exists but not all choices are freely chosen.

"There is no why"... there is always a why but not always an explanation.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If you don't believe in a god and believe everything is just part of nature evolving,,,, do you also not believe in fate, karma, destiny, luck, etc?

Why or why not?

I would see it more as probabilities and uncertainties. Fate and destiny imply that some outside force is controlling events, so I don't really believe in that any more than I believe in a god. I don't really believe in luck, although I do find some of the notions associated with "good luck" and "bad luck" somewhat interesting. Like thinking a rabbit's foot or a four-leaf clover will bring one luck.

I recall an episode from the series Baa Baa Black Sheep where the pilots in the squadron were afraid of flying with this new pilot because they thought he was "bad luck." The squadron commander, Pappy, was chewing them out for believing in bad luck, and took note of the fact that some of the pilots were carrying good luck charms. A point was raised that if someone believes they have bad luck or are going to have a bad day, then they'll find some way to make it happen. So, there may be something to that. Not supernatural, but perhaps in the way humans might program their minds for either success or failure.

We Never Know

No Slack
I would see it more as probabilities and uncertainties. Fate and destiny imply that some outside force is controlling events, so I don't really believe in that any more than I believe in a god. I don't really believe in luck, although I do find some of the notions associated with "good luck" and "bad luck" somewhat interesting. Like thinking a rabbit's foot or a four-leaf clover will bring one luck.

I recall an episode from the series Baa Baa Black Sheep where the pilots in the squadron were afraid of flying with this new pilot because they thought he was "bad luck." The squadron commander, Pappy, was chewing them out for believing in bad luck, and took note of the fact that some of the pilots were carrying good luck charms. A point was raised that if someone believes they have bad luck or are going to have a bad day, then they'll find some way to make it happen. So, there may be something to that. Not supernatural, but perhaps in the way humans might program their minds for either success or failure.
Rabbits foot or four leaf clover are just beliefs. In other words luck and supposedly causes of luck are passed on beliefs.

darkskies

Why do you think the others are prewritten but karma isn't? Don't they all rely on our actions? Such as being the right place at the right time, doing something, etc.
The whole point of saying "it was destiny" or "it was fate" is that it means it was going to happen regardless of what you did.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I see the world as some thing of being deterministic at many levels, yet there do seem some legit elements of spontaneous movements possible.
And I do reject the notion of freewill. It is heavily constrained by many variables, leaving very little room for a "will," if any at all.
Terms like fate, destiny, luck, I see them more as way of describing one of the many, many things outside of our control.

We Never Know

No Slack
I see the world as some thing of being deterministic at many levels, yet there do seem some legit elements of spontaneous movements possible.
And I do reject the notion of freewill. It is heavily constrained by many variables, leaving very little room for a "will," if any at all.
Terms like fate, destiny, luck, I see them more as way of describing one of the many, many things outside of our control.

"
Terms like fate, destiny, luck, I see them more as way of describing one of the many, many things outside of our control."

But if our choices influence them, wouldn't that makes them in our control based on our choices?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Why or why not?

No, not really. Things happen, in some cases the route leading to those things can be manipulated, sometimes not. You could call the end result luck pr fete if you have a superstitious bent, i just call it life.

We Never Know

No Slack
No, not really. Things happen, in some cases the route leading to those things can be manipulated, sometimes not. You could call the end result luck pr fete if you have a superstitious bent, i just call it life.

Yes things happen. Things have happened.
Why do you choose to believe in one myth and not the other?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Why or why not?

I might believe in luck as an attribute of living creatures, as I constantly see people who constantly have bad things happening to them and others where good things constantly happen to them. This could also be attributed to cause and effect that I do not see.

But I might be too overly influenced by playing Fallout New Vegas. :shrug:

Heyo

Veteran Member

Why or why not?
The world is deterministic on an every day level, chaotic in iterating systems that are sensible to minute changes in starting conditions and absolute random on a quantum level, like nuclear decay.
So, yes and no. Our sun is "destined" to become a red giant in about 4 billion years except when we get "lucky" to reach Kardachev 2 and starlift it to a manageable size.
I have my own definition of "Karma" that has nothing to do with the notion prevalent in Hinduism and Buddhism but it has practical similarity. Every of our actions (that is witnessed) changes our society ever so slightly (because monkey see, monkey do) and those actions come back in the form that we live in the society we create. No supernatural counter needed but the message, that we should mind our decisions, is the same.