• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you defined religion based on your own...

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If you were to define what "religion" means based off your own religious practice, what would the definition of religion look like? For the purposes of this question, feel free to substitute the word "religion" with "spirituality" or "way of life" if that better suits your perspective on things.

I ask this question because as a religious minority, I'm often aware of how "religion" is defined based on the majority. It can be interesting to think about what "religion" would be defined as from the perspective of different religious traditions. There are some important implications of how a nation goes about defining "religion" as well, particularly where it comes to freedom of religion and conceptions of what "secular" means. But that probably warrants its own topic, so let's stick to the "how would religion be defined if the definition was centered on yours" question. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"Religion", "spirituality" -- whatever you want to call it -- boils down to how you deal with your psychological self. For me, at least.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If you were to define what "religion" means based off your own religious practice, what would the definition of religion look like? For the purposes of this question, feel free to substitute the word "religion" with "spirituality" or "way of life" if that better suits your perspective on things.

I ask this question because as a religious minority, I'm often aware of how "religion" is defined based on the majority. It can be interesting to think about what "religion" would be defined as from the perspective of different religious traditions. There are some important implications of how a nation goes about defining "religion" as well, particularly where it comes to freedom of religion and conceptions of what "secular" means. But that probably warrants its own topic, so let's stick to the "how would religion be defined if the definition was centered on yours" question. :D
I think of myself as a minority of ....one

I reason that religion is practice in an effort to gain control of the spiritual portion that we are

the only practice we actually need.....
Do unto others as you would have it done unto you.

all other practice may be dropped

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
"Religion", "spirituality" -- whatever you want to call it -- boils down to how you deal with your psychological self. For me, at least.
I'm very much in agreement with this. For me, it's not about anything to do with "religion", per se, and more about psychological integrity, synchronicity and a holistic view of being.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I'd say that "religion" is optional and best avoided, and very much distinct from my "way of life."

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

This is really interesting, because the focus is almost entirely the opposite for me. I won't claim that this perspective on what religion looks like is true of all Pagans, but it is a common framing:

• Religion is about relationships. Relationships not just with human persons, but non-human persons such as the land, the sea, the sky, and all the creatures dwelling within these places.
The other-than-human persons may be understood as gods, or they might not. In either case, the focus is very much on "other" rather than on "self."

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I'm very much in agreement with this. For me, it's not about anything to do with "religion", per se, and more about psychological integrity, synchronicity and a holistic view of being.
as if......?

to gain the ability to say......I AM!......

as if you are a son of God

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

This is really interesting, because the focus is almost entirely the opposite for me. I won't claim that this perspective on what religion looks like is true of all Pagans, but it is a common framing:

• Religion is about relationships. Relationships not just with human persons, but non-human persons such as the land, the sea, the sky, and all the creatures dwelling within these places.
The other-than-human persons may be understood as gods, or they might not. In either case, the focus is very much on "other" rather than on "self."

To me, Quintessence, how one deals with others tends very greatly to depend on how one deals with oneself (i.e. one's psychological self). For most people, I'd say the two are entwined. At least, that's how I see it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

but....excuse me....
isn't religion aimed (for most people) .....at Something Greater than themselves?

and what relationship is greater than the one you have with your gods?

granted (and I believe) heaven is watching how I do unto others
so relationships to others is very important

But I have see it written.....I am a jealous God.....have no other before me

does your belief have an Almighty?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
To me, Quintessence, how one deals with others tends very greatly to depend on how one deals with oneself (i.e. one's psychological self). For most people, I'd say the two are entwined. At least, that's how I see it.
I grew up in a bad neighborhood....

I was not entwined

I left

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Religion will look like each and every moment of life.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To make a more complete list, if we defined religion with Druidry at the center, it might look more like this:
  • Religion is about articulating your values. Let's face it, you won't like every person (human or otherwise). Part of religion is choosing to develop stronger relationships with things that reflect your values. These are your objects of worth-ship, or worship, whether called "gods" or not.
  • Religion is about exploring, learning, and thinking. In order to develop relationships, you have to explore, learn, and think. Whether it's academic study or wandering in the wilds, all forms of knowing are encouraged and required.
  • Religion is about meaningful storytelling. Once we learn about others, we begin to weave stories about how they fit into our lives. This is perhaps the core of religious experience, and taking responsibility for one's stories is vital.
  • Religion is about joyfulness, gratitude, and respect. The persons we share the world with are amazing! Expressing that joy, gratitude, and respect is a central way of honoring relationships.
I might come up with some more later, but that's what's coming to mind right now. Quite distinct from how religion tends to get defined, isn't it?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't have much use for the idea of "son of god", my dear @Thief
Though I can assure you, "I am!"
if you are not a son of God....what relation with God do you have?

using Job as a reference.....I would settle for ...
least of servants

InChrist

Free4ever
Although, I was raised in a religion and tried a a few others, a living, daily relationship with God is more important and real to me than practicing religion because I believe in a personal Being who created heaven and earth and my life.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

an action based on one's state of mind towards service to self, and/or others as self

conduct as a result of belief

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
if you are not a son of God....what relation with God do you have?

using Job as a reference.....I would settle for ...
least of servants
I do not think in terms of god or gods, dear @Thief
I have no use for a relationship with a figment of the imagination of others.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Spirituality is the study of how to win.

Religion is more the study of how to be on the winning team.

Aldrnari

For me, it's a way to refresh and center myself, and to keep myself grounded. Then, from there, I can focus on others around me in a positive way with a positive mindset. :)