• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could work miracles...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In a very funny moment on a British sitcom called "The Bishop of Dibley," the (female) Bishop, in a Zoom chat with school kids during lockdown, happens to mention to the kids that "Jesus did one amazing miracle...he brought a man (Lazarus) back to life." To which one of the kids (they say the darndest things, don't they) responded, "what, just the one?" And another kid chips in and says, "if I found I could bring people back to life, I'd do it all the time, not just once," to which all the other kids agreed.

Brings up an interesting question, doesn't it? I mean, if you could do miracles, would you feed just one crowd of 5,000 with 5 loaves and 2 fishes, or would you go everywhere there was famine and feed as many as possible? If you could heal the sick, would you pick just a couple, and leave others to suffer? How would you make your selection?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
tumblr_pla5nuf78M1wp3h7wo1_1280.jpg

74x12

In a very funny moment on a British sitcom called "The Bishop of Dibley," the (female) Bishop, in a Zoom chat with school kids during lockdown, happens to mention to the kids that "Jesus did one amazing miracle...he brought a man (Lazarus) back to life." To which one of the kids (they say the darndest things, don't they) responded, "what, just the one?" And another kid chips in and says, "if I found I could bring people back to life, I'd do it all the time, not just once," to which all the other kids agreed.

Brings up an interesting question, doesn't it? I mean, if you could do miracles, would you feed just one crowd of 5,000 with 5 loaves and 2 fishes, or would you go everywhere there was famine and feed as many as possible? If you could heal the sick, would you pick just a couple, and leave others to suffer? How would you make your selection?
Jesus did bring more than one dead person to life and he actually fed two separate crowds of people with fish and bread. But, Jesus primary purpose was not to do miracles. It's made pretty clear that the miracles happened mostly because Jesus would just see someone in need; but he didn't normally go looking for them. His primary mission (other than the cross) was to preach and teach.

In fact some of the people who Jesus fed with the loaves and fishes came looking for Jesus to make him their king because they figured if he could do that they could defeat the Romans pretty easily but of Jesus refused and Jesus makes it clear they were focusing on the wrong things. They were looking for physical food but Jesus wanted to give them spiritual food. (John 6:26-28)

Gargovic Malkav

If I could do miracles, it would be important to me to maintain the thought that it's not about me, or those I love and/or those I want to help.
Besides, I think people would take miracles for granted(therefore, making it less than a miracle) and sooner or later exhibit traits of "spoiled child syndrome", and as soon as they don't get what they want, they will judge God and the Miracle Man in question, robbing themselves of their faith.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Brings up an interesting question, doesn't it? I mean, if you could do miracles,
Indeed, brings up interesting questions

would you feed just one crowd of 5,000 with 5 loaves and 2 fishes, or would you go everywhere there was famine and feed as many as possible?
I would not go everywhere and feed as many as possible

If you could heal the sick, would you pick just a couple, and leave others to suffer?
I would pick a couple and leave others to suffer

How would you make your selection?
Using my power of "omniscience"

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think you mean the Vicar of Dibley with Dawn French. ;0]

...Brings up an interesting question, doesn't it? I mean, if you could do miracles, would you feed just one crowd of 5,000 with 5 loaves and 2 fishes, or would you go everywhere there was famine and feed as many as possible? If you could heal the sick, would you pick just a couple, and leave others to suffer? How would you make your selection?

Jesus got murdered when he did those things. If I would do the same, also I would be murdered. Doesn’t sound very useful to do so, especially because this life is just a temporary lesson and true life is with God.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Jesus got murdered when he did those things

That's not why he got executed.
Also, bending over backwards and assuming the idea that he indeed was god in the flesh, then he only got executed because he allowed it - and even planned it.

An all-powerful and omniscient miracle-worker can only be killed if he wants to be killed.
In fact, he wasn't killed at all. He just made people think he was. Really, in the story, he's immortal.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe people want miracles but God simply wants obedience. I believe the question could be why did He do any miracles at all? The mission was to die on the cross. I am speculating that He wanted people to know by dint of the miracles that it was God dying on the cross.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe if I had the gift of miracles as spoken of in I Cor. 12 then I would do with them according to the gift of wisdom:
Luke 21:15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which none of your adversaries will be able to withstand or contradict.

That's not why he got executed....

It was the reason, because it is why people kept him as King, which is not what the leaders liked and which is why they wanted to kill him. If I would heal all the sick, first in line to kill me would probably be the medical industry, then all the rulers of the world who want to rule in totalitarian and fascistic style.

An all-powerful and omniscient miracle-worker can only be killed if he wants to be killed.
In fact, he wasn't killed at all. He just made people think he was. Really, in the story, he's immortal.

I don’t know what are you reading, but the Bible tells Jesus was killed and God raised him from death, which means, he was not immortal and not the one and only true God.

Now may the God of peace, who brought again from the dead the great shepherd of the sheep with the blood of an eternal covenant, our Lord Jesus,
Heb. 13:20

God exalted him with his right hand to be a Prince and a Savior, to give repentance to Israel, and remission of sins.
Acts. 5:31

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I believe people want miracles but God simply wants obedience. I believe the question could be why did He do any miracles at all? The mission was to die on the cross. I am speculating that He wanted people to know by dint of the miracles that it was God dying on the cross.
Yes, well this whole dying on the cross scapegoatism strikes me as simply bizarre. If I cared enough about somebody, I might pay their debt for them. If I liked them enough, I might even go to jail for them -- or like Sidney Carton, even to the scaffold But in doing so, I could still not remove their guilt from them. Only they can do that, for themselves, through their own contrition and restitution.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It was the reason,

No, it wasn't.

I don’t know what are you reading, but the Bible tells Jesus was killed and God raised him from death, which means, he was not immortal and not the one and only true God.

Now may the God of peace, who brought again from the dead the great shepherd of the sheep with the blood of an eternal covenant, our Lord Jesus,
Heb. 13:20

God exalted him with his right hand to be a Prince and a Savior, to give repentance to Israel, and remission of sins.
Acts. 5:31

Many many christians would not agree with that.
They'll say that Jesus = God.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, well this whole dying on the cross scapegoatism strikes me as simply bizarre. If I cared enough about somebody, I might pay their debt for them. If I liked them enough, I might even go to jail for them -- or like Sidney Carton, even to the scaffold But in doing so, I could still not remove their guilt from them. Only they can do that, for themselves, through their own contrition and restitution.

I believe if a person is guilty of breaking his own rules he can remove it but guilt before God can only be removed by God. You can say you are sorry until you are blue in the face but it won't help unless God is willing to accept your contrition.