• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Could Travel Back...

I'd go back and tell Yazdegard to just accept his loss at Qadssiya and not try again and lose for good at Nehnavand

Better off to tell Khusrow II that anyone called Maurice couldn't be worth starting a war over, so best just keep chilling in Persia rather than invading the Roman Empire which weakens both sides so much they never recover.

Then you could have kept everything :crown:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
What was the significance of Emperor Julian?

The last Pagan ruler of the Roman Empire (unified, but also of either half). Known as Julian the Apostate by Christians and Julian the Great by some Pagans (well, by me). He made serious attempts at governmental reform including purging the top-heavy state bureaucracy which was suffocating the Empire and attempted to undo Christianity's ill-gotten privileges & restore the Pax Deorum. That he died so soon into his reign is a tragedy that condemned thousands in Europe to suffering & repression as Christianity spread west & north.

Last edited:

Jumi

Since I don't have a religion I'd travel to any anomalous event, to see if there is one.

Laika

Premium Member
...to an event in your religion's history, which event would you go visit? Imagine you can only do it once and so only see one event, but you'd be able to interact with the people and so on.

Since Noahidism isn't its own religion and is tied to Judaism, I guess I'll have to pick a Jewish event. So I would like to visit that time where Elijah shows the worshippers of foreign gods who's boss. Those familiar with the scriptures know what I'm talking about!

well...there's a lot to chose from. Thinking about it is painful honestly.

I think there is a student in Paris in 1951 by the name of Saloth Sar who I might want to talk to. He was awarded a scholarship and was studying radio electronics at the Engineering School of Information and Digital Electronics. He's well liked and is considered a nice, polite and generous by his friends. He is a member of the Khmer Student Union and becomes a member of the Marxist circle.

He grows up to kill up to a third of his own people in the space of three years. We remember him as Pol Pot.

That he died so soon into his reign is a tragedy and condemned thousands in Europe to suffering & repression as Christianity spread west & north.

It probably wouldn't have made much difference, the spread of Christianity is what led the Roman Empire to become Christian, rather than the other way around. It was really only a matter of time until it eventually became the official state religion. This was still another 5 (I think) Emperors in the future, and under most of them paganism was relatively tolerated.

He was fighting a losing battle from the start.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I'd like to be at Mount Sinai again when G-d and Moses speaks to all the Hebrews.
a8MRqrO_700b.jpg

Riders

The day Buddha was born and any day in the late 1960s in the Dallas Tx UU church of downtown Dallas, when hippies were smoking pot and cigaretts in church.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
It probably wouldn't have made much difference, the spread of Christianity is what led the Roman Empire to become Christian, rather than the other way around. It was really only a matter of time until it eventually became the official state religion. This was still another 5 (I think) Emperors in the future, and under most of them paganism was relatively tolerated.

He was fighting a losing battle from the start.

I was under the impression that either a majority of the Empire's citizenry or at the very least a significant minority still kept the Old Gods when Christianity first gained access to the corridors of power. It took a very long time for the Empire to be fully Christianised; successive Emperors had to keep issuing edicts banning Pagan rituals and even observing the domestic cults in the privacy of the home. I think Christianity could at the very least have been restrained & kept in check if Julian had lived long enough to sire an heir and have him schooled in Neoplatonism, Greek philosophy and the stories of the Olympians. As an example of what he did when was alive, Julian actually made it harder for Christians to abuse Pagan texts to push their own beliefs.

Last edited:

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I can't help but feel that if it looked anything like that, there would not be any remaining Hebrews to tell the story.
Be that as it may, it doesn't really detract from the notion that the myths about Moses and the Israelites' exodus may have involved (or at least been inspired by) some kind of volcanic activity.

Riders

I don't remember the Egyptians or the Israelites experiencing a volcano, was there a volcano in the bible?
I don't Remember that.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't remember the Egyptians or the Israelites experiencing a volcano, was there a volcano in the bible?
I don't Remember that.
The Torah was given on Mount Sinai and some descriptions given appear to match that of volcanic activity.