• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could pick 3 performance arts to master ...

Galateasdream

... Which ones would you pick?

Assume a genie could grant you 3 performance arts for you to instantly become a world-class master of, which three are you choosing? Try being fairly specific (music is a bit broad, lol).

I'm struggling to choose ... But I reckon I can narrow it down in a bit ...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Piano.
That's it....not 3.
OK....the other 2 would be piano.
I'd like to be able to do this...

Hmmm....I see that Poly & I are sharing brain again.

PureX

Veteran Member

Assume a genie could grant you 3 performance arts for you to instantly become a world-class master of, which three are you choosing? Try being fairly specific (music is a bit broad, lol).

There are no differing "performance arts". There are differing mediums, and different skills employed in performance art. And "performance art" is itself just art that happens to involve the use of performance in it's execution.

I think it's important that we be clear about this because the human endeavor that we call "art" is by far the most misunderstood and misrepresented of any category of human activity. Playing a piano is not a "performance art". It's just a skill that one could use in performing a work of art, or not.

Galateasdream

I'm not surprised to see piano ... I was tempted. But it's not portable ... And I like to think practical.

So, I reckon the first of my 3 would have to be singing. With a great voice I can almost always perform, and I don't have to have or carry anything really ...

The second is a tad uncommon, it would be 'drag artistry' for me, because you know - queer gender stuff.

The third is hard ... Will come back to that after a bit more thought. Many good possible options from magic to comedy, acting to guitar, juggling to dance ...

amorphous_constellation

It kind of occurs to me that there aren't really that many performance arts.. or maybe I lack imagination. I play music, but if I instantly got good at it, there would be no journey. Then again, I'd probably still like it if I was better for free

I could say figure skating since it is a whole 4 degrees here, if frostbite didn't get me and if I liked figure skating.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

• Poetry
  • Music composition
  • Stand-up comedy
Yeah, I know the third is a far cry from the first two, but I have a passion for all three.

Galateasdream

I think my third would be dance.

It's portable, doesn't require any equipment really, will help keep me fit, synergies nicely with my other two, and makes me look super cool in the nightclub, lol :)

exchemist

Veteran Member

I think three would be absurd. One would never have the time or mental energy to sustain three at world class level, because of the need to master the material and work out how to express it. You would blow up.

Speaking as an amateur choral singer, I would love to play the keyboard (piano/harpsichord/organ) well enough to do justice to J S Bach. Imagine being to play this, for instance:

and the godlike feeling you would get at the majestic coda at the end (11:30 onward) when finally the pedal descends to that powerful bottom C and just sits there, while the upper parts come to rest and slot into place above it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I would first like to master the Argentine Tango, guess that is dance. A slight defect in my spine means i move like a demented robot so i don't see that happening

I would love to be able to play bass guitar. A friend has the most beautiful Epiphone that he assures me, plays itself. Not when i pick it up.

Three, how about presenting petite gateaux like these i offer you as a welcome to RF

macaron-magasin-gâteaux-confiserie-image_csp52429314.jpg

Heyo

Veteran Member

1. Sword play
2. Music (You said it's not specific enough, so let me specify: Playing an instrument is just the manial work. I want to understand music, to identify a key, know the chords that work in that key, improvise a second voice.)
3. ??? Is pickup artristy a performance art?

Daemon Sophic

1. Piano. - to be world-class would imply that I understand music composition as well perhaps not to be able to make it at a world-class level but I could create my own tunes as I so desired.

2. Singing - since as @Galateasdream points out, you always have your voice with you.

3. - Ball room dancing, including waltz, rumba, swing, tango, etc...my wife would love that, and

With this trifecta of skills, you would never be poor, or lacking entertainment, or company (whenever or where ever you choose). At any social gathering, party, or even a multi-thousand person venue, you could subtly support others, woo anyone, or be the life of the party at your choosing.