• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could design god(s)...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
We learn about what "god" means from the culture we grow up in. Often, we don't think too much about those teachings, where they came from, or what it might mean to challenge them. Why is "god" defined this way but not that way? What if you got to define what "god" means? What if you could throw out all those things other people told you about god and decide for yourself?

If you designed god(s), what would god(s) be like?
I don't know that they would be any different from what they are (far as I can tell): inspirational devices that many people abuse.

If I had supernatural powers for creating literal deities and chose to do so, they would probably be a lot like the Hindu Devas and consistently wise and compassionate.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Anal grammarians strikes.

Nice god, I would wish for a world Created without fast food restaurants, and bad coffee.

Im a Lancashire lass, its how we talk.

Im with you on fast food restaurants. As for good coffee, i either make it myself or drink at suppliers who are as obsessive about coffee as i am.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Hmmm, to be fair to the OP, I don't think she wanted a bunch of atheists to bombard this thread.

I did not consider the thread serious, and possibly a bit of sarcasm.

I do honestly believe God can be an "engineer" because I do believe in the idea that we live in a simulation. This is not to suggest this engineer is a true God. Just a creator.

There are physical properties that suggests this like how photons can be both a wave and particle. There are quantum values versus infinite values in the world.

This is a good starter. Of course, this is all thought with little actual basis:

I believe these physical properties of our physical existence, and nothing more. It is a real stretch to go beyond with a metaphysical interpretation.

PureX

Veteran Member
Meet my idea of God!

Popeye-by-Lee-Romao-1.jpeg

suncowiam

I did not consider the thread serious, and possibly a bit of sarcasm.

I believe these physical properties of our physical existence, and nothing more. It is a real stretch to go beyond with a metaphysical interpretation.

I do agree, hence, why I haven't started a religion of Simulationtology. Although I could make a good coin from all the tax exemptions.

Rational Agnostic

We learn about what "god" means from the culture we grow up in. Often, we don't think too much about those teachings, where they came from, or what it might mean to challenge them. Why is "god" defined this way but not that way? What if you got to define what "god" means? What if you could throw out all those things other people told you about god and decide for yourself?

If I designed a god then wouldn't I be the real god?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow... the directions folks are taking this in are definitely not what I anticipated. I'm not sure how I feel about that... haha.

For a bit of context, this was a question that was asked of me when I was wrestling with the "god" word shortly after I learned contemporary Paganism was a thing. My thinking about the word "god" was very much locked in with American cultural norms and I was pretty much oblivious to that fact. Then, for some reason, reading this question just shattered that cage for me. I suppose that means it was simply the right words at the right time. Maybe others haven't had a similar experience to that?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

If I could design a god wouldn't I be one as well? But for the sake of discussion if I could effect something like that I would design one God like Dr. Manhattan, who is omniscient and compassionate. Who doesn't care what you do in life or what your religious stance is as long as you live a positive life.

If I could design gods I would very much design them like the Simpsons.