• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could design god(s)...

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
We learn about what "god" means from the culture we grow up in. Often, we don't think too much about those teachings, where they came from, or what it might mean to challenge them. Why is "god" defined this way but not that way? What if you got to define what "god" means? What if you could throw out all those things other people told you about god and decide for yourself?

If you designed god(s), what would god(s) be like?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I dunno, about 4' 5", orange with black stripes. Enjoys wearing a red scarf.

Sanzbir

If in fiction?? I like the dynamic found in Manichean thought and think it would make an fairly interesting setting metaphysically. So probably heavily influenced from Mani and with an emphasis on escaping and detaching from the world versus the world trying to get your soul to linger and give into temptation, thus keeping you stuck in this world reincarnating.

In reality?? I'll just stick to the ones that are real. No need to make anything up.

suncowiam

Hmmm, to be fair to the OP, I don't think she wanted a bunch of atheists to bombard this thread.

I do honestly believe God can be an "engineer" because I do believe in the idea that we live in a simulation. This is not to suggest this engineer is a true God. Just a creator.

There are physical properties that suggests this like how photons can be both a wave and particle. There are quantum values versus infinite values in the world.

This is a good starter. Of course, this is all thought with little actual basis:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Compared to the animals that is what we are (gods), so technically there are visible gods already. If I were to redesign humans, I'd make us shorter with more flexible bones and more comfortable out of doors, and I'd add the ability to make our own vitamins and absorb calories directly from sunlight. There might be some other tweaks but mostly we'd be the same.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'd design a being who could ensure nothing ever got stuck in drawers.

Second choice would be something so universally powerful it would prevent JWs knocking on doors at Sunday lunchtime

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We learn about what "god" means from the culture we grow up in. Often, we don't think too much about those teachings, where they came from, or what it might mean to challenge them. Why is "god" defined this way but not that way? What if you got to define what "god" means? What if you could throw out all those things other people told you about god and decide for yourself?

If we defined god as energy rather than a being or objects/persons of worship, the phrase "I believe in god" wont be a god independent of ourselves; but, without "It" (rather than personified) we would not exist and everything and every living being that cannot exist without energy such as heat and otherwise. If god is energy and we understand this god, we understand how we move etc while at the same time calling it god creates the appreciation in the mind that our cultures associate with the word god.

Outside of that, I wouldnt know a sensible serious answer to what a god could be.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

There is already a very diverse selection of designer God(s) in the ancient religions, and folk religion traditions to chose from if your into a particular designer version.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
my God would be so far beyond this universe and have a total else nature than a human one. He would be holy and without need, self sufficient and full of compassion for justice of the heart. He would be one of endless others in an infinite, boundless ,endless eternity. Knowledge and understanding would be under His authority. He would be the maker and giver of everlasting life. He would be a master creator, and not a fiddler like the creators we have. Deserving would be his name. and Life would be meant to be. and He would have a family of His own with endless equals.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Regardless of how you define your god, mine would be bigger, better, greater and have a truly cosmic sense of humor. :)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

That's a tough question. I've pondered a bit about this, and I've tried to look at it in consideration with the immense size of the universe and the observable phenomena within it. With that, along with concepts related to higher-level dimensions, possibilities regarding the "multiverse," trying to define or design a universal supreme being which created the whole shebang can be rather problematic to say the least.

I would also entertain the possibility that whatever "god" created the entire universe may not be the same "god" that created earth or life on this planet. We could be some lesser being's "pet project" of sorts. The entity that most religions might refer to as "god" could be just some flunky as part of a larger pantheon of gods. Our "god" would most likely be the "Gomer Pyle" within that pantheon.

So, I guess that's your answer: God is Gomer Pyle.

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! ;)

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I'd design a being who could ensure nothing ever got stuck in drawers.

Second choice would be something so universally powerful it would prevent JWs knocking on doors [on] Sunday [at] lunchtime

Anal grammarians strikes.

Nice god, I would wish for a world Created without fast food restaurants, and bad coffee.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I am very happy with my Hindu Gods. Very difficult to improve on 3000 years of prolific imagination.

Ents would be a good addition though. Don't have talking tree shepherds there. So Ents get my vote to be a new entrant in pantheon.

Flame

Beware
300px-Shub-Niggurath.jpg

Any Outer Gods or Great Old Ones from Lovecraftian mythos.

Iä! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat with a Thousand Young!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

God as a created being....There's an animated youtube video about this out there somewhere.

Here it is:

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I would personally prefer a deistic idea of a god if I could choose one to exist. Create and let it be.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Contrary to my culture and current conventional uses (i.e. capital-g 'God'), I prefer the root of the word; that being the Proto-Indo-European word 'ghut', meaning "that which is worshiped or invoked". For myself though, I dislike using the word. I would rather use the words of my faith (ás/æsir, ásynja/ásynjur, vanir, jötunn/jötnar), but most people don't know those. So "god/goddess" remains a word of convenience...

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

I think a perfect God would be a social manifestation of positive emotion, like love or companionship.

It would work like a positive feedback loop. You experience love or joy, and the god would reflect it back to you, or add to what you already feeling.

If you experience hatred, fear, or loneliness, then god would do the opposite. It would absorb that, and diminish it like it's soaking up water like a sponge.

We don't have to worship or sacrifice to a god like this. We may attribute this positive change to us, as opposed to an outside force.

The world would be a better place either way.