1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

if you could create your own religion, what would it look like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ImaTroll, Nov 30, 2014.

1. ImaTroll

ImaTroll Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Religion:
    ?
    i've investigated 100 different religions and still can't decide which one is right for me. maybe i need to create my own instead.

if you could create your own religion, what would it look like and why?

#1 ImaTroll, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. Viker

Viker Caucasian detritus

Ratings:
    +242
    Religion:
    Life n death
    It would look just like a religion and have a religious theme. Because I'm not an entirely original individual.

3. psychoslice

psychoslice Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,137
    Religion:
    my own religion
    I have already created my own religion, its my own and not someone else's second-hand ideology.

4. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,496
    Religion:
    None
    A cross between Scientology, the Cthulu mythos and one of those messed up a sex cults that were big in the 1970s.

That's why it's best for everyone involved that I remain committed to secularism. o_O

• Like Like x 1
  5. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,104
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    It would make a point of not encouraging supernaturalism at all. It would definitely not talk about spirits or angels, and it would be explicitly atheistic.

Its main focus would be applied ethics, rational analysis and the interaction of personal and collective moral duties.

And I suppose it would talk a lot about the flow of gifts, legacies and consequences.

6. DawudTalut

DawudTalut Peace be upon you.

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Religion:
    Islam DIR
    ?Investigated Ahmadiyya Muslims ? alislamDOTorg and mtaDOTtv

7. Wirey

Wirey Fartist

Ratings:
    +4,899
    Religion:
    God-Fearing Athiest
    It would be me and a bunch of naked teenage girls. Why?

8. columbus

columbus yawn <ignore> yawn

Ratings:
    +16,316
    Religion:
    None
    I've already created a religion that works for me. It isn't original, but it works for me.

I started with rational thinking and then progressed to human psychology.

The universe exists and so do I. I call the reason for that state of affairs God. No other claims about God. God is just there, like gravity.

I also believe in an afterlife. Not because I have any evidence or anything. I just prefer to believe it, so I do. That is called Faith. I prefer to believe that everything, including us humans, has some meaning. No evidence or any rational reason for believing this, it is purely a preference that I have. I have my own image of God and Everything. I don't expect anyone else to believe in it just because I do, so it isn't theism.

It is deist agnosticism. The one thing I am most certain about is that we humans don't know diddly about the True Reality. We don't know any more about God than the ancient Israelites knew about the solar system. Which is nothing, really.

So while I have my Faith Based Beliefs, I also recognize that I don't know anything important about God or Reality. Those are subjects that nobody knows anything important about. I am more certain that I am wrong than I am that my beliefs of preference(Faith) are right.

But it works for me, so I continue to have Faith. I continue to believe that what matters about me(my soul if you will) will eventually rejoin the Ground of Being, or The Ultimate Cause, or however you want to describe God. Even though there is absolutely no evidence that this will happen. I believe because I want to believe, not because anybody told me to or gave me any evidence.

Tom

9. columbus

columbus yawn <ignore> yawn

Ratings:
    +16,316
    Religion:
    None
    How is being humiliated a religion?
    How many times must a hot girl look at you like a mustardbrown smear on their new red strappy high heels before you understand that "How ya doin'" is about as sexy as "Check out the scar where they took out my brain" ?

Tom

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gnostic Seeker

Gnostic Seeker Spiritual

Ratings:
    +159
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalist/All
    A life-affirming philosophy religion with good ethics and humane values, and rituals that make life sacred.