• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could ask one question to God?

Jedster

Who created you?

The Creation Hymn from the Rig Veda (often quoted by @Aupmanyav ), suggests that 'He' may not know his own origin

HYMN CXXIX. Creation.
1. THEN was not non-existent nor existent: there was no realm of air, no sky beyond it.
What covered in, and where? and what gave shelter? Was water there, unfathomed depth of water?
2 Death was not then, nor was there aught immortal: no sign was there, the day's and night's divider.
That One Thing, breathless, breathed by its own nature: apart from it was nothing whatsoever.
3 Darkness there was: at first concealed in darkness this All was indiscriminated chaos.
All that existed then was void and form less: by the great power of Warmth was born that Unit.
4 Thereafter rose Desire in the beginning, Desire, the primal seed and germ of Spirit.
Sages who searched with their heart's thought discovered the existent's kinship in the non-existent.
5 Transversely was their severing line extended: what was above it then, and what below it?
There were begetters, there were mighty forces, free action here and energy up yonder
6 Who verily knows and who can here declare it, whence it was born and whence comes this creation?
The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?
7 He, the first origin of this creation, whether he formed it all or did not form it,
Whose eye controls this world in highest heaven, he verily knows it, or perhaps he knows not.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Ralph Giffith's translation, my homage to him, he did a nice job, is not 100% correct. What is mentioned in the verse is 'That' like we term 'Brahman', and the word used in 'Yo'. There is no 'eye' or 'heaven' as well. There is only one mention of 'he' (sah), but taken to represent 'That', it can be taken as 'It'. Who 'That' was, was unexplained 3,000 years ago, and is unexplained even today (though not that much unexplained, we know it is 'physical energy'). There is no God whom we can ask a question. :)

"yo asyādhyakṣaḥ parame vyoman sah aṅga veda yadi vā naveda ll"
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.

The correct literal translation is:
" That (yo), the master of it (asya + adhyakshah) in highest space (parame vyoman), it (sah) verily knows, or perhaps knows not."

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Year, read it, many christians haven't
Do you mean 'yaar' like we of the subcontinent use? 'Jaar' meant 'illegal lover' (Sanskrit), now 'yaar' means 'lover' or 'friend' (Hindu/Urdu).

'Jab ki pehlu se yaar uth'ta hai, dard be-ikhtiyaar uth'ta hai'
(When my lover leaves my side, I experience excruciating pain)
What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?
Is there one, or it is all a grand illusion?
.. the ONE question I would ask God is what the afterlife is like. :D
I have explained it a hundred times in the forum, but you insist to ignore it. It is chemical/biological recycling. You have your own prejudices.
If I had a second question, I would ask God why there is so much suffering in the world....
That would be enough to make an atheist out of me if I did not have so much evidence that God exists.
Ah, evidence! Kindly tell us that - you mean the vision of Bahaullah of the 'Maid of Heaven'?

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Do you mean 'yaar' like we of the subcontinent use? 'Jaar' meant 'illegal lover' (Sanskrit), now 'yaar' means 'lover' or 'friend' (Hindu/Urdu).

'Jab ke pehlu se yaar uth'ta hai, dard be-ikhtiyaar uth'ta hai'
(When my lover leaves my side, I experience excruciating pain)

Nope i meant to write yeah, dyslexia rools, k.o.

MonkeyFire

Oh, sorry, i thought that genesis said otherwise. I.e. god created earth and all it contains. Maybe you read a different bible?

Also see Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

I'm talking about satanic rebellion against Jesus, and Michael in which Lucifer became fallen, but not demonic.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Q: Why do you create creatures you know will end up in your hell?

baby to hell.png

Skwim

Veteran Member
God's knowing is not what causes things to happen.
Humans cause things to happen.
But as an omniscient deity, before a child is even conceived god knows whether or not it will end up in hell, yet does nothing to stop the conception. "Just another kid headed for an eternity in Hell. What is that today, 201,878? . . . . . .Ho hum."

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But as an omniscient deity, before a child is even conceived god knows whether or not it will end up in hell, yet does nothing to stop the conception. "Just another kid headed for an eternity in Hell. What is that today, 201,878? . . . . . .Ho hum."

God is not responsible for anyone ending up in hell, which is not a geographical location, but is rather distance from God. God gave man free will to choose whether to be close to Him (heaven) or distant from Him (hell.) God is in no way responsible for the choices people make.

“He who shall accept and believe, shall receive his reward; and he who shall turn away, shall receive none other than his own punishment.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 339

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Are there any Gods that their reputation was forgotten or destroyed over time?
With Hindus, Indra, Prajapati, Varuna (Ouranos), Dyavah (Deus), the Aryan Supreme Gods, are the prime examples. They are still worshiped but with much less importance, and have been supplanted by Shiva and Shakti (Indigenous deities) and Vishnu (a mix of Aryan and indigenous Gods including Rama and Krishna. Later, Buddha too was accepted as a God and an incarnation of Lord Vishnu). Another much-loved deity with the Aryans was Usha (Eos), she has been totally forgotten except for mentions in Vedas.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
God is in no way responsible for the choices people make.

“He who shall accept and believe, shall receive his reward; and he who shall turn away, shall receive none other than his own punishment.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 339
But my friend, the infant has not yet made any choice. Why should it have to die with Cholera, Typhoid, Earthquakes, Tsunamies or an automobile accident? What does Bahaullah have to say about that?

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But my friend, the infant has not yet made any choice. Why should it have to die with Cholera, Typhoid, Earthquakes, Tsunamies or an automobile accident? What does Bahaullah have to say about that?
He has nothing to say about that that I know of...
Suffering is a part of living in the material world and it is in-discriminant.
God is the one holding the bag for that because God created a world which is a storehouse of suffering....
And what about adults both young and old who suffer through no fault of their own?

Why is it always about children?
Infants and children get off easy because they are released from this storehouse of suffering and are plunged into the mercy of God whereas the rest of us have to live out our term.