• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If You Can't Love Yourself...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Can you love anyone else?

Or at least like yourself.

I'm curious. If you're having problems liking/loving others, is the problem not being able to like/love yourself?

Certainly you can still get what you need from others, affection, sympathy but maybe you find yourself not giving to the relationship. Seems the recipe for a bad relationship with both partners taking and not giving.

Why do people find themselves in this kind of relationship?

God = love, according to some. Is this because it is easier to love God than it is yourself?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I try to love myself but can't. Still disappointed in who I've become. Maybe, my standards are high. Yeah, it's easier to love God and chosen ones in some respect then yourself. However, it's easier to love yourself if you disbelieve in them, because then you let go of standards and can make up whatever bar or standard you wish as opposed to recognize the bar you must meet.

It's a choice, either we kill ourselves and travel towards God and his chosen lights. Or we kill God and his chosen ones light and become satisfied with who we are.

If we are afraid of change and becoming something higher, and don't want God's judgment to destroy by guilt who we have become, we will opt to disbelieve and deny in the light of God's judgment because we find it too harsh.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've always thought the "If you can't love yourself" is....crap.

I have always had trouble with self loathing. However, I refuse to believe myself incapable of love, as I love a good number of people. I just think I have a hurdle that was placed in my head from childhood on, but that doesn't mean its going to ruin me, or make healthy relationships impossible.

It means I'm flawed, like everyone else.

Self respect is another thing. I think it would be more accurate to say "if you can't respect yourself, it will be difficult for you to respect others".

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Self respect is another thing. I think it would be more accurate to say "if you can't respect yourself, it will be difficult for you to respect others".

I respect myself less than I love myself. This thread is tough for me. How can I respect myself when I failed God in all aspects of life and haven't offered him anything good so far?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I try to love myself but can't. Still disappointed in who I've become. Maybe, my standards are high.

This is my problem, too. :(

I respect myself less than I love myself. This thread is tough for me.

Its the opposite for me. Maybe its easier for you to love in general, and maybe its easier for me to respect in general?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Its the opposite for me. Maybe its easier for you to love in general, and maybe its easier for me to respect in general?

Maybe, I don't know if it's a good thing. Maybe that's why I'm in love with a woman my religion does not allow me to marry and who I probably can't change (have not tried).

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe, I don't know if it's a good thing. Maybe that's why I'm in love with a woman my religion does not allow me to marry and who I probably can't change (have not tried).

That's hard. I'm sorry.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's hard. I'm sorry.

It's been tough. I've been thinking of reasons to leave Islam because of it, but I feel certain Islam is correct and so I don't want her going to hell but can't find myself convincing myself that she won't be going there. The thought of her going to hell is daunting to me, and makes me extremely worried and sad.

I know Islam to the extent, I can't convince myself out of it, even for her.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It's been tough. I've been thinking of reasons to leave Islam because of it, but I feel certain Islam is correct and so I don't want her going to hell but can't find myself convincing myself that she won't be going there. The thought of her going to hell is daunting to me, and makes me extremely worried and sad.

I know Islam to the extent, I can't convince myself out of it, even for her.

Doesn't Islam allow men to marry outside the religion?

It would be hard to be with someone who you thought was going to hell, though. And it would be hard for her, too, to be with someone who believed she was going to hell.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to judge others. I ultimately realized the judgment I passed was a projection. I was judging others for things I disliked about my own character.

As a result, I changed me (and how I perceive me). I now love me, and I love others for who they are.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Doesn't Islam allow men to marry outside the religion?

It would be hard to be with someone who you thought was going to hell, though. And it would be hard for her, too, to be with someone who believed she was going to hell.

It does with certain people with certain qualities. It's not allowed with her and I don't see her changing either nor should she for my sake but rather should take religion seriously for God, not for me.

A Vestigial Mote

I'm curious. If you're having problems liking/loving others, is the problem not being able to like/love yourself?

Certainly you can still get what you need from others, affection, sympathy but maybe you find yourself not giving to the relationship. Seems the recipe for a bad relationship with both partners taking and not giving.

God = love, according to some. Is this because it is easier to love God than it is yourself?
I can honestly say that I love myself. Not in some conceited way - I know my limits, and I am fine with them - but in a "it is great to be alive, and great to be me" sort of way. I constantly strive to live by my own principles, and I have to wonder if there is anything better than finishing each day knowing that you didn't waiver during the course of the day. Are there some days I do waiver? Sure. But I constantly use my feelings of guilt or disappointment at things to hone in on what it is I can be doing to make sure I don't feel those things again. I also keep close watch on others, and the things they do that I don't like, and I make silent and lasting vows not to do those things when in the company of others. So, in the end, the vast majority of my time ends up being spent on things I am completely fine with having spent my time on. Sacrificing for loved ones, working on a personal project, getting others to think things through to logical conclusions to cut through emotional responses, mindless entertainment, being charitable, helping someone in need (I don't know how many times I have been out walking/driving and come across some person with a conundrum on their hands that I end up helping them through - keys and phone locked in a car, car won't start and they need a push, drunken cohort just kicked them out of the car on a corner and they're in a strange town at midnight - I don't know, I must seem approachable or something)

I often get the feeling that too many people take for granted what it means to be alive. They think all these trappings we've surrounded ourselves with, all the conveniences and pathways to this or that - career, culture, social interactions, ease and expediency - they think those things are "it" - are just "life" as lived by any person. None of that stuff is "life" itself, but the conflation sees them get really disappointed when those things aren't present. As a (probably stupid) example - coffee. Everyone seems to drink it. And when they don't have it, they can feel out of sorts, and do things or say things they might not normally. At least... this is as much as coffee drinkers themselves seem to relay quite often. I don't drink the stuff. It tastes terrible. I don't get it. And so, I haven't worked into my life this thing I might then become dependent on for me to "feel normal." When others talk about how they "can't do without their coffee" - they get blank stares from me. Sure, I've heard the tales... but coffee itself isn't what it is to "feel good," if that makes any sense. Anyway... "coffee" here is basically just a metaphor for anything that can be like that. And my ultimate advice to anyone looking to love themselves more would be to stop assuming that you need and understand "coffee" (again, metaphor).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I try to love myself but can't. Still disappointed in who I've become. Maybe, my standards are high. Yeah, it's easier to love God and chosen ones in some respect then yourself. However, it's easier to love yourself if you disbelieve in them, because then you let go of standards and can make up whatever bar or standard you wish as opposed to recognize the bar you must meet.

It's a choice, either we kill ourselves and travel towards God and his chosen lights. Or we kill God and his chosen ones light and become satisfied with who we are.

If we are afraid of change and becoming something higher, and don't want God's judgment to destroy by guilt who we have become, we will opt to disbelieve and deny in the light of God's judgment because we find it too harsh.

IMO, we get better as we get better. Don't always know that next step, but somehow, it eventually appears and we just have to take it.
However, we can't be other than what we are. God can't blame us for that. Maybe though, God could be a little upset if we don't take the next step when it is presented to us.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I never thought it was a good thing for religion to separate you from others.
I'd imagine the fear is that you would stray from your beliefs. Maybe if she accepts your beliefs along with the rest of you.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I used to judge others. I ultimately realized the judgment I passed was a projection. I was judging others for things I disliked about my own character.

As a result, I changed me (and how I perceive me). I now love me, and I love others for who they are.

I kind of noticed this tendency to project as well.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If You Can't Love Yourself
No

Yes. Like is mental, love is from the heart

Yes

Seems the recipe for a bad relationship with both partners taking and not giving.
True

To learn to Love

No.

Some also say "the Path is narrow and very few reach it"

Heart work to "Love Your Self"

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I do not think we need to love (ore even like) ourselves in order to be able to love others.
I do not think that If someone is having problems liking/loving others that the problem is not being able to like/love themselves.

I like/love everyone but I do not love myself although I try to like myself. I would never want to love myself as I consider that narcissistic and a sign of selfishness.

The things many psychologists say about the need to love ourselves are in-congruent with what my religion teaches.

‘Abdu’l-Bahá says:—

Let your life be an emanation of the Kingdom of Christ. He came not to be ministered unto, but to minister. … In the religion of Bahá’u’lláh all are servants and maidservants, brothers and sisters. As soon as one feels a little better than, a little superior to, the rest, he is in a dangerous position, and unless he casts away the seed of such an evil thought, he is not a fit instrument for the service of the Kingdom.

Dissatisfaction with oneself is a sign of progress. The soul who is satisfied with himself is the manifestation of Satan, and the one who is not contented with himself is the manifestation of the Merciful. If a person has a thousand good qualities he must not look at them; nay, rather he must strive to find out his own defects and imperfections. …However much a man may progress, yet he is imperfect, because there is always a point ahead of him. No sooner does he look up towards that point than he become dissatisfied with his own condition, and aspires to attain to that. Praising one’s own self is the sign of selfishness.—Diary of Mírzá Aḥmad Sohrab, 1914.

Baha'u'llah and the New Era, p. 84

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

What does it even mean to love yourself?