• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you believe in reincarnation...

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
For those who believe in reincarnation, does it at all depress you that all of your wisdom from this life might not be carried over or remembered in the next life?

For example - in this life you believe reincarnation to be true, for whatever reason. You might have thought hard to come to the conclusion of reincarnation. In the next life, you are statistically likely to live a life ignorant of that conclusion. Does this not bother you, that in the next life you may not be as philosophical or as wise as you've become in this life?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
For those who believe in reincarnation, does it at all depress you that all of your wisdom from this life might not be carried over or remembered in the next life?

For example - in this life you believe reincarnation to be true, for whatever reason. You might have thought hard to come to the conclusion of reincarnation. In the next life, you are statistically likely to live a life ignorant of that conclusion. Does this not bother you, that in the next life you may not be as philosophical or as wise as you've become in this life?

Well, life doesnt stop at one point. So when we cross over (if we like) or shed skin to pick of the next, we are carying memories and imbedded souls in us. Some say they feel they are from another world as if they had another lifestyle. Others believe (like myself) we are reincarnates through future generations and the land as so did our family before.

If you mean the next life I could be a cat or a beatle, I dont believe that. Though people have differerent ways of seeing reincarnation. Its saying life doesnt end; its not linear. We are one person and we go into the next.

Probably why people can be possessed and mediums contact dead. The souls of others live on. No pun.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Actually, you are not just born randomly. The process is about soul development. After a life you will spend considerable time on the astral and mental planes digesting the lessons of the last life and learning new lessons. At an appropriate time the soul will spawn a new incarnation appropriate for the development it needs. A more advanced soul (old soul) will have a greater influence on the next life than would an undeveloped soul. The soul has memories of all its incarnations.

Yes, the scenario you laid out sounds depressing and makes the spiritual progress in this life pointless.

Papoon

Does not disturb me at all.
Wisdom arises not by the action of individuals - it is relational and in flux.
Anyway, I suspect your notion of wisdom may be anthropocentric.
We can only separate one thing, or entity, from another as a mental exercise.
These questions only reflect the perspective that our current ego is the primary concern. In fact, it may as well be a dream.
What is wisdom to bacteria ?
Or is wisdom only human ?
My cat seems very wise. But I doubt that she engages in structured philosophy.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Does this not bother you, that in the next life you may not be as philosophical or as wise as you've become in this life?
I am not a believer in re-incarnation, but it does disturb the people who believe in re-incarnation. And for them, all the scriptures have been written that they should not waste even a moment of their life. To get the human form is very lucky and they must not stamp it with evil deeds. Engage in good deeds so that the person may not face such an eventuality. Let us see what Saint Kabir says about it.

Durlab manush janam hai, hua na duje baar l
pakka phal jo gir pade, lage na phir se daar ll

Getting a human birth is difficult, it does not happen again. It is like a ripe fruit, once fallen from the tree does not attach itself to the branch.

Raat Gawayi Soy Ke Diwas Gawaya Khaay l
Heera Janm Anmol Thaa, Koudi Badle Jaay ll

In the night I slept and in the day I ate. The human birth was a diamond which I exchanged for a cowrie*.
* Cowrie (shell money) was the lowest monetary unit in India used till early 20th century. 3840 equalled a rupee.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think having no recollection serves any actual detriment. Especially if any former life proved far less than stellar, it's likely a benefit.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If you end this life believing in reincarnation, then you haven't really gained enough wisdom worth perpetuating.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Reincarnation is an odd concept, for sure. If one does not even remember his supposed past lives, what meaning there is to it?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Well, when you put it like that it does sound a bit lame, fortunately reincarnation doesn't really work that way. Part of the problem with reincarnation is how it is generally conceived. To be honest, many ideas about reincarnation and some long-standing traditional views are simply incorrect and bear little resemblance to the process itself. One of the biggest erroneous ideas is that it is an inexorable path from the inanimate to animate, from ordinary into divine, that once one is committed there is no going back. It is seen as a distinctly linear process, where in fact, and I say that with more than a measure of amusement, where in reality it is much more like a game of hop-scotch or leap frog. No life is truly forgotten and is stored in the "memory" of the larger identity though that larger identity may certainly decide not to pursue some things you were quite enamored with. In a way that is hard to describe, you can decide to strike out on your own, as it were and follow your interests wherever they take you. There is no limitation in regards to time frames, for example, and it's not like it's a race, so all expression can be explored at great leisure.

Believing in or not believing in reincarnation is simply not relevant, as the point of reincarnation is to create a meaningful existence in a given time and space and to learn about aspect of reality that are of interest to the individual. That said, it might be helpful to think of reincarnation as a wheel, but rather than relentlessly moving forward with that wheel, if one considers a given lifetime to be one of the spokes, part of the experience is becoming aware of a central hub, to which, all the other spokes are also connected. The realization of this central hub is not something that, once discovered, is ever lost much in the same way that once you learn how to ride a bike or how to swim, you never really forget the mechanics of doing so. Likewise, it may take a bit of experimentation to get the realization "down pat" like rekindling the knowledge of how to ride a bike or swim, but it does become easier to make the connection... after all, you're done it before.

Then again... I could be quite wrong...

David1967

Premium Member

Just imagine who we could become as a species if we could retain all our knowledge from one life to the next. Imagine being able to expand on the positive things we accomplish and hopefully not repeating the mistakes of the previous lives.

rocala

does it at all depress you that all of your wisdom from this life might not be carried over or remembered in the next life?
When I was two hours old I could not tell anybody about life in the womb. When I was two years old I knew nothing about that tiny baby. At twelve all knowledge of the two year old was gone. Now at nearly sixty there is so much about my youthful behaviour that I cannot explain. That is just one lifetime, why should multiple lives be any different?

Jiddanand

People believe that at first place but don't at another.
Reincarnations are proven by many supported arguments. They are not just random happenings.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Suppose you remember all your past lives and know that your wife of today was your husband who you murdered in your last life and you were the parent who killed the child before that and then cousins and then generals who lead armies against each other and then priests who were great friends in a temple and so forth. Confusion is much too tame a word to describe the situation that would result when you tried to relate to your husband/wife/son/daughter/cousin/opposing general/friend/... So amnesia about past lives is a blessing.

Of course I don't want to be unintelligent etc next time - I'm human.

But on the other hand, to me reincarnation is like dreaming. I dream I'm someone doing something and then when I wake up, the dream disappears and I realize it was just a dream. I see reincarnation similarly - each life is a dream. And when you finally wake up, you feel wonderful.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why would anything be lost? Just because your soul's no longer running your present program/lifeline doesn't mean the program's annihilated. The program remains open for anyone to run it, even several at a time.

And, of course, as higher states of consciousness are achieved, consciousness becomes consolidated. One experiences or becomes aware of an entire lifetime instantly, rather than one frame at a time, then multiple lifetimes become consolidated. Finally consciousness becomes universal.

no loss. All retained.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
When I was two hours old I could not tell anybody about life in the womb. When I was two years old I knew nothing about that tiny baby. At twelve all knowledge of the two year old was gone. Now at nearly sixty there is so much about my youthful behaviour that I cannot explain. That is just one lifetime, why should multiple lives be any different?

I have the sense of being reborn when I wake up each morning.