• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you are one religion, do you read, and accept other religious works?

Raban

Hagian
To further elucidate my question, I would like to clarify one thing first. I do not mean to necessarily accept that other religions or their works are true. I am just curious however if you generally would read various religious or non-religious works from other traditions, and value their wisdom and teachings. Or would you typically disregard them?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I try to read everything. The more you know the least they can pull over on you.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
To further elucidate my question, I would like to clarify one thing first. I do not mean to necessarily accept that other religions or their works are true. I am just curious however if you generally would read various religious or non-religious works from other traditions, and value their wisdom and teachings. Or would you typically disregard them?

I read and appreciate them.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I read and appreciate unless the teachings are terrible. I generally tend to enjoy scriptures from Eastern religions as they are less likely to focus on how everyone is evil and going to hell.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

understanding what other people believe is important, so reading their literature for the purpose of learning about them is quite acceptable.

TommyDar

As a former Muslim I completely and entirely reject the Quran, the Hadiths, and the Sunnah of mohammed.

However I do read some Hindu and Buddhist books for their philosophical significance these days.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Somehow I don't think members of something called Religious Education Forums is going to give you a typical demographic sampling, Raban. ;)

Levite

Higher and Higher

I read books from all sorts of religious, philosophical, mystical, and ethical traditions. If I find things I think are useful, I use them. Either by importing them into my Jewish practice (with suitable alteration, if necessary), or by allowing them to inspire me to find or create parallels using Jewish traditional resources.

I have found much of use from many other traditions. All paths are valuable, and have interesting things to teach.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I was always interested in the scriptures and literature of world religions, and in mythology, epics, prose and poetry of ancient cultures.
I read the Qurán and the New Testament in two languages, and I hope to some day read them in the original Classical Arabic and Koine Greek. But I am greatful for the fact that I read the Bible in Classical Hebrew which retains the intensity of the text.
My home library includes the scriptures and literature of the Norse, Egyptians, Greek, Mesopotamian, Canaanite and Levantine, Taoist, Hindu, Buddhist, Thelemite, Gnostic, the Apocrypha, medieval grimoires, and other groups, sects, and people.

I think Seyorni nailed it, many of us wouldn't be here if all we wanted to do is proclaim that our own sacred text is the grandest, absolute truth which all people should conform to.
I came here to appreciate the diversity of world religions.

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
Islam teaches that the Torah and Injil (Gospels) were in themselves perfectly good revelations, along with many others, and so it is encouraged that Muslims should in addition to studying the Qur'an study these holy texts as well, to further understand the teachings of Islam and why it teaches what it does. There are many scholars, including ordinary Muslims out there who are, as a result, very knowledgable about Scripture and about world religions.

Plus it is also a command of all Muslims to gain knowledge, and this includes religious knowledge, whether this be about Islam or any other religion. To deny this is to deny Islam.

I read everything (that is positive). I do not think God would ever want us to limit our knowledge, but beckon us to explore. After all, all Wisdom is essentially a part of God's own being!

BruceDLimber

>If you are one religion, do you read, and accept other religious works?

Read them: of course!

Accept them: depends on what they say.

Bruce

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I've done this quite a bit with Buddhist, Gnostic and Muslim teachings. But at the same time, I also recognize that my own religion has a lot of the same points. So I don't really NEED to look outside my own tradition for wisdom, but it can be refreshing to do so, and see some of the common threads. Like different martial arts coming up with the same techniques, maybe with just a few slight variations.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I am a student of world religion, so I enjoy reading the scriptures of every religion that I come across. Of course I don't accept them all, but wisdom is found even outside one's own religious tradition. I've found the teachings of the Buddha in many non-Buddhist scriptures. I've found wisdom in practically all religious texts in some way or another. All religions have something important to say; all religions have something to add to world spirituality. The trick is finding what is true and worthwhile, while quietly putting aside the rest.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
A few years ago I considered myself an anti-theist. 100% against any form of spirituality. As such, I never gave it any thought to even consider reading any religious texts.

Now that I'm more opened minded and have adopted Buddhism, I not only take inspiration and find good in other religions, I eventually want to read the Catholic Bible, The Qur'an, The Book of Mormon, The Ramayana, The Mahabharata, the Tao De Ching and the Guru Singh Sahib.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
A few years ago I considered myself an anti-theist. 100% against any form of spirituality. As such, I never gave it any thought to even consider reading any religious texts.

Now that I'm more opened minded and have adopted Buddhism, I not only take inspiration and find good in other religions, I eventually want to read the Catholic Bible, The Qur'an, The Book of Mormon, The Ramayana, The Mahabharata, the Tao De Ching and the Guru Singh Sahib.

All revealed religions from origin are from one source-the one true creator God; hence the similarities; the differences give us an oppurtunity to search as to when error arised in a particular religion that also gives a good experience.

Therefore there is no harm in reading other revealed religions, it broadens one's vision.

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!

Regarding the Qur'an, it is worth seeking out a good version with a commentary, which will make it a lot easier to read the text in translation.