• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you are from Detroit you may not be able to read!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I'm from Detroit and I read pretty well and on that note, If you aint never been to Detroit, don't ever come to Detroit, because you would'nt understand Detroit, so stay the **** out of Detroit. XOXO

No problem -one of my goals in life is to avoid even the most remote possibility of ever having to go near Detroit.

I ain't never gonna go to &*^%ing Detroit. Oops, see how it's already rubbing off on me? What I meant to say is that I am never going to Detroit if I can help it.

Kathryn

The U.S. educational system at work. Ain't it great?

Please don't judge the majority of the US educational system by that cesspool of a city. Detroit is just about the worst of the worst.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No problem -one of my goals in life is to avoid even the most remote possibility of ever having to go near Detroit.

I ain't never gonna go to &*^%ing Detroit. Oops, see how it's already rubbing off on me? What I meant to say is that I am never going to Detroit if I can help it.
If you like Middle Eastern food, you owe it to yourself to visit the area.
(If you do Weight Watchers, you'll be using your "cheat day".)
More importantly, some of the finest engine collections in the world are here.
Let me know when you arrive!

Kathryn

Out of the fifty states, Michigan has the fifth highest unemployment rate.
Articles > Detroit's Unemployment Rate Is Nearly 50%

Detroit made Forbes "20 Most Miserable Cities" list.
High unemployment puts Flint and Detroit on Forbes list of 20 most miserable cities | MLive.com
No. 15 Detroit, Mich.

Crime, unemployment and foreclosures are among the many problems bedeviling Detroit. Motown has closed 59 schools the past two years, and a recent study suggested that the city will need to close half of the remaining 142 public schools over the next two years. The moves would lead to high school class sizes of 62 students.

(Might explain that illiteracy rate...)

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Alot of the kids are'nt going to school, and alot of the parents don't care. The only thing that can save Detroit is people from Detroit. Hopefully we'll wake up one day.
*nods*

In my humble opinion, I think parental involvement is the biggest key. If you want your children to do well, you will move Heaven and Earth to get it done.

I've met many parents who raise their children with a "Whatever..." attitude. They give birth, they shelter, feed, and clothe them, but that's about it. They expect the educational system to do the rest.

Then again, I tend to be critical of other parents. I'm not sure if I'm right on the money or just being a pill.

Rakhel

New York is just as bad. 12 high schools closed last year, no telling how many this year(at least 3 of the 5 public high schools on Staten Island, alone, are at risk of closing).
Most schools aren't even teaching the curriculum.

Kathryn

If you like Middle Eastern food, you owe it to yourself to visit the area.
(If you do Weight Watchers, you'll be using your "cheat day".)
More importantly, some of the finest engine collections in the world are here.
Let me know when you arrive!

Well, I didn't realize that Detroit is in Revoltistan!

As for the Middle Eastern food...hmmmm, that is a draw. Love me some hummus and some schwarmas...(I probably didn't spell that right but I am a product of a US public school education...)

I'll call when I arrive! :cool:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm wondering if these students have parents that can even read? One thing for certain, these illiterate people will have children. One can only wonder how they will turn out.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I'm wondering if these students have parents that can even read?
I was wondering the same exact thing.

And in that category, I'm sure there are those who recognize their limitations and aren't afraid to work to overcome them, both for themselves and their children.

Yet how many suffer from a degree of apathy? How many think, "I get along just fine. He'll (the child) make his way too."

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Yet how many suffer from a degree of apathy? How many think, "I get along just fine. He'll (the child) make his way too."

I may be wrong but, I thought almost every parent wants their children to have a better life than they have.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, I didn't realize that Detroit is in Revoltistan!
As for the Middle Eastern food...hmmmm, that is a draw. Love me some hummus and some schwarmas...(I probably didn't spell that right but I am a product of a US public school education...)
I'll call when I arrive! :cool:
There's a border dispute looming.....Detroit is contiguous to Revoltistan, but we're eyeing it....lots'o vacant land.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Could it be that being illiterate can be helpful to maintain the status quo for some folks?
I've never considered that. I'd hate to think so. I can't imagine that kind of "status quo" would be appealing.

One thought I had ~ people having children who really shouldn't be having children. I'm not talking for economic reasons either. Heck, I see it in my middle-class neighborhood.

I'm talking about those who just mindlessly get pregnant, figuring that's the next expected step, without really thinking about what they've signed up for. Parenting isn't just a job. It's not the goal of getting a degree or futhering one's career. It's the raising of a human being.

I swear some people just don't consider that last part carefully enough.

Rakhel

I may be wrong but, I thought almost every parent wants their children to have a better life than they have.
It's not just the parents. Sometimes it's the kids. They figure that if their parents got by without learning how to read, they should have the same privilege.
One of my cousins is like this. His father ran a successful logging business and was illiterate. My cousin thought, "if daddy can do that, why do I need to know how to read?"
What he didn't know was that without Momma, Daddy wouldn't have been as successful as he was. She did all the Readin',Ritin', n Rithmatic.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm wondering if these students have parents that can even read? One thing for certain, these illiterate people will have children. One can only wonder how they will turn out.
Based on statistics, it's very likely most of them don't. And these kids, who can't read, whose parent's can't read, will likely have children who can't read. The high poverty rate adds to enforce this. It's a very vicious cycle.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Based on statistics, it's very likely most of them don't. And these kids, who can't read, whose parent's can't read, will likely have children who can't read. The high poverty rate adds to enforce this. It's a very vicious cycle.

It's also insanity to continue doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's also insanity to continue doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
It is. I would be interesting though to study why these schools are doing so bad, to fix them and have a since of the extremes that cause such failures. Maybe it's the curriculum, maybe it's that people can't get the kids to care. It might be funding, it might be the teachers. The parents and environment play a role, but that high of a rate has to be more than that.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
A member of the Moorish Science Temple of America told me that the Late Noble Drew Ali ( hotep ) said that Detroit and Chicago would fail. I wonder if this is his prophecy coming to pass.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
It is. I would be interesting though to study why these schools are doing so bad, to fix them and have a since of the extremes that cause such failures. Maybe it's the curriculum, maybe it's that people can't get the kids to care. It might be funding, it might be the teachers. The parents and environment play a role, but that high of a rate has to be more than that.

I would have to say, "all of the above". For the life of me, I cannot see a child going to school for 12+ years and cannot read.

The kid did not care.
The parents did not care.
The teachers did not care.
The school board did not care.
The principle did not care.
The fellow students did not care.

You cannot tell me it is the fault of the curriculum.

Do you not think these children would have not enjoyed text messaging each other?

I cannot believe ANY child would not want to read.