• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If we were immortal...

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
.....we could be tortured and otherwise suffer forever. So maybe our mortality in this life,is a blessing, not a curse because Adam and Eve ate an apple. Or put another way, the curse was a blessing. And the Tree of Life in a world where anyone and everyone has free will, would be the source of that curse--making the Eden analogy make sense? Agree, yes? :) :( :mad: :rolleyes:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
.....we could be tortured and otherwise suffer forever. So maybe our mortality in this life,is a blessing, not a curse because Adam and Eve ate an apple. Or put another way, the curse was a blessing. And the Tree of Life in a world where anyone and everyone has free will, would be the source of that curse--making the Eden analogy make sense? Agree, yes? :) :( :mad: :rolleyes:
I would agree that is more of a blessing than a curse. Death scares me, but the thought of living forever is also scary in a different way. Eventually, life would lose meaning. Then what?

Aiviu

It first was a gift then it was a torment. Was it intented to make us understand we can handle love to the same kind of us?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I'd say if Adam and Eve hadn't eaten the apple there would be no such thing as torture. Death is a blessing for the Christian because it is leaving this spiritually war torn planet and going home to God.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Why do you assume it's any better when we no longer suck air?

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I would agree that is more of a blessing than a curse. Death scares me, but the thought of living forever is also scary in a different way. Eventually, life would lose meaning. Then what?

This life, or the next?

It first was a gift then it was a torment. Was it intented to make us understand we can handle love to the same kind of us?

???

I'd say if Adam and Eve hadn't eaten the apple there would be no such thing as torture. Death is a blessing for the Christian because it is leaving this spiritually war torn planet and going home to God.

Maybe more than just Christians. And "going home to God" could be just another phrase for a Hereafter of the infinitely possible.

Think it is a great test to help eliminate, those who don't want to live in a reality like this for infinity. :innocent:

Who says the Hereafter is a reality like this? Couldn't this just be a test to see if you qualify for having free will without death.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
I certainly would not want to be immortal. The gods are said to be immortal in certain mythologies and I can't help but be glad I'm not immortal because they have had to suffer great loses and emotional turmoil for eternity.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I certainly would not want to be immortal. The gods are said to be immortal in certain mythologies and I can't help but be glad I'm not immortal because they have had to suffer great loses and emotional turmoil for eternity.

But what if an eternal hereafter is not like that, that there are an infinite paths to fulfillment? What, you can't imagine any possible existence that would be better than this? I'm a cynic, but not an unfounded one.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Maybe you should look around first. But I suppose everyone would have an oblivion button in case they think it sucks.
Oh, I'd explore for a few thousand years or so, preferably in solitude. But it's really all the same in the end, anyway. Hell, I'm only 26 years old and I'm already tired of this reality.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
And be trapped in these material bodies? Forever? No thanks! There is no such thing as immortality. Everything is transistional. Nothing lasts forever.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
And "going home to God" could be just another phrase for a Hereafter of the infinitely possible.
When you say a hereafter of the infinitely possible, do you mean reincarnation or that the afterlife is symbolic of someone's memory of that person or what?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Who says the Hereafter is a reality like this?
Wasn't meaning that; what is prophesied is this world we're in currently shall be remade, and there being no death....

Yet if people hate it here, which clearly many Abrahamic religious people do seem to, by their declarations against sex, music, God given drugs, partying, being like a child, etc....

Then why bring them to live in the Messianic age, if they think here is torture, and are looking forward to death. :confused:
Couldn't this just be a test to see if you qualify for having free will without death.
The religious texts are a test, to see if with free will we fall for all the silly bits in them.

You do realize the Genesis story, says that God is a liar, and talking snakes tell the truth?

'If you eat of the fruit you will die'... 'No, you will get the knowledge of good and evil.' :innocent:

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Yet if people hate it here, which clearly many Abrahamic religious people do seem to, by their declarations against sex, music, God given drugs, partying, being like a child, etc....

Then why bring them to live in the Messianic age, if they think here is torture, and are looking forward to death.
Lol.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
But what if an eternal hereafter is not like that, that there are an infinite paths to fulfillment? What, you can't imagine any possible existence that would be better than this? I'm a cynic, but not an unfounded one.

It's entirely possible that the afterlife can be pleasant or paradisiacal for those who deserve it, but certainly not this reality.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I disagree, no surprise:). We all evolve slowly but surely spiritually upwards until we realize it is all One and our sense of ego separateness evaporates. This is more of a blessing than the 'one and done' scenario.

ThirtyThree

Yet if people hate it here, which clearly many Abrahamic religious people do seem to, by their declarations against sex, music, God given drugs, partying, being like a child, etc..

Then why bring them to live in the Messianic age, if they think here is torture, and are looking forward to death. :confused:

The religious texts are a test, to see if with free will we fall for all the silly bits in them.

You do realize the Genesis story, says that God is a liar, and talking snakes tell the truth?

'If you eat of the fruit you will die'... 'No, you will get the knowledge of good and evil.' :innocent:

I am just going to finally say it. I have read many of your posts and I sincerely believe you are a crack pot hippy who needs a shave and a haircut in the most desperate way.

First, no snakes spoke in the Bible. A shining one did. Second, the lie was that they, Adam and Eve, would not surely die because they did. They were separated from Eden and physical death was brought into the world as well as much suffering.

Please, learn something about the Bible before you ignorantly say things regarding it.