• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If we stopped being so dependent on big corporations

Milton Platt

Why are people thinking we must have big corporations to run our lives? Why do we not go back to each family-supporting themself with food and being more of a society that helps each other on farms, or in small businesses that are needed to have small communities?

Family-run bakery, woodshops, farmers, blacksmith and so on. why the big overproduction of products?
If we where less dependent on government and rich people we would maybe live more happy feel freer?

And how would that fare for the folks in the large cities?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I dont understand why people like cities anyway....
Cities aren't just the technological centers of the world, they're also the cultural centers of the world. It should be no surprise to anyone that most major philosophies and religions got started in cities, where there's more educational resource and public discourse. It's also where most artistic revolutions, both visual and musical and written, start.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Cities aren't just the technological centers of the world, they're also the cultural centers of the world. It should be no surprise to anyone that most major philosophies and religions got started in cities, where there's more educational resource and public discourse. It's also where most artistic revolutions, both visual and musical and written, start.
it was probably not created in cities with millions of peoples. :confused:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
it was probably not created in cities with millions of peoples. :confused:
Depends on what you're talking about. Most modern music and art styles certainly did. And while the others may not have, they started in what was equivocally big cities for their time. Population has grown, but the benefits of cities (and their drawbacks) remain mostly unchanged. If it weren't for city life, huge swaths of our culture wouldn't exist.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Depends on what you're talking about. Most modern music and art styles certainly did. And while the others may not have, they started in what was equivocally big cities for their time. Population has grown, but the benefits of cities (and their drawbacks) remain mostly unchanged. If it weren't for city life, huge swaths of our culture wouldn't exist.
:nobikes::noentry::nomobile::nonpotablewater::nopedestrians::customs::metro::circle::backwarrow::endwarrow: :shrug: i dont like cities :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I dont understand why people like cities anyway....
A few things I thought of....
There is a greater variety of restaurants, social activities, museums, & businesses.
One can walk to work or take public transportation, thereby not even owning a car.

But cities are too crowded & spendy for me.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A few things I thought of....
There is a greater variety of restaurants, social activities, museums, & businesses.
One can walk to work or take public transportation, thereby not even owning a car.

But cities are too crowded & spendy for me.
in my view the only thing that is "better" in the city is the public transport. The rest of those things are not something i use, but again others may think differently then i do

dfnj

those with power and influence will use it to maintain it, pulling every string they can to keep things the way that best benefits them.

I agree. The people in power are gaming the system to their advantage. Even worse corporations have become our government.

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power." Benito Mussolini

Here's a really good video on "American Style Fascism":

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
in my view the only thing that is "better" in the city is the public transport. The rest of those things are not something i use, but again others may think differently then i do
My daughter likes living in NYC.
She especially likes the variety of restaurants, particularly the various asian ones.
I hate NYC....crowded, dirty, spendy, & filled with racist black folk who dislike whitey.
Such has been my experience.

Looking outside me windows, I see snow covered trees.
That's a fine view.
Won't get that in a big city.

Shad

Veteran Member
Why are people thinking we must have big corporations to run our lives? Why do we not go back to each family-supporting themself with food and being more of a society that helps each other on farms, or in small businesses that are needed to have small communities?

You need to research what farming actually is and requires. Corporation exist as subsistence farming is does not result in a healthy individual nor is it possible on most of the planet. There is also the requirement of land to yield ratios. How much land do you think it will require for 7 billion people to get enough to feed themselves? Toss in training unless you agree with Bloomberg's "plant a seed duh" farming techniques. Also consider landlocked areas and fishing. Food which requires specific climate and environments. You propose going back to a pre-industrial revolution state of civilizations and mass starvation.

Family-run bakery

Where do they get the grain from? What if the area can not support grain? In Canada the northern territories will starve as the area is not suitable for farming. Individuals are not going to drive for days to the south just to get flour. They will just move. Which in turn causes the collapse of the ore industry in the north. Which in turn means Canada needs to import ore. Ergo we are back to corporations.

woodshops

Where does someone living on the prairies get wood from?

A large portion of farms are independently owned. Where does the arable land come from for 7 billion people? Unless you proposal stealing it from existing landowners

blacksmith

Limited production. Kiss steel are a normal commodity good bye. Again this is nothing short of a pre-industrial revolution era and mass starvation

and so on. why the big overproduction of products?

Demand.

If we where less dependent on government and rich people we would maybe live more happy feel freer?

Be free with your high mortality rate and the 16th century.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You need to research what farming actually is and requires. Corporation exist as subsistence farming is does not result in a healthy individual nor is it possible on most of the planet. There is also the requirement of land to yield ratios. How much land do you think it will require for 7 billion people to get enough to feed themselves? Toss in training unless you agree with Bloomberg's "plant a seed duh" farming techniques. Also consider landlocked areas and fishing. Food which requires specific climate and environments. You propose going back to a pre-industrial revolution state of civilizations and mass starvation.

Where do they get the grain from? What if the area can not support grain? In Canada the northern territories will starve as the area is not suitable for farming.

Where does someone living on the prairies get wood from?

A large portion of farms are independently owned. Where does the arable land come from for 7 billion people? Unless you proposal stealing it from existing landowners

Limited production. Kiss steel are a normal commodity good bye. Again this is nothing short of a pre-industrial revolution era and mass starvation

Demand.

Be free with your high mortality rate and the 16th century.
Yes i would like to go back before the industrial revolution because i do think we humans have destroyed the world because of greed and jealousy of money. But i do not ask other to think like me.

Shad

Veteran Member
Yes i would like to go back before the industrial revolution because i do think we humans have destroyed the world because of greed and jealousy of money. But i do not ask other to think like me.

You are still going to starve. Have fun with that. You can collect your Darwin award at the exit.

Again research the topics you are talking about. Open a history book comparing the world before and after the industrial revolution not merely one about the environment. Your ideas are not merely bad and ignorant but outright dangerous. You might as well put a gun to your head.

Shad

Veteran Member
I grew up on a farm, so i am not afraid of not making enough food for my self.

So did I. The obvious difference is that I was a farmer and you just grow up on one. Sask is not the area to grow oranges. Where do you think I got oranges from? Heck most of the fruit I ate?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So did I. The obvious difference is that I was a farmer and you just grow up on one. Sask is not the area to grow oranges. Where do you think I got oranges from? Heck most of the fruit I ate?
I have no interest in discussing what can not be done or what i can be doing :) I know i can do it, at least enough to survive and that is all i need. Living off the land was how people did it before so why should we not be able to do it now? Laziness?